SASS Wire Forum

Tarnished Factory Ammo

John Ruth

Don't know if this needs to be in a different forum as the ammo is not SASS, but I have several hundred rounds of 40 S&W factory ammo that has some tarnish on the brass. This is older ammo that was stored in a humid garage in Florida and came into my possession after my grandfather passed away. 

The tarnish isn't terrible to the point where I feel it's unsafe, but then again, what would be considered unsafe amounts of tarnish on brass? 

I don't have a 40 anymore so I would have liked to sell it, but don't know that it's such a good idea, liability and all. What's the consensus from anyone else that's ran into this?

20220203_093630.jpg

20220203_093641.jpg

Edit: you can't really see in the first pic, but the second pic is much closer to how it looks, especially when looking at the head stamps. Tarnish is very dark and isn't shown well in the first pic. 

7 minutes ago, John Ruth said:

Don't know if this needs to be in a different forum as the ammo is not SASS, but I have several hundred rounds of 40 S&W factory ammo that has some tarnish on the brass. This is older ammo that was stored in a humid garage in Florida and came into my possession after my grandfather passed away. 

The tarnish isn't terrible to the point where I feel it's unsafe, but then again, what would be considered unsafe amounts of tarnish on brass? 

I don't have a 40 anymore so I would have liked to sell it, but don't know that it's such a good idea, liability and all. What's the consensus from anyone else that's ran into this?

20220203_093630.jpg

20220203_093641.jpg

Don't know about just where you are, but there are some areas with severe ammo  shortages and 40 is popular.  I am certain you can sell it at the going rate even with a tarnish disclaimer.  That amount of tarnish wouldn't bother me, and if it did, there's always Brasso and elbow grease.  Others may have a different view, but I would not tumble them!

22 minutes ago, John Ruth said:

... came into my possession after my grandfather passed away. ..The tarnish isn't terrible to the point where I feel it's unsafe, but then again, ...

I understand your post as you were given the ammunition for free.  If my understanding is correct then do you need to make a profit on the ammunition?  If no then why don't you give it away to someone that needs it?

47 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I understand your post as you were given the ammunition for free.  If my understanding is correct then do you need to make a profit on the ammunition?  If no then why don't you give it away to someone that needs it?

If it were say 50 or so rounds, yeah I would for sure. However, I'm not keen on giving away 700+ rounds of ammo, whether it cost me anything or not. 

8 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Seems like an excellent excuse to go buy a new .40.  (Glass half full -- you know)

Haha, if this were in a caliber that I liked and used, absolutely! Not a fan of the 40's snappy recoil though. 

That ammo will shoot just fine.  Just find a buyer who does not "freak out" at a little surface tarnish.  Give them a 50% discount of MSRP and I'll bet it won't bother most folks.

If I had that, I'd probably dump those loaded rounds in my vibratory cleaner bowl, add standard walnut media and polish the tarnish.  In half an hour, it will look like new.  Yes, I vibrate loaded centerfire handgun ammo, just like most factories do, to remove loading lube and any tarnish.  I've never had a problem in 50 years of doing that.

good luck, GJ

40 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

That ammo will shoot just fine.  Just find a buyer who does not "freak out" at a little surface tarnish.  Give them a 50% discount of MSRP and I'll bet it won't bother most folks.

That's pretty much how I'd see it too. Good pics showing the tarnish and put it up at 25% off market price. It'll go quick being discounted even with the blems

51 minutes ago, John Ruth said:

If it were say 50 or so rounds, yeah I would for sure. However, I'm not keen on giving away 700+ rounds of ammo, whether it cost me anything or not. 

Haha, if this were in a caliber that I liked and used, absolutely! Not a fan of the 40's snappy recoil though. 

.40 does have a bite to it.  If you watch people shooting it a the public range, almost all of them (comp shooters excluded) have a built in anticipatory flinch.  

Snappish recoil on a 40 S&W? Funny, because it was developed as a less recoiling round compared to the 10mm. You guys been shooting Cowboy guns too long. :)

On 2/3/2022 at 8:40 AM, John Ruth said:

20220203_093630.jpg

20220203_093641.jpg

Edit: you can't really see in the first pic, but the second pic is much closer to how it looks, especially when looking at the head stamps. Tarnish is very dark and isn't shown well in the first pic. 

I wouldn’t sell it as loaded ammo, I’d just sell the components that just happen to  be in a convenient to carry form.:D

Randy

Archived