SASS Wire Forum

Bisley Grips

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I few years ago, I had a chance to handle, but not fire, a real Colt Bisley.   I thought it felt odd in my hand and that I'd not do well with it.   As such, I figured I'd never own one.  Then, late last year, I found one with a 4-3/4" barrel in .32-20 for a great price.

I bought it.  

When I tried it at a match, I found it to be a very easy gun to use, and I didn't really pay attention to how it "felt."  It just worked.

What have other people's experiences been with actually shooting a Bisley at a match?   I have heard it said here that the Colt and Ruger Bisley grips are very different.   Anyone have one of each to compare?

And for reference...

1092984014_BisleyRight.jpg.948272c901adb3b4926f1ec5d8279ff1.jpg

I have a pair of Ruger Bisley grip NV in 357 and I like them better then the Uberti Gunfighters gun I had.

I had a Uberti Colt replica Bisley for NCOWS, since the Ruger Bisley isn't allowed. It worked well. I have since sold it to fund other projects. I also have a genuine 1902 Colt Bisley that I sent to Alan Harton to have the hammer rebuilt. It should be heading home soon.

Here is a link to an article of mine. About halfway down the page compares the Bisley grips.

https://gunsmagazine.com/guns/handguns/the-bisley-revolver/

Howdy HK

I have two Colt Bisley model revolvers.

Both are chambered for 38-40.

This one left the factory in 1909. As you can see, almost none of the original finish is left on it,

pnqXSFGEj

This one left the factory in 1907. It still has a fair amount of the original finish on it.

powK8pO4j

Here is a composite photo illustrating the differences between a standard Colt Single Action Army and a Bisley model. In addition to the different grip shape, note the different trigger guard, trigger, and hammer shapes. The frame of a Bisley Colt is slightly deeper than a standard SAA frame, and the different grip shapes do not match up well if one tries to swap grips.

potoIBKzj

Now for comparison, this is the Ruger version of the Bisley grip. Very different. The Ruger version of the Bisley grip is wider, does not sweep forward like the original, and is more straight up and down than Colt Bisely.

pnxV3KJNj

I have always felt that the Ruger version of the Bisley grip shared some features of Elmer Kieth's famous No. 5 revolver. Particularly the shape of the front of the grip. This is not Elmer's actual revolver, it is a modern made replica, but it is very faithful to the original.

po7vxIh0j

As far as shooting a Colt Bisley, in my hand it tends to point slightly down at the ground. Ever so slightly, not straight ahead like a SAA does. The Bisley model was introduced at the Bisley target range near London, England in 1894. It was intended to be a target revolver, to compete with the other target revolvers of the day, most likely the Smith and Wesson New Model #3.

Here is a S&W NM#3 Target Model that I foolishly passed up buying a few years ago. (yes, HK, I know you know what a NM#3 looks like, this photo is for everybody else)

poDjwAjgj

Anyway, I have no evidence to support this, but I have always assumed the odd grip shape of the Bisely model, and the fact that, at least in my hands, it tends to point slightly down at the ground, is because late 19th Century target shooters did not hold their revolvers the same way we do today. I have seen photos of old time target pistoleers and many of them kept their elbows slightly bent when firing a revolver, as opposed to the way most of us lock our elbows straight today. I have tried this, and when I bend my elbow slightly, my Bisley Colts point straight ahead, rather than slightly down at the ground.

Although the Bisley Colt was designed as a target revolver, relatively few of them were made that way. The target version had a flat top frame with a drift adjustable, dovetailed rear sight and a front sight with an insert that could be adjusted for elevation. There were only a total of 976 Flat Top Target Model Bisleys made, as opposed to 44,350 with fixed sights like yours and mine. Obviously, the Target Models command a much higher price than the standard model with fixed sights. The most common chambering for the fixed sight model was 32-20, with 13,291 chambered that way, followed by 38-40, with 12,163 made, 45 Colt-8,005, 44-40-6,803, and 41 Colt- 3,159. A smattering of other cartridges were also chambered in the Bisley model. The production years for the Bisely model were relatively short, it was only produced from 1894 until 1915.

I shoot Ruger New Vaquero Bisleys as my main match revolvers. I have one pair of plow handle NMVs. I think the Bisleys fit my hands better. I know a number of others that also shoot Bisleys.  

Archived