SASS Wire Forum

Modern technology

Tex Jones, SASS 2263

Ours were left in the little wooden box on the front porch. That was also where we kept a spare house key (in case we forgot ours) and where packages that wouldn't fit in the mail slot were left.

Nobody would dream of messing with your stuff in that box.

Miss those days. :(

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

37 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Ours were left in the little wooden box on the front porch. That was also where we kept a spare house key (in case we forgot ours) and where packages that wouldn't fit in the mail slot were left.

Nobody would dream of messing with your stuff in that box.

Miss those days. :(

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Me too!!!

Heck...we never locked the back door!!!

There was the milk man who also delivered eggs butter and cheese, the bread man, the bakery truck every other week with pies and desserts, and another guy that came every three months that sharpened knives, saws and axes.  In the summer, there was a fruit and vegetable seller.

At my grandparents’ place in New Jersey, they also had a mobile meat market truck.

Don’t forget the Good Humor man with all kinds of frozen stuff like Popsicles and ice cream goodies!!

We still had milk delivery here as recently as a decade ago!!

9 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I miss the glass milk bottles that we found 'magicly' by the front door on Wed' and Fri's!!!

me too , from the local dairy and relatively fresh 

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

me too , from the local dairy and relatively fresh 

Dad used to stop at a home on the Navajo Reservation, on his wsy home from Arizona Public Service plant, and get a gallon pickle jar of fesh unprocessed milk...

Waxpaper and foil held on by a rubberband, lidded gold!!!

I'm old enough to remember the horse-drawn wagons, delivering milk and bread.

The horse knew the route as well as the driver and would stop at each customer's home.

Then, for gardeners, there was the added advantage of what the horse left on the street.

Archived