SASS Wire Forum

Grandpa duty

Col Del Rio

Being a Grandpa has its responsibilities and rewards.

I taught me 22MO Grandson those 3 words every young man should know:

"I'm Your Huckleberry."

I'm so proud of him. 

That’s great, @Col Del Rio:D

When my grandson was 2 I taught him to grasp two chicken legs, one in each hand and bang his fists up and down on the table and grunt like a caveman. 

My daughter was not amused. 

I was so proud the day she called me and told me that he did it in a restaurant full of people. :D

I also taught him “red means stop, green means go, yellow means go faster.”

He told my daughter she is “doing it wrong” one day when she was taking him somewhere. She asked what he meant and he said “Pappy said yellow means ‘go faster!” 
Again, for some reason she was not amused. :rolleyes:

Otto Communista strikes again 

Grandparents should give their grandchildren Red Bull and chocolate 30 minutes before the parents arrive to pick up the kid(s).

Uncles and great uncles have fun, too.

Taught both nieces to bang the table top and say, "Service!  Service!  Service" (Which came out as "Yah-Yah!" said with a grin) when placed in their high chairs.  :lol:

My eldest niece did it at Red Lobster once when she was about a year old.  The prissy little waiter thought she was so cute- until we explained that she expected to be fed now when placed in a high chair and his pretensions were holding up progress.  That was a bad thing, since she was only going to get louder and more emphatic in her demands.

When they were old enough to use them, I added forks and spoons in their little fists.:rolleyes:

I've got my youngest niece's son (he's 3) doing it, too.:ph34r:

We won't mention the incidents with my eldest niece, me and Grandpa, her kindergarten and the tales of the Easter Turtle and Lee Roy the Bare-Butt Reindeer.:rolleyes:

I have it all wrong I guess... I taught my 18 month old Grandson that NO means NO...

Now I was the first to introduce him to the joy of ice cream and Black berries...

And one of the very first words my other Grandson spoke that was clearly understandable was PAPA ! , that would be me ....

He also likes ice cream , Blackberries...

Jabez Cowboy 

I had all my grandkids believing that when I was going to primary school in the Caribbean I had to slog through snow, going uphill, both ways, wearing flip flops.  This went on until they each reached about 10.  They still smile when they remember.  I also convinced my youngest boy that the "king of Germany" awarded me a medal (The Blue Max) for shooting down Snoopy after he shot down the Red Baron.  I taught them all kinds of cuss words in Spanish (and they still use them).............my daughter is not amused.  

The old saying about that if I had known grandkids would be so much fun I would have had them before I had kids is soooo true!

My youngest granddaughter just got her drivers license .  Her parents are going nuts because grandpa told her her first car should be a BMW!

I taught my grandsons that when they see a green light/flag, to say green, green, green, go, go, go.  Their mother does not find it amusing.  I have learned two things about grandchildren.  You look forward to them coming to visit and you look forward to them going home.

My ex daughter-in-law accuses my youngest grandson of being just like me!!

Shickles me titless!!

Grandads are there to teach the grandkids about the mischief they haven’t thought of!!

10 hours ago, Chantry said:

Grandparents should give their grandchildren Red Bull and chocolate 30 minutes before the parents arrive to pick up the kid(s).

I said I was going to let them skip their naps and give them Mountain Dew before sending them home.  Payback time for all the times my children tried to give me gray head.  

Evidently they took me serious.  G-kids live three states away from us.

Taught my Granddaughter to wink at about 3. Working on Grandson now. He can't quite get it. He holds an eyelid shut with his finger. Grandaughter, Kylie, who is 6, says she's ready to go shooting with me in 2 years. Love my Grands. We keep them 5 days a week.

Grands are great! Wife and I keep my daughters 3 boys 5 days. A 3 year old, 2 year old and a newborn. Keeps us exhausted and on our toes, LOL.

I can ask him who are you Issac? He will then tell me "Partner in crime". LOL

My oldest turned 21 last fall.  He’s self sufficient and becoming a responsible adult, but he’s still up for some fun at any moment. He lives close by.

The younger grandson just turned 14. He’s too smart for his own good!  Hatfield, (his dad, my son) says he’s deadly with a rifle and a monster on many video games. He stays with us every other weekend and we enable his talents.  I haven’t been able to go with him to the range lately because of my foot problems, but I had Widder slick up a Henry .22 for him and I have a Mossberg 715 that he shoots a lot.  He’s tried my AK47, but he’s another year or so from being comfortable with it. 

Gonna’ hook him up with a ‘97 this spring and he has a pair of Model P Jr.s in .38 when he decides he wants to try handguns.

We relish our time with him and his big brother!

I love every minute of the time I get to spend with my grands.  Unfortunately, that doesn't come often, as they live 2600 miles away.  You don't drive there for Sunday dinner.  Oldest is 19 this month.  Youngest is now 9.  

lemons grands.PNG

I've got 4 grandsons, 3 of them are old enough to take shooting at the gun club.  We do that every chance we can.

Here is my oldest grandson Logan making shotgun shells when he was 6, this was in 2014.

Yeah buddy grandsons. 6 total for me my son has my oldest 3 10, 5, and 4 years old. My youngest daughter has the 3 youngest. My daughter lives on my place about 2 tenths mile away so get to see the youngest more than the 3 oldest.

Did let my oldest grandson shoot my 1858 Remington with conversion cylinder and know he is asking about when I am going to my next shoot. So hopefully I will be able to get him involved in CAS.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:02 PM, Matthew Duncan said:

I said I was going to let them skip their naps and give them Mountain Dew before sending them home.  Payback time for all the times my children tried to give me gray head.  

Evidently they took me serious.  G-kids live three states away from us.

I dropped my youngest niece off with an open Pixie Stix in each hand and a face covered in chocolate once.

She stopped in front of my sister and said, "Hello, Mommy!" before continuing into the house in her sugar rush induced madness.

While my sister was still in shock, I casually backed down the driveway like nothing was wrong.

On 2/4/2022 at 7:29 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Shickles me titless!!

No kidding.  Every mother has a curse: I hope you have three just like you!

Waited 7 years for grandson #1.  Told BabyGirl "He's gonna get everything you pitched a fit for in the grocery store."  He didn't.  Not really.

Their time shooting with us was relatively short but treasured.  G#1 was impressive (to me).  From the first, without drama or coaching, he walked to the line & shot the stage.  Never blazing fast, but no misses, no Ps.  Shoot both the eyes out of the buffalo.  Just walk to the line, and shoot the stage.

G#2 was a little different.  He never needed coaching, either, but he was merely ok with the rifle & never really liked his shotgun.  He was, however, AWESOME with pistols from the age of 7.  Before he started shooting, he'd go with us & pick brass & set targets on the promise he could shoot pistols after the match.  Down in SC, I remember Petey asking him what targets he wanted to shoot.  He pointed out a plate rack with little bitty chickens, & a pard who was listening laughed.  Ping, ping, ping, ping, ping.  The pard quit laughing.

10 hours ago, MizPete said:

No kidding.  Every mother has a curse: I hope you have three just like you!

Waited 7 years for grandson #1.  Told BabyGirl "He's gonna get everything you pitched a fit for in the grocery store."  He didn't.  Not really.

Their time shooting with us was relatively short but treasured.  G#1 was impressive (to me).  From the first, without drama or coaching, he walked to the line & shot the stage.  Never blazing fast, but no misses, no Ps.  Shoot both the eyes out of the buffalo.  Just walk to the line, and shoot the stage.

G#2 was a little different.  He never needed coaching, either, but he was merely ok with the rifle & never really liked his shotgun.  He was, however, AWESOME with pistols from the age of 7.  Before he started shooting, he'd go with us & pick brass & set targets on the promise he could shoot pistols after the match.  Down in SC, I remember Petey asking him what targets he wanted to shoot.  He pointed out a plate rack with little bitty chickens, & a pard who was listening laughed.  Ping, ping, ping, ping, ping.  The pard quit laughing.

Little ones are like that because they've never been told that they shouldn't be able to do it. 

I taught a young lady to shoot while we were in college and had her plinking at the 100 yard targets with a Colt New Frontier. .22 to get her to focus on the sights rather than anticipating the recoil (nothing screams, "You flinched!" quite like hitting the ground at 80 yards when you're aiming at something at 100).  A buddy of mine showed up and was amazed at what she was doing (the pistol was zeroed at 25 yards, so she had to use some Kentucky windage th hit) because she was getting 3 or 4 out of every 5 on the 10 inch plate.  The thing is, I just showed her what to do, explained why it was I was having her do it and let her loose.  She didn't know how hard it was supposedto be, so she didn't freeze up or overthink it.

Every Grandpa should buy both of these for their grand-sons and grand-daughters.

The Dangerous Book for Boys

The Double Dangerous Book for Boys

You Grand-daughters should also get these books to go with the two above.

The Daring Book for Girls

The Double-Daring Book for Girls

You can also find them in paperback.

Archived