SASS Wire Forum

Taking RV shoots. Tech questions

Mustang Gregg

YEE HAW!

We finally got a motorhome (E450) for going on SASS shooting vacations.

Our next order of business is setting up the Ford Ranger for flat towing behind it the RV.

Normally for my agriculturaI applications, I build my own tow bars/attachments.  But since this is going down the highway at speed, I better pay more attention to liability.

What's your recommended base plate and tow bar setup?  And brake systems too.

I've been looking online at the Blue Ox gear so far.

Do you have to use the same manufacturer on components or is this stuff interchangeable?

Pards, I appreciate all the helpful recommendations.

Mustang Gregg

Download a Towing Guide such as this one.  First thing to determine is if your Ranger is towable.  The guide has all kinds of gear listed.

https://webcontent.goodsam.com/trailerlife.com/digital_editions/TrailerLifeTowGuide2019.pdf

What year and type? I had an E450 that got 9mpg.

Things like tow skirts to keep from bead blasting your windshield. Breakaway brakes and such led me to the tow dolly.

You can get a tow dolly relatively cheap to buy and if its a once in a while trip you can rent. It's one more piece of equipment to store but easy

There were some Ford Rangers that weren't supposed to be towed. Something with the manual transmission not oiling a couple bearings when being towed that got lubed when driven

I had a friend that flat towed a drag car, in the 1960s.. He made a plate to bolt the back end of the driveshaft to and had no issues with the transmission needing oil, or leaking out the rear seal in the absence of a front yoke. The car sat up fairly high so access was not a problem.  my$.02

Imis

11 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

What year and type? I had an E450 that got 9mpg.

Things like tow skirts to keep from bead blasting your windshield. Breakaway brakes and such led me to the tow dolly.

You can get a tow dolly relatively cheap to buy and if its a once in a while trip you can rent. It's one more piece of equipment to store but easy

Thanks I already have a tow dolly.

I've used it pulling around a 2002 Windstar that I've used as a chase vehicle.  

But I'm trying to get done with having to deal with the loose tow dolly at the campsites, strapping it down, etc.

Mite want to put some kind of Camera on the back.

A TruckStop not too far from me. There was a Motor Home there, that was pulling a Jeep.

One of the tires went flat. Driver didn't notice. The other one went flat, he kept driving.

Pulled in for fuel, both front tires were almost down to spindles.

You would of thought he could tell something was wrong.

Just was spotter for friend to fill his RV up at Costco  we did stay under $500 '

the pain is they only let you put $125 on  debit card each time 

still cheaper than nice motel 

Archived