SASS Wire Forum

Need help identifying a tool

Flaco Joe

Image link would not open for me

Sorry about the image link. It shows up for me.  I’ve attached some still photos.

It is knurled cylinder with a spring loaded center pin. The center pin will draw backward out of the knurled cylinder and snap back under spring power when released. I thought it might be a center punch, or maybe a tool for removing a primer? But the spring feels too weak to be an effective de-priming tool.

The center pin is graduated on the shaft. I tried to get some of the numbers that are roll embossed on the sliding center pin.

Thanks

172AE83D-329A-497A-B1D6-5F27C9ED1751.jpeg

834D2D48-ECC9-40C1-9A05-9A68849E935E.jpeg

578D6F1E-3626-4370-8831-E7AF6D984E6C.jpeg

9DA6E7EA-81C7-450D-B5DA-EE07427E63B8.jpeg

1 minute ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

A depth gage graduated in millimeters maybe?

That would be my guess also, but what was it designed to measure?

Wild stab here.  Possibly a depth gauge for measuring blind holes??

You picked a good challenge. 

Sam Sackett 

What is the reading when the pin is all the way in?  How long is the pin end when the tool is at the highest reading?

Can you turn one of the knurled nobs and will the pin lock at that point?

From one who taught Machine Shop years ago, I would go with Depth Gauge.

Measuring brass case overall length without having to use a set of Micrometers.

Looks like the big brother to my tire tread depth gauge.

FJ

Want to sell it?

NCD

Looks like it would be an aperture hole gauge. Insert into a hole deep enough or a through hole, pressing up to the base and read the hole diameter on the scale. 

Could have been used to measure flash holes, although the measurement wouldn't line up the scale properly, being the flash hole is below the base of the shell, depth would have to be factored in for a correct reading.

Drill a 5/64" hole in a piece of sheet metal. Insert the gauge into the hole and the reading on the scale should be around  .078.

Answer to all the questions:

The last measure mark is “65” and when the pin is fully depressed, it would read a little past that to 60.

No, there is no way to lock the pin at a particular point. 

Yes, it is spring loaded and the top knurled end cap can twist off to reveal the internals.

Sure, I’ll sell it! I never needed it before today and without knowing what it is, likely won’t ever need it after today.

Thanks for helping with this question, everyone. 

5AC2BC57-11F4-4DE5-8982-D9715B4C215D.jpeg

FJ

Sent you a PM.

17 hours ago, Sam Sackett said:

Wild stab here.  Possibly a depth gauge for measuring blind holes??

You picked a good challenge. 

Sam Sackett 

Possibly a case depth measurement tool or for measuring the height of a shotgun shell wad collumn.

11 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Could be for measuring the dia of a hole.

My thought as well.  Set the gauge to .90 and measure the diameter of the pin just at the point where it protrudes from the base.  Set the gauge to .70 and repeat.  If the diameters match the gauge, then that's your tool.

Place the pin in a hole, slide the collar until it contacts the surface of the item with the hole in it, read the diameter of the hole.  Not as accurate as a set of pin gauges, but it will get you in the ballpark.

It's a Herter's flash hole gauge. I have one exactly like it. Used to sort cases based on flash hole diameter.

IMG_0645.jpg

@Buckshot Bob , thanks! I thought I had seen all the Trunk Monkey commercials, but had never seen that one!

Archived