SASS Wire Forum

Wanted: B.A.M. die set -- 8x60R Kropatschek

I know this is a long shot (pun intended), but here goes . . . I am looking for a reloading die set for my Portuguese M1886 Kropatschek bolt-action military rifle.  The rifle is in very good condition, and as with all of my rifles, I want to be able to shoot it.  Factory ammo hasn't been made in close to 100 years.  These dies were once made by RCBS, but are currently out of production.  If anyone out there has a set of these dies they are willing to part with, please let me know.

* For those that are curious, the Kropatschek rifle was made by Steyr and is virtually identical to the Mauser Model 1871/84.  Featuring a tubular magazine under the barrel, it was the world's first small caliber, bolt-action repeater.

If you can't find a used set, you could try CH Tool & Die in OH.  They make a bunch of loading dies and can custom manufacture almost any size.  740-397-7214  Hope this helps.:D 

I did try CH4D in Ohio.  He stated he wouldn't be making any in that caliber until October 2023.  Yes, October 2023.  If I purchase correctly made brass, I should be able to reload by neck-sizing only with an 8mm Lebel die.  I really don't want to do this -- I would much rather have the correct dies. 

I'm really hoping someone here has a die set they will part with.

35 minutes ago, Caladisi kid said:

If only Bob Haley was still around........  :(

I'm not sure who that is (was).

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

I called Huntington's and they said these dies are discontinued -- no longer available.

Bob Haley was the Guru of obscure cartridges and reloading who resided in Texas. He could make brass and had many dies made to his specs to make a lot of the obsolete and obscure firearms get working again.  :)

Some possible leads:

Grafs used to sell brass .

www.oldammo.com for obscure cartridges.

RCBS may have a forming die that started with Win. 348 brass.

There was a thread on this subject at www.milsurps.com

6 hours ago, Caladisi kid said:

Some possible leads:

Grafs used to sell brass .

www.oldammo.com for obscure cartridges.

RCBS may have a forming die that started with Win. 348 brass.

There was a thread on this subject at www.milsurps.com

Thanks for your efforts.  I have a source for brass.  I don't want to use original ammo -- I need to roll my own.  I have seen the thread on Milsurps.com;  very informative.  Just need a set of dies and I should be good to go.  I'll use 8mm Lebel dies to size the necks and seat the bullets if I have no other choice.  Would like to full-length size the cases, but since the cartridges will only be used in one gun, it isn't necessary.

Archived