SASS Wire Forum

Laser Dry Fire training

Bart Slade

Anyone in here have much experience using laser/infrared training dry fire training tools at home?

I picked up a couple of items recently, and had one anticipated issue plus one unanticipated issue

The anticipated issue was that the laser cartridges don't work ideally in my 1851 R/M conversion Colts; when the hammer comes down it rests on the cartridge button - meaning the laser stays on until the hammer is pulled back.

The unanticipated problem is that if you draw the laser across a target, it reads as a hit (or multiple hits).    Which negates most of the training options on the laser target I have (such as time to double-tap, or number of shots in X seconds).  But more concerning, it also means that it's hard to tell if I hit or if I swept the target after missing (because I'm typically missing pretty close).

Upside is the cartridges work great in my '66 Winchester, since the firing pin retracts after firing the target likes the pings.   And instead of levering, I can just cock the rifle and fire again.

Anyway, seems like a decent way to create a home practice routine if I can get past the "it wasn't made for single action revolvers" part.

Try setting your pistol targets farther apart?

2 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Try setting your pistol targets farther apart?

I only currently have one target, which is about a 3"x4" square read area.     Which works out pretty good for the rifle (firing from down the hall, so about 15-20 feet.

The issue is that I've got a little natural shake, o with the pistols (which, once fired, the laser is always on).   So if I have a near miss, the shake will drag the laser across the screen and indicate a hit.     

So I suppose what I really need (but haven't found) is .38 special cartridges that will just "blip" even though the button is constantly held down.   Or else .45 colt laser cartridges (don't appear to be popular enough that anyone makes them), which would work properly in my 1858 NMA cartridge conversions (which have a spring retracting firing pin).

I am not aware of anyone making a round with a "shut off" in it. Rats...

While there are a number of "laser dry fire " systems available the one that is by far the best is from MANTIS. They even have barrel adapters for revolvers, old style rifles etc.  The series 10 is amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Jack, do you use the BR4 rail adapters on your pistols?  I looked into Mantis but their email support person wasn't too sure how to setup single action revolvers.

The Mantis X uses the movement of the firearm before, during, and after the trigger squeeze.  It is one of the best devices out there to improve trigger control, hold, and follow-through. 

I use the barrel adapter with my Vaqueros.  

It is not a laser training device. 

The Laserlyte Universal laser trainer goes into the end of the revolver barrel.  It should work the way the OP wants.  Drop  the hammer and you get a brief laser dot.  

A SureStrike laser cartridge with a 38 or 45 adapter will work in the rifle.  You grind a spot on the rim of the adapter so that the cartridge is not extracted when you lever the rifle. 

7 minutes ago, Wicker Nash said:

A SureStrike laser cartridge with a 38 or 45 adapter will work in the rifle.  You grind a spot on the rim of the adapter so that the cartridge is not extracted when you lever the rifle. 

Thanks for that, it's a good idea.   I've been just cocking my repeater rather than levering it, but obviously it's a different movement to be practicing.   Got some grinding to do tonight!

I see these promoted on the innerweb all the time. When I ask about training the shooter to reacquire the target after recoil I either get crickets or thats not important.

Pointing a laser at a target and pulling the trigger without recoil is just learning to aim.

2 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I see these promoted on the innerweb all the time. When I ask about training the shooter to reacquire the target after recoil I either get crickets or thats not important.

Pointing a laser at a target and pulling the trigger without recoil is just learning to aim.

I agree with this, it's essentially dry fire practice with a little feedback.  And of course the nature of a laser is that it's "point of impact" is not going to be where a bullet from a cartridge would be.    This doesn't replace live fire, it just complements it.   Like many, I can't afford to fire off 100+ rounds a day, but I do dry fire a couple of hundred times a day.   Trigger discipline and point of aim are what I focus on.

Although the laser has almost as much recoil as some of the shooters I've seen!

Archived