SASS Wire Forum

Once again I win jeopardy

Utah Bob #35998

Final Jeopardy question

He was buried I’m 1969 in one of the World War II uniform jackets named for him.

one contestant  said Lindbergh, the other two said Flak.

:rolleyes:

Those answers were pretty sorry!!

I won too!  Schoolmarm was amazed!!

It’s a good looking jacket for a uniform!!

33 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Who was three incorrect contestants?

I don’t know their names. Never pay attention to them. The guy said Lindbergh. The two women said Flak.

I'm glad I waited 'til after the show to open this thread.  When I saw the bonus question I of course knew the answer, and immediately guessed what Bob's subject was.  :rolleyes:

But I was danged disappointed in the three "contestants!"  :(

For many years I've given each of our new Eagle Scouts an Eisenhower ("Ike") dollar with the eagle on the reverse.  I'm plumb tickled to say I  have given away a BUNCH of 'em. ^_^ 

1 minute ago, watab kid said:

we have sadly neglected teaching history long enough to have a majority of the population more worried about some made up offensive thing about it 

That's offensive. Get woke!

Gen. Stephen Townsend wearing a prototype of the new Ike jacket.

DC589882-6A3A-4E2C-9511-761C84B5A599.jpeg

8 hours ago, watab kid said:

we have sadly neglected teaching history long enough to have a majority of the population more worried about some made up offensive thing about it 

In my estimation people are mostly concerned with being entertained and self gratified materialistically, usually followed closely by if not totally intertwined with being offended at not being able to achieve the first two items which then spills over into everything else (wokeness) that has become the social mess we are currently enjoying.  And yes, history for a lot of people, perhaps the majority of people, seemingly ceases to matter. 

I pray for our future.

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

For many years I've given each of our new Eagle Scouts an Eisenhower ("Ike") dollar with the eagle on the reverse.  I'm plumb tickled to say I  have given away a BUNCH of 'em. ^_^ 

Most excellent. :D

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Gen. Stephen Townsend wearing a prototype of the new Ike jacket.

DC589882-6A3A-4E2C-9511-761C84B5A599.jpeg

Let me guess. The Black gentleman and the woman are pointing out ways that it is too gender or race specific.... and needs to be altered. ;)

I can almost forgive someone not knowing that the jacket was named for a specific individual. Wartime fashion and the knowledge or lack of knowledge of it is forgivable.  It could have been named after McArthur or some other military man of the period!

But “flak”??  That’s just plain stupid!!

4 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I can almost forgive someone not knowing that the jacket was named for a specific individual. Wartime fashion and the knowledge or lack of knowledge of it is forgivable.  It could have been named after McArthur or some other military man of the period!

But “flak”??  That’s just plain stupid!!

Well after all "flak" does sound like "Ike" :lol:

11 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

I hate to say this, but I did not know the answer. In 1969, I was 7 years old and I was never in the military.

I was 1. Kinda enjoy history though.

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

In my estimation people are mostly concerned with being entertained and self gratified materialistically, usually followed closely by if not totally intertwined with being offended at not being able to achieve the first two items which then spills over into everything else (wokeness) that has become the social mess we are currently enjoying.  And yes, history for a lot of people, perhaps the majority of people, seemingly ceases to matter. 

I pray for our future.

ill join you in that prayer 

13 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

That's offensive. Get woke!

these days i strive to offend someone every day - seems i accomplished my goal for today , im an equal opportunity offender , i suspect ike would have offended you as well , 

In their defense I doubt many people in 1998, 80 years after WW1, knew what the Lafayette Escadrille was or the puttees were the leg wraps worn by soldiers in the trenches.

I went to public school and college, 1955 to 1975. Attended many history classes. And no where did any of them mention the name of Ike's jacket. Why would they? The class focused on WW2 and Ike's role as Supreme Allied Commander. I learned of his jacket name by reading on my own.

A lot of people know "flak jackets", few beyond the boomer generation would know and Ike jacket.

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

these days i strive to offend someone every day - seems i accomplished my goal for today , im an equal opportunity offender , i suspect ike would have offended you as well , 

Ike was a patriot, as am I. You haven't offended me, just didn't recognize good natured teasing. Bazinga!

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

A lot of people know "flak jackets", few beyond the boomer generation would know and Ike jacket.

They may knowthe words “flak jacket” but it’s readily apparent that they don’t know what a flak jacket is or what it was meant for.

Many of them don’t know what flak actually is!

I know what a flak jacket is and what it’s used for. Had to look up the origin of the name. 
could have easily been named after a person instead of a anti aircraft gun. 

Protective vests called flak jackets were first used in World War II; the word “flak” comes from the abbreviated form of the German word Flugabwehrkanone, a type of antiaircraft gun.

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Well after all "flak" does sound like "Ike" :lol:

Well, you never know, they may have known a general named Flak. :lol:

7 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

Ike was a patriot, as am I. You haven't offended me, just didn't recognize good natured teasing. Bazinga!

i wasnt the only one , but then even if i was i would strive to protect your right to be offended by me 

17 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Well there was a Major Flagg. :rolleyes:

And Fannie Flagg!

Archived