SASS Wire Forum

Not interchangeable

Lawdog Dago Dom

5 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Dom…please tell me it wasn’t YOU that did this…

Not me. Saw it on another website. One of those “what were you thinking “ pictures.

1 minute ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Not me. Saw it on another website. One of those “what were you thinking “ pictures.

Good…I thought you had more sense than that….but I have been fooled before 

I don't see a problem. It was put on the muzzle and it broke. Isn't that what a muzzle brake was supposed to do??? It's like a fuse and is a one-time device, right?

Looks like someone was suffering from the DUMBASS!!!

Maybe it was an experiment trying to swage a 9mm to 5.56mm???????? 

All these posts seem to be under the impression that this was intentional.

I believe that he had two uppers, and he had a flash suppressor for each one, and he just accidentally put the 223 suppressor on the 9mm barrel.

I have an officer's model 1911, and some full size 1911s. I once put the officer's magazine in the full size gun. The well was tight enough that it stayed up there, but it wouldn't feed. Oops. I have now painted the word SHORT on my one officer's magazine, to make sure I don't accidentally put it in a full size gun again.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has taken the ammunition for the wrong gun to the range, because you have single actions in both 44 and 45.

Accidents do happen.

11 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Just math - .223 device used for .356. what could possibly go wrong?

Well, using your measurements and my calculation,  I'd say about 0.133 of lead could go wrong.

8 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

So recognizing sarcasm isn't your strong suit?:rolleyes:

Correct you are; mathematics is my strong suit. ;)

9 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Maybe it was an experiment trying to swage a 9mm to 5.56mm???????? 

Yeah. Needed a bit more lube.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I believe that he had two uppers, and he had a flash suppressor for each one, and he just accidentally put the 223 suppressor on the 9mm barrel.

I second this.  That's why you work on only one caliber at a time and triple check diameter.

Interchangeability is one of the reasons I won't have 300 BO ammo in my possession.  I've seen what a 300 BO round will do in a 5.56 barrel

When the 9mm AR's were first built, they used 1/2"x36tpi, instead of the 5.56mm standard 1/2"x28tpi, or 5/8"x24tpi for .30 cal and up, just so that would not happen.

Most manufacturers followed that up until 5-6 years ago when some started using 1/2"x28tpi on all barrels.

Archived