SASS Wire Forum

Cobra Derringer

Rip Snorter

Looking at some new stuff for SASS - never owned a Derringer, can't imagine any circumstance where I would need to fall that far back for self defense, been carrying lawfully for 25 years, same guns same carry places.  It will be a sometimes ( Maybe rarely)  used piece for side matches.  Based on that and price, what about a Cobra in 38?  Actual experience, good or bad appreciated.  The new owners seem to have a good guarantee.

Okay, the Cobras are made cheap. Some guns are inexpensive, these are cheap. Go into that expecting it. If you are looking for something for side matches, I would consider a used H&R or Iver Johnson top break before one of the Cobras.

If you don't mind a die cast pot metal gun with an unmeasureably heavy trigger pull it is the gun for you.  Do a little research.  Lots of info on these clunkers.  Here is one review.

I have one. I knew what I was in for before I bought it. The triggers on these are notoriously horrible. Has to do with the location of the pivot point of the trigger. That being said, I am the right kind of “not right” to enjoy shooting it. I also have a Davis 22 that is essentially the same as the cobra. 

if I was planning on carrying it for defense, I would have picked a Bond.  I got it just for fun and I am happy with that. It is all about managing your expectations. 

21 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Okay, the Cobras are made cheap. Some guns are inexpensive, these are cheap. Go into that expecting it. If you are looking for something for side matches, I would consider a used H&R or Iver Johnson top break before one of the Cobras.

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

If you don't mind a die cast pot metal gun with an unmeasureably heavy trigger pull it is the gun for you.  Do a little research.  Lots of info on these clunkers.  Here is one review.

Thanks a lot! 

I will say that a full case of FFFg under a Snakebite Big Lube Boolit in one of these is a HOOT to shoot at twilight. :D

Honestly, mine rides around with snake shot and has only been used at one annual since I bought it many moons ago.  It is okay for what I use it for now, but would go for a Bond if I was doing it again.

2 minutes ago, Modoc said:

I will say that a full case of FFFg under a Snakebite Big Lube Boolit in one of these is a HOOT to shoot at twilight. :D

Honestly, mine rides around with snake shot and has only been used at one annual since I bought it many moons ago.  It is okay for what I use it for now, but would go for a Bond if I was doing it again.

Thanks! I usually end up shooting rattle snakes and varmints with CCW rounds out of my 1911 because I always have it  - expensive, but it works.  I can imagine a globe of fire from your load!  :P

I think that I have used it more in NRA Range Safety Officer classes as a demo for things to watch for Safety than anything else.  But that would be true of ANY of this style Derringer. 

My son's father in law brought one to our cabin to shoot. New. It fired the first two shots. when he opened it up a piece of something fell out and it never fired again. I refused to even look at it.

For side matches it isn't all that bad. Never as a carry weapon as it needs a sronger hammer spring to reliably fire the lower barrel. I pull the spring and stretch ot once a year or so before taking it to a side match. 

Simply slip hammer it for CAS and never think you can aim it, just point and shoot.

I have a nice Bond now and it like going from Little League to the majors.

Doc Nelson

I had one and sent it back because it was so horrible.  Then I bought a Bond and am very happy with it.

9 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I had one and sent it back because it was so horrible.  Then I bought a Bond and am very happy with it.

Thanks - the Bond arms ones are well made but also have a reputation for difficult triggers, and are expensive as well.  Half way to a good '73 which would be a better choice since it will equip me for classic cowboy. Probably just pass on the side matches.

A few years ago I picked up a used Cobra .38 special with holster, it was everything the video posted by Larson said. However I changed springs using ruger springs that I had at home, now it's a nice little derringer, cocks easily, decent trigger pull. Would I recommend buying one? Not really. Pretty sure they design them to be difficult to cock and pull the trigger for safety reasons considering the size and how they are likely to be carried.

I did not hear the guy in the video saying to go to half cock before loading. if you don't put the hammer in half cock, one firing pin is extended and the round is being closed onto the firing pin and the round can go off when closing the barrel quickly. 

Derringer's are dangerous little guns. 

I have a Davis derringer, which is the same as the Cobra, in .38 Special.  Yes, it's cheaply made.  I did some action work on it, including a spring and it's much better now than when I first got it.  I understand, based on others posts, that quality is hit or miss on these (mostly miss, probably).  Certainly, the Bonds are much better quality.  Is my Davis fun to shoot?  Yes.  Do I shoot it a lot?  Not really, but I enjoy it when I do.  I shoot an occasional side match with it, using .38 Short Colt ammo that duplicates the original .41 rimfire as far as bullet weight and velocity are concerned.  I won't win any matches with it, but I wouldn't win any with a Bond either.  I've never felt the need to go out and buy a Bond.  I've never felt the need to sell my Davis either.  Even made some fancy maple grips for it.  But it sounds like some of the new Bonds can be had for a pretty reasonable price these days.

If you show up at a Derringer side match, someone will likely let you shoot their derringer and you can try them out for yourself and make up your own mind.

30 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I have a Bond that I’ve used in side matches and for general fun. Yes, it’s probably the most expensive gun I ever bought on a dollar-per-pound basis. 

I would not touch a Cobra derringer. 

30 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I have a Bond that I’ve used in side matches and for general fun. Yes, it’s probably the most expensive gun I ever bought on a dollar-per-pound basis. 

I would not touch a Cobra derringer. 

I don't like cheap guns, so will push back on the Derringer and concentrate on a '73 in .45 Colt.  That will let me shoot Classic if i want to.  Thanks!

Archived