SASS Wire Forum

Remington #10 caps

Hogleg Hunter

Long ago Mako did an excellent writeup on percussion caps. With the exception of CCI #10s If your nipples are set up for Remington #10 they should work just fine with most other caps.

Below is a copy of Mako's excellent white paper on percussion caps.

Percussion-Caps-and-Nipples2.pdf

32 minutes ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

I just emailed Remington to ask if there are any plans to resume production of these caps. It would be nice to know before I modify the nipples on my guns to accept another brand cap. 

Hogleg

Provided you have specialty nipples, such as Slix or Treso's I wouldn't modify them. If they don't work for the cap you are currently using, pull them and label them for another day when Remington #10's are available.

The above chart provided by SD is helpful, but in my experience each brand of caps likes a specific nipple, despite the measurements provided. 

Uberti nipples seem to work well with both Remington 10's and CCI 11's. Track of the Wolf nipples work well in my Pietta's with CCI 11's, but in my experience they need to be chamfered at the top edge to allow the cap to seat to it's maximum depth so the cap goes off with the first hammer strike. With my Pietta's I needed more hammer spring as well with the CCI's,

I've bought some RWS 1075 plus, but I haven't tried them out yet other than to feel how they fit on the Track of the Wolf nipples, they do not easily seat all the way down.

I've also had luck with turning the nipple diameter down on Pietta nipples for CCI 10's.

Currently the RWS 1075 seem to be the cap that can be found. 

Over the last few weeks I've been experimenting with nipple and cap combo's in order to be prepared for the 2022 Western Frontiersman Territorial in June and be able to provide assistance to registered shooters who might need direction as to what supplies are out there and what I've found to work.

Tully

When my stash of #10's is gone I'm stuck with RWS 1075+ caps. They don't fit on any nipples that I have. They won't seat far enough. I've got Slixshot nipples on all my guns. I've also tried the factory nipples and some from Butler Creek. My plan was to turn down the factory nipples to see if I can make them work.

I also have a couple of tins of CCI's that I haven't tried yet but I'm not holding out much hope for these.

I've also read Mako's article several times over the last year. What he said should work doesn't for me.

Hogleg

42 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

Provided you have specialty nipples, such as Slix or Treso's I wouldn't modify them. If they don't work for the cap you are currently using, pull them and label them for another day when Remington #10's are available.

The above chart provided by SD is helpful, but in my experience each brand of caps likes a specific nipple, despite the measurements provided. 

Uberti nipples seem to work well with both Remington 10's and CCI 11's. Track of the Wolf nipples work well in my Pietta's with CCI 11's, but in my experience they need to be chamfered at the top edge to allow the cap to seat to it's maximum depth so the cap goes off with the first hammer strike. With my Pietta's I needed more hammer spring as well with the CCI's,

I've bought some RWS 1075 plus, but I haven't tried them out yet other than to feel how they fit on the Track of the Wolf nipples, they do not easily seat all the way down.

I've also had luck with turning the nipple diameter down on Pietta nipples for CCI 10's.

Currently the RWS 1075 seem to be the cap that can be found. 

Over the last few weeks I've been experimenting with nipple and cap combo's in order to be prepared for the 2022 Western Frontiersman Territorial in June and be able to provide assistance to registered shooters who might need direction as to what supplies are out there and what I've found to work.

Tully

I have Track's nipples on my Pietta 1860's and am using Rem. 11's with no issue or modification. Track said they were designed for as you said CCI 11's, but the Rems. work great for me. I do have cap rakes installed which may make a difference. Before the rakes, I kept getting caps in the hammer channel.

My Slix Nips seem to work ok with Rem 10, CCI 11, or RWS 1075 (not plus). I had several 1075+ caps fail to set off the first time, and they would often jam up the cylinder. That is with factory 23lb springs in my ROAs. The RWS 1075 caps do require a bit of convincing to fully seat, but they work fine. Rem 10s have always worked the best, though.

With 19lb springs, even Rem 10s would occasionally fail to fire on first hit if I didn't keep everything extra clean between stages. I couldn't abide the lack of reliability, so I ran with 23lb springs for a while. I just installed a 21lb set because I'm a gamer, but I've yet to test them. I figure right before EoT is the perfect time to make a major change.

3 hours ago, C.N. Double said:

My Slix Nips seem to work ok with Rem 10, CCI 11, or RWS 1075 (not plus). I had several 1075+ caps fail to set off the first time, and they would often jam up the cylinder. That is with factory 23lb springs in my ROAs. The RWS 1075 caps do require a bit of convincing to fully seat, but they work fine. Rem 10s have always worked the best, though.

With 19lb springs, even Rem 10s would occasionally fail to fire on first hit if I didn't keep everything extra clean between stages. I couldn't abide the lack of reliability, so I ran with 23lb springs for a while. I just installed a 21lb set because I'm a gamer, but I've yet to test them. I figure right before EoT is the perfect time to make a major change.

Remington 10s and 11s have the same ID.  The difference is the skirt length.  10s have a longer skirt so they fit "tighter" on the nipples because they are tapered.  What I have done is to shoot the first 3 or 4 stages with 10s and then switch to 11s.  At that point the 11s fit just fine on the dirty nipples.  I always carry two cappers.  One filled with each size.

I have had good luck using  Remington 10 & 11 and CCI .

On My Slix Shot Cones .

Rooster

4 hours ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

2 business days and no answer. I guess I now know how important black powder shooters are to Remington.

Hogleg

There actually is no "Remington".  There is Vista Outdoor.  On the "Remington" website they are showing #11s as being in stock.

https://www.remington.com/muzzleloading/29-22619.html

On 2/3/2022 at 9:01 AM, Hogleg Hunter said:

When my stash of #10's is gone I'm stuck with RWS 1075+ caps. They don't fit on any nipples that I have. They won't seat far enough. I've got Slixshot nipples on all my guns.

I just tried RWS 1075 plus on my 51's with Slix nipples, they worked great with a heavier hammer spring then needed for Rem 10's. It did take more force to seat them fully, but all went off on the first hammer strike. Less force was needed to seat them on the Track of the Wolf nipples. It's interesting that several folks posting here have different experiences with cap and nipple combos. 

Archived