SASS Wire Forum

Today's conundrum

Tennessee williams

In thousands of rounds with AA's and Green Reminto's I have never seen this happen. Using a couple of Mec Jr's and a Texan.

Well, after thousands of rounds on a MEC size master I have never seen that happen. 

Reno had 2 that did that last Sunday when we practiced and he had at least 2 that did that one other practice session. I have no idea what causes it, he doesn’t load with a MEC. 

RANDY 

21 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Reno had 2 that did that last Sunday when we practiced and he had at least 2 that did that one other practice session. I have no idea what causes it, he doesn’t load with a MEC. 

RANDY 

I don't load with a Mec either, but I resize with the Mec supersizer. If he does too, there's a common denominator. The hull pulled right off the end on to my dillon die. That makes for a mess!

I use a MEC Grabber and B4 that a MEC 600 jr. and have never had that happen! Maybe it's premature brass scraping.;)

1 hour ago, Tn Tombstone said:

Might not want to use WIdders cast offs.

TN and Red Knee have been the preferred recipients of my used hulls.  :lol:

I got Red Knee believing that the secret to speed is in the hulls.

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

2 out of 33 reloads separated. I hadone do this last batch also. Did o get some less than stellar hulls? One thought is I size with a Mec sizer. Is it possible to go too tight? Thoughts?

20220205_234059.thumb.jpg.c294b81def0742ffadcd1ae8a31dc8d7.jpg

We use Mech...never had THAT happen.

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

TN and Red Knee have been the preferred recipients of my used hulls.  :lol:

I got Red Knee believing that the secret to speed is in the hulls.

..........Widder

Dang Widder, you told me the secret to speed is to pull the trigger harder! :o

Kajun

We've had that happen and load with a Dillon too but don't use a Sizemaster.  We stopped using the STS's because Schwaby FINALLY got the AA's to load somewhat decently and won't mess with the press to switch over to the STS's.  So we never figured out what caused it.

Roper

6 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I don't load with a Mec either, but I resize with the Mec supersizer. If he does too, there's a common denominator. The hull pulled right off the end on to my dillon die. That makes for a mess!

Reno doesn’t use a Supersizer either. 

Randy

I wonder if a couple of drops of superglue on match loads would work.  I assume the casing stays in the chamber, some kind of tool to remove it needed as well - I know they have one one for the M 16, and back in the day for other weapons.

TW Are those loaded on the Dillon 900? The size die may be set too low and not releasing before the shell plate starts down. I have had this happen once on the press when I changed the die collet. I raised the die slightly and it has not happened since.

Imis

1 hour ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

TW Are those loaded on the Dillon 900? The size die may be set too low and not releasing before the shell plate starts down. I have had this happen once on the press when I changed the die collet. I raised the die slightly and it has not happened since.

Imis

Maybe that's it. It makes a mess in the press!

10 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

2 out of 33 reloads separated. I hadone do this last batch also. Did o get some less than stellar hulls? One thought is I size with a Mec sizer. Is it possible to go too tight? Thoughts?

I use a MEC 9000g followed by a Super Sizer.  I've also been using the new Roger Rapid die to cone the ends.  I recently had one once-fired STS hull separate like yours, out of about 1,000 loaded rounds.  It separated when I withdrew it from the RR coning die.   I've used the 9000 or my previous MEC Sizemaster, both with the Super Sizer and once-fired STS hulls for a number of years, never before having a separation.  

TW, have you got a cookie sheet or something under the SG press to catch straying BBs or powder? Took me two times cleaning up a mess before I did that. 

Kajun

7 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

TW, have you got a cookie sheet or something under the SG press to catch straying BBs or powder? Took me two times cleaning up a mess before I did that. 

Kajun

We use a plastic boot tray.  

As for the hulls coming apart we've had them happen in the press during the loading process and when shooting.  Haven't had one happen yet with the AA's.  (Just jinxed myself.)  But the AA's certainly have their own quality issues.  I have about a third of a box of factory shells that the base metal is mutilated in some fashion with chunks out of it or is peeled back.

12 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

To clarify, the hull separated in the press. It just pulled right off there. 3rd or 4th one so far. Brand new hulls. They went straight from the super sizer to the dillon. It separated at the powder drop station. Pretty weird.

You may need to hang a couple of chicken's feet on the press to ward off the bad Ju Ju!

Thanks

Randy

17 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

To clarify, the hull separated in the press. It just pulled right off there. 3rd or 4th one so far. Brand new hulls. They went straight from the super sizer to the dillon. It separated at the powder drop station. Pretty weird.

I have a dillon 900 and have been doing some quantity loading of Rem Sts hulls over winter and have it happen maybe 4-5 hulls, IN the station #2.   Hull is stuck up in the powder die and the base is still sitting on the shell plate.   Mostly happened to Rem. Gold sts hulls.   Maybe only 1 green from my experience.  Never figured out issue.  Pain to whack that hull out of station 2 die and then a pain to clean.   If someone comes up with a solution, I'm interested.   I'm loading mainly at least once/twice fired hulls though.

Not at all uncommon.  The STS series of Remington hulls (STS, Nitro, Gun Cub) are the last remaining extruded hulls.  The casing is formed and then the rim is crimped on.  Sometimes the crimping process gets out of adjustment and you will hit a batch where several rims come off.  I have had STS and Nitros separate and it had nothing to do with the SuperSizer.  I have my SuperSizer and the collet in my Sizemaster set to the maximum I can adjust them short of breaking the fingers.  Had several once fired STS's separate on my Spolar a couple of days ago.  It is electrically operated and when this happens it makes a mess of spilled powder and shot.  In the photo one case had the rim separate and the primer got jammed sideways in the rim section.  On another jam the rim came off and the plastic hull stayed in the decapping die.  The next round came up and smashed everything.  Part of the fun of reloading shotgun shells.

DSC_0003.thumb.jpeg.ce3fb00a27475a7fd463dec8f5dea676.jpeg

8 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

You may need to hang a couple of chicken's feet on the press to ward off the bad Ju Ju!

Thanks

Randy

Who knows, maybe someone slipped some voodoo stuff into his gear at the Regional and he just hasn't found it yet.  Or maybe not....only one way to tell.

23 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Kajun

Dang Kajun. Good idea. Appreciate ya!

On 2/6/2022 at 11:31 AM, Tennessee williams said:

Never seen that happen in 25 years of reloading shotgun. I've used a couple different MEC's and a Lee Load All II.

Archived