SASS Wire Forum

Never thought I would be posting one of these

Awakened Wednesday unable to breathe.  My wife got me in the car and at my MD’s direction drove to a hospital (affiliated with his) about an hour away.  Struggling to breathe all the way.  After four hours of tests they advised that I had pneumonia and blood clots in both lungs.  Been in since.  Four belly shots a day to break up the clots; IVs to knock down the pneumonia.  Coughing my head off.

My only serious fear in life is to die gasping for air; just had a preview; no thank you.

LL

I’ve had two episodes of anaphylaxis! One a reaction to medication and the other from undetermined cause. In both cases, my airway became restricted, once to the point of me panicking!

Not the way I aim to go!!

Get better!  QUICKLY!!

I will guarantee you folks, Old age is a proper bitch!

21 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Awakened Wednesday unable to breathe.  My wife got me in the car and at my MD’s direction drove to a hospital (affiliated with his) about an hour away.  Struggling to breathe all the way.  After four hours of tests they advised that I had pneumonia and blood clots in both lungs.  Been in since.  Four belly shots a day to break up the clots; IVs to knock down the pneumonia.  Coughing my head off.

My only serious fear in life is to die gasping for air; just had a preview; no thank you.

LL

That just scares the hell out of me.   Five and a half years ago I lost my wife to double pneumonia.  They didn't figure out what it was until it had gone septic.

I'm praying for you my friend.  Fight it.  Fight it HARD.

Blood clots are scary. Been there. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

After your recovery you can expect to be on anticoagulants.  My doctor, bless her sincerely, is old school and put me on warfarin (Coumadin) 7 years ago after my bout with a pulmonary embolism.  Fewer side affects than some of newer (and heavily TV advertised) anticoagulants and it’s easily reversible with a vitamin K shot if I needed it.  I decided I would adjust my daily dose (1 or 2 pills daily) to accommodate my lifestyle, rather than changing diet and lifestyle to a particular dosage.  So far it has worked.  I get a fingertip pricked every 4 weeks to check my prothrombin time (INR test) to make sure I am where I need to be.  Dosage has remained unchanged for years.  PM me if I can help with questions.  Good luck.

Good luck!  Been there, done that.  Have had several blood clots over the years.  After the last one(s) about 15 years ago my doctor said the next one would kill me.  Been on Coumadin/Wafferin every since.  PITA going in for the monthly INR test but no problems since then.

Got a pneumonia shot last year for the first time. Just in case. 
Get well soon!

Get well soon and take care. Make sure to follow up as it can turn bad in a hurry. Make sure you have somebody watching after you.

My last girlfriend died from pneumonia while I was working out of town (March 2021). I had seen her the weekend before she died and she had not been feeling well for a couple weeks but told me she was feeling better although she had a bad sounding cough. I talked to her during the week and on Saturday evening I talked to her for only a couple minutes as she stated she was tired and wanted to go back to sleep. I was unable to get her to answer her phone after that and had the police check on her Monday Morning and they found her dead in her bed.( she lived alone). I feel that if she had not been alone, it could have been prevented. 

Note: not trying to steal his post, just don't need anybody else dying around here. Maddog

Consider yourself lucky. Pulmonary embolism (PE) can be deadly. I was working ER at Fort Bragg when a patient came in short of breath. I got his history (long flight on a plane and never got out of his seat), and I suspected PE. I called ultrasound to get ready for a patient, two medics came to push the bed over, when his eyes fluttered and he fell over dead. The crash team was right there, but nothing could be done.

You may be at risk of another deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism, so it's important to continue treatment, such as remaining on blood thinners, and being monitored by your doctor as they see best.

It sounds like you are getting the proper care, so do what they tell you... no chest thumping. We want you around here so we can abuse you some more.

Had multiple blood clots in both lungs twice. You are in my prayers!

I pray you get well soon. I had a bout with bronchitis combined with pneumonia a few years ago. Definitely scared the hell out of me. Coughed so hard I would pass out, numerous times. 

I am glad you got help. 

Prayers heading south from this side of the Medicine Line Loophole.

You get better.

Archived