SASS Wire Forum

Gun Cart Question

Buckshot Bear

G'day pards,

Quick gun cart question how are you attaching the felt ( or what are you using if not felt) to where your barrels rest?

If wood glue, how are you using it so it doesn't seep through the felt and cause hard patches? 

14 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

G'day pards,

Quick gun cart question how are you attaching the felt ( or what are you using if not felt) to where your barrels rest?

If wood glue, how are you using it so it doesn't seep through the felt and cause hard patches? 

For the notches where barrells rest, use self sticky mole skin.

Cheap, good and easily replaceable.

You can use foam/rubber door sealing strips to with sticky attached, Bunnings got em.

18 hours ago, ZigMar said:

Contact cement.  Just don't go nuts with it.

Dupont 77 spray contact adhesive.  Go easy with it and follow directions.  Available at most hardware stores.  Cleans up with Acetone or Laquer Thinner.  Afixes the felt PERMANENTLY.  Work carefully and watch out for overspray. 

23 hours ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

The felt product I got at Home Depot was self adhesive, but the other ideas are great. I have the spray adhesive too.

Horace

How well did the self adhesive work? This sounds like the best option if it is durable.

Hogleg

2 minutes ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

How well did the self adhesive work? This sounds like the best option if it is durable.

Hogleg

Get the more expensive felt with the self adhesive, the cheap stuff is just that.

58 minutes ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

Hogleg

It is still on there after 20 +/_ years.

The "kinky hair" half of sticky-back Velcro.

Not the cocklebur half!

Can't quite remember what glue brand was, but a silver/gray bottle of wood glue to stick leather strips inside the barrel rests. I used 2" thick foam and cut it so it fit tight inside the cutouts. Spread the glue, put my leather pieces in, then put the foam in to hold in place until dry.

if i were building a gun cart today i would use the blind staple and maybe some contact cement if needed , im using the modern holders with rubber fingers but my guncart is a converted three gun cart so i dont have a lot to add ....i do enjoy hearing how all of you solve all the problems , always thought to build a cowboy cart but never got to it and im getting too old to take the time , my wife has a list that will outlive me at this point , 

Something I noticed over time (ten years or more) is that the self-adhesive felt pads (readily available in hardware stores or on-line) polished the bluing off the barrels of both rifles and shotguns.

Can only conjecture that the felt was absorbing some dust/grit/abrasives.

Easily fixed by cold blue every so often, but I looked for a replacement option.

Last few years I've been using the thick (4-5 mm) black neoprene sheets, with self adhesive backing, from Amazon.

Easily cut and formed to the slots in the gun racks, and also makes for a good base for the long gun butts.

So far, no visible wear on the blued gun barrels.

Had wool on sheepskin as padding on my last guncart and plan to use the same with the new one I'm starting to build.  Mine are relatively small and simple based on a golf bag cart. The long guns I still have are unmarked, and I don't recall bluing wear on the two I let go. I used pieces cut from an industrial fatigue mat under the gun butts.

Archived