SASS Wire Forum

How to reduce cocking force on 1873 rifle?

The Revenuer

I have a Uberti 1873 rifle, the action is very smooth and easy until the firing pin extension starts to break over the top edge of the hammer.  Then it take significantly more force to complete cocking.  How can this force be reduced?

InkedLever_LI.jpg

I take it this is a stock rifle?  That bump can be reduced and smoothed, but not too much.  And lightening the main spring will help as well.

I mean the bump on the firing pin extension.  The edge on the hammer can be polished smooth.

Flatten the angle on the firing pin extension from that 45 degs to about 30degs. Polish the hammer face but don't grind or remove any material.

Replace main spring with a superlight light spring from Longhunter in Texas or Roy's Creek Dan in OK.

The force needed to cock the hammer is probably 95+% from the hammer spring tension, rather than surface friction at the hammer tang, so try adjusting the spring tension before removing or polishing any metal.  Check after adjustment to be sure the firing pin will still solidly hit the primers you are using

Be sure not to grind on the hammer face.  The metal is surface hardened only, and if you grind through the hard surface, the FP extension will begin to cut transverse wear grooves across the face (see photo) which will gradually increase the cocking drag and dish the hammer face to where primer detonation becomes affected.  I like to put just a small dab of grease on the tip of the FP extension to reduce its friction. 

16441822000236757891308375317397.jpg

If you seriously want to smooth out your 73, I suggest you install a one-piece firing pin kit and tuned main spring from Snake Oil George out of Oklahoma. I got one in mine and without any exaggeration I can literally run the lever with one finger. You run the main spring super light and your still able to pop any brand of primer. You send him your complete bolt and hammer and he performs his magic on it. Hes a real honest guy to deal with. Just a suggestion.  

Archived