SASS Wire Forum

Reliable BP pistol, current manufacture.

Bones Z

Pietta 1858 Remington.  Fine straight from the box, a little better with aftermarket nipples and a slightly less heavy hammer spring

Anything in current production is going to need some tuning to be reliable for shooting in a CAS match. At a minimum the nipples will need to be replaced. I would also stay away from brass framed designs as their lifespan is reduced by shooting heavy loads.

All open tops manufactured by either Uberti or Pietta need to have their respective manufacturing deficiencies corrected by using the excellent instruction that Larsen Pettifogger was kind enough to share with the CAS community. I'll leave a link to them below.

The 58 Remington's have their own issues and will need proper care to make it through a CAS match.

Bottom line is all of the above can be very reliable and trouble free with a minimal amount of tuning that you can easily do yourself.

I have an Uberti 1860 Army, that I purchased in 1967. 

Other than replacing the cones, and the cylinder stop spring, I am still shooting it. 

I will say that Pietta has come a long way, in quality...although I do wish they would remove some of the stupid barrel markings, or hide them. 

Stick with a steel-framed revolver, over a brass framed one, regardless of which brand you choose. 

You can get either brand, Uberti, or Pietta, tuned, by someone that knows how, or you can do a lot of it yourself, with some tutorials off the internet.

If just starting out, I would lean toward getting a reproduction of the 1851 Colt Navy, in .36 caliber...steel frame, of course. 

They look great, are cheap to shoot, don't recoil much, and with that large arbor, or cylinder pin, they don't seize up as quickly, if you lube them correctly. 

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

1872 Opentops in 44 Special, using ffg powder.

3 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I went with most reliable and technically they are manufactured by a current manufacturer. Unlike Army San Marcos or Colt.

Can anyone else hear that creaking sound of a long bow being drawn to full stretch:P

A cut and paste from the local used gun site re a ROA.

Don't you guys dare complain about your prices!

Calibre/Item: 44 BP

Make: RUGER
Model: OLD ARMY
Condition: Excellent
Price: $1450 ($1033 USD)
Advertised: 05/02/2022

SOLD

17 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

Don't you guys dare complain about your prices!

ROA's are expensive because they aren't making new ones. They are the most reliable and almost never ever break. I have every pistol mentioned on here. I have shot them all in competition. Except for my ROA's they all sit in the safe.

Old Army - specifically not what the OP asked about.   May be great, probably not affordable any more. 

good luck, GJ

Archived