SASS Wire Forum

Lower Recoil

Semper Fi Cowboy

I think 160-grain bullets are available. That's about the same as the 158-grain .38/.357 pills.

https://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/proddetail.php?prod=45-160-Grain-RNFP-Qty-1000

Bayou Bullets is my favorite supplier of coated bullets. Their shipping time for my last 2 shipments from October and November was about 2 months. They were taking 4-5 months for a while. It wasn't an issue for me because I had other bullets to load. If you need them quick you might consider some others. Hopefully Bayou is getting caught up. 

8 hours ago, Sarge said:

Scarlett Darlin is also a supplier of the 160 grn powdercoated bullets.

+1.

And you get a hug.

10 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Have had great results with Bayou Bullets, Miculek family.  They were fast to deliver even during the great component drought.

Donnie Miculek hasn’t owned Bayou in quite a while... He sold it to concentrate on being the supplier for the Hi-Tek coating in the US.

1 minute ago, Cayuse Jack, SASS #19407 said:

Donnie Miculek hasn’t owned Bayou in quite a while... He sold it to concentrate on being the supplier for the Hi-Tek coating in the US.

Thanks - didn't know, and there has been no change in doing business with them, other than I haven't gotten a response from them on a recent suggestion.  I thought they might offer a silver coating for Cowboy Shooters - Hi Yo Silver!

Well Dang  :mellow:

None of the above :rolleyes:   

Give Shootin Fox a missive for the 130Gr BARNSTORMER bullet.  Absolutely fantastical .45 Bullet.  FOR PISTOLS ONLY.  Perfect pistol bullet but does NOT play well in a rifle.

due to arthritis and a carpal tunnel injury I have lighter loads for my revolvers than my rifle

use a felt tip on the heads to tell difference

I use a 160 grain bullet from a Lee mold

3.5 gr Red Dot

nice light load out of original Ruger Vaqueros (the old large frame ones)

20 hours ago, Semper Fi Cowboy said:

I want to start reloading my .45 Colt ammunition, but need some advice on what to use to achieve the lowest recoil. I have everything but the lead bullets! I would appreciate any help you can offer!

Thanks everyone for your input! It was really helpful!!

If using a bullet so light for caliber as 160 or less, one would have to be mindful of the SASS limit of 1000 fps for pistols. A load like that in a big gun could feel light and be faster than expected.

Howdy Pard

Lower down on this page is my post, “Mild load for 45 Colt”. 

I tried a load of 4 grains Unique with a 160 grain bullet. Worked well.

The post received quite a few responses. Many good Pards offered excellent suggestions for additional mild loads for 45 Colt. Some good info there.

Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

Archived