SASS Wire Forum

Plus Four

Subdeacon Joe

"Cambridge undergraduates in plus fours, 1926.
Plus-fours are breeches or trousers that extend 4 inches (10 cm) below the knee (and thus four inches longer than traditional knickerbockers, hence the name). As they allow more freedom of movement than knickerbockers, they have been traditionally associated with sporting attire from the 1860s and onward, and are also particularly associated with golf.
Less known are plus-twos, plus-sixes, and plus-eights, of similar definitions.
An "extravagant, careless style that fit right in with the looser fashions and lifestyles of the 1920s," plus-fours were introduced to America by Edward, Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII),[1] during a diplomatic trip in 1924. They are often seen on golf courses, and frequently worn with argyle socks, silk neckties, and dress shirts/sweaters. Some plus fours even came as complete suits.
They were later brought back to prominence by the professional golfer Payne Stewart who wore them on the PGA Tour. 
Tintin, the fictional comic book character from The Adventures of Tintin, famously wears them.
Plus-fours are featured in André Benjamin's Benjamin Bixby clothing line, which is based on clothing worn by Ivy League athletes in the 1930s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_fours"

FB_IMG_1644100997951.jpg

I was reading about them the other day. Knickers are fairly tight fitting. Plus twos are a little bit baggier than knickers. Plus fours are baggier than plus twos (I draw your attention to the two gentlemen in the above photograph who could both put three or four other people in them pants with them).

I assume that plus eights are big enough for your pet elephant.

Rip Snorter,  I’ll see if I can find it.  I have a photo of myself and SLO Drifter at the CVR John Wayne Shootout from either 200o or 2001 and he is in his Kilt, hose, Jacobite shirt and Balmoral. 

My wool pants looked like that after they went through the washer and dryer.  Now I make sure my pants are wash and wear.  Had I known they were fashionable I wouldn't have thrown them out.

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

I was reading about them the other day. Knickers are fairly tight fitting. Plus twos are a little bit baggier than knickers. Plus fours are baggier than plus twos (I draw your attention to the two gentlemen in the above photograph who could both put three or four other people in them pants with them).

I assume that plus eights are big enough for your pet elephant.

That extra room made it easier to conceal carry a Thompson.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

The modern day equivalent

image.gay.cupcake.jpg2127521199_ScreenShot2022-02-06at10_46_28AM.thumb.png.645d799954105901c02599980dc70de4.png

A lot of the "trend setting" retailers are using non-binary models in their "Gender neutral" lines.  It is next to impossible to tell if the model was originally male or female.  Not my cup of tea.  As for the trousers in the top post, high fashion for the day.  I rather like the look.

Every generation has their own version of "trendy" or "high fashion."
My grand daughters pay more for ripped jeans, than they would pay for regular jeans.

Non-binary and mental illness is also trendy now.
My daughter has a friend with a daughter who thinks she is non-binary, and is suicidal as a result.

Most fashions have been ridiculous over the ages.  That's why I stick pretty much to blue jeans, boots, western style shirts, and "cowboy" hats.  Comfortable, durable, good looking, inexpensive, and suitable for almost everything except the most "high tone" events....which I avoid like I avoid hard work anymore.

I found some grey Wranglers "slacks" that worked just fine for my grandson's graduation and my son's wedding. Aside from the wedding party I was for the most part way over dressed.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Most fashions have been ridiculous over the ages.  That's why I stick pretty much to blue jeans, boots, western style shirts, and "cowboy" hats.  Comfortable, durable, good looking, inexpensive, and suitable for almost everything except the most "high tone" events....which I avoid like I avoid hard work anymore.

I found some grey Wranglers "slacks" that worked just fine for my grandson's graduation and my son's wedding. Aside from the wedding party I was for the most part way over dressed.

A lot of truth here.  I’m still working as an engineer and workwear has become “Nice” Blue Jeans, a button down shirt or polo, and work boots unless you are going to be in a Public Meeting. Then it’s Chinos and dress shoes with the aforementioned shirt. Part comes from the PPE needed when out on the job sites.

Dress up?  I was married in my Cowboy Action Banquet outfit and still drag it out for formal events. 

one of my Summer outfits. Leslie Hunting Tartan Kilt with matching Hose Flashes, Jefferson Boots, Officer’s blouse and Waistcoat.  It would have been better if I hadn’t forgotten my gun leather at home. :rolleyes:

3B879220-5773-4F76-B003-59EA78288D6F.jpeg

Archived