SASS Wire Forum

So what about clothes?

Rip Snorter

Most days, if I put on spurs, changed and added guns, I could probably shoot in one class or another.  I live in the West. Just how rigid are things - do I need to cut the tags off my Wranglers?  I have everything from Hollywood style stuff to actual homespun antique pattern shirts.  What is the line of least resistance? Is there a best easiest class for dress to try?  I won't be going to any big matches, and am much more interested in having a good time than I am in winning anything.  The last time I was shooting SASS many years ago,  one club where I shot  did have some "Clothing Nags" not a fun thing!

Hi Rip,

If you're shooting at local matches; work clothes are fine.  Jeans, boots, a long sleeved shirt, and a cowboy hat.

Read the Shooter's Handbook on this website for more details.  Jump in pronto and have fun and learn as you go.

Mo

13 minutes ago, Slow Mo Dern said:

Hi Rip,

If you're shooting at local matches; work clothes are fine.  Jeans, boots, a long sleeved shirt, and a cowboy hat.

Read the Shooter's Handbook on this website for more details.  Jump in pronto and have fun and learn as you go.

Mo

Thank you.  

8 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Nope.

Most of what you described is good to go in any of the age based categories.

Thanks very much - had read the rulebook (then and now) the video was helpful.  As to age, nearly as old as dirt! ;-)

Just sign up for your age category and have fun. I've been shooting age (49r and now Senior) for about 5 years and still don't have everything needed to qualify for Classic Cowboy, even though that is my goal.

14 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

Just sign up for your age category and have fun. I've been shooting age (49r and now Senior) for about 5 years and still don't have everything needed to qualify for Classic Cowboy, even though that is my goal.

Thanks!  Cattle Baron! Talk about all hat and no cattle!  I'm just short the rifle for Classic Cowboy, and when the fund permits will be looking for a decent '73 repro..

You might find a pair of suspenders like these useful with your Wanglers:

image.png.1fbed5ff63cc447041983afce34af83f.png

Club attendance is down locally.  We try to retain new shooters and not drive them off by hassling them about costumes.  BTW, take an RO class when you start shooting.  Rules have changed (mostly for the better).

1 minute ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Club attendance is down locally.  We try to retain new shooters and not drive them off by hassling them about costumes.  BTW, take an RO class when you start shooting.  Rules have changed (mostly for the better).

16 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Come on back and bring what you have , I bet locals will help you be fully outfitted to shoot.

Imis

Thanks!  Have both RO 1 & 2 Longhorns on my badge.  Re read the books, but will likely have to take the classes again if I get very active. 

10 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Probably makes sense,  but "galluses" are on my "Never list" along with white (or any) sneakers and 3/4 length cargo shorts! 

Howdy Rip'

I have shot for many years at a number of clubs and have never seen anyone chided or maligned for their outfits. That said, I shoot Classic Cowboy or duelist and am a bug about the clothing and accessories. I even had an unofficial store selling shirts, neckware and other items to unsuspecting cowboys for a while. I like all the cowboys to look good and am happy to answer questions about clothing, accessories, etc. - when asked.

When asked I begin by saying "no ball caps, sneakers or short sleeved shirts. hats and cowboy boot are not required. Other than that have fun.

Rev. Chase

1 hour ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy Rip'

I have shot for many years at a number of clubs and have never seen anyone chided or maligned for their outfits. That said, I shoot Classic Cowboy or duelist and am a bug about the clothing and accessories. I even had an unofficial store selling shirts, neckware and other items to unsuspecting cowboys for a while. I like all the cowboys to look good and am happy to answer questions about clothing, accessories, etc. - when asked.

When asked I begin by saying "no ball caps, sneakers or short sleeved shirts. hats and cowboy boot are not required. Other than that have fun.

Rev. Chase

Thanks for your reply.  Well, it was a good while ago, and in a much less congenial state than the one I live in now.  I also have a more varied and extensive wardrobe of antique style and modern Cowboy duds.  I'll be all right and shoot whatever class they propose.  Just trying to get a head start.  Still hard winter here for a couple of months.

I really enjoy putting together my outfits, but I learned a couple things:

1)  This isn't about historical accuracy.  I started with a pair of historically-accurate holster designs, and found out they were crap for fast shooting.  Get stuff that looks appropriate but most importantly comfortable.

2) It gets HOT and HUMID in Tennessee summers.  Get a cool straw style hat (or even just a bandana) and thin unbleached muslin shirts.  Be aware though that in Classic Cowboy you need to wear a non-straw hat.

3) For days I want to wear jeans, I got a pair of tan and a pair of black.  They are just as comfortable and inexpensive as blue denim but look a bit better IMO.

4 hours ago, Slow Mo Dern said:

This is actually good for any match you go to, local or the world championships. Except you don't have to wear a cowboy hat if you don't want to.

If/when you get into Classic Cowboy or B Western, the fun with costuming really just gets funner. Until then, just enjoy learning and shooting with boots, jeans, a long sleeve shirt and a cowboy hat (if you choose... not required in age categories).

There is a LOT of potential in this game for total enjoyment.

4 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

I really enjoy putting together my outfits, but I learned a couple things:

1)  This isn't about historical accuracy.  I started with a pair of historically-accurate holster designs, and found out they were crap for fast shooting.  Get stuff that looks appropriate but most importantly comfortable.

2) It gets HOT and HUMID in Tennessee summers.  Get a cool straw style hat (or even just a bandana) and thin unbleached muslin shirts.  Be aware though that in Classic Cowboy you need to wear a non-straw hat.

3) For days I want to wear jeans, I got a pair of tan and a pair of black.  They are just as comfortable and inexpensive as blue denim but look a bit better IMO.

Many thanks for your suggestions, greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

This is actually good for any match you go to, local or the world championships. Except you don't have to wear a cowboy hat if you don't want to.

Thank you.  Well accustomed to Western Boots - I actually don't own any shoes. As to fur felt hats, nearly daily wear.  I might go to a straw if temps are closing on triple digits. 

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

If/when you get into Classic Cowboy or B Western, the fun with costuming really just gets funner. Until then, just enjoy learning and shooting with boots, jeans, a long sleeve shirt and a cowboy hat (if you choose... not required in age categories).

There is a LOT of potential in this game for total enjoyment.

Thanks very much.  Don't need practice shooting with  boots on, have worn them most of my life.  The spurs are another story, though I am smart enough not to squat with them on.  The fun is the thing.

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

"BOOTS" nor "cowboy" hats are required. Especially so called pointed toes cowboy boots1

Not required, but for me, necessary and appreciated every day, though I'm not really into pointed toes.

I've been doing this for 25 years and now I'm into comfort cowboy! Jeans (no Levi's) cowboy shirt, sometimes a vest, cowboy boots usually but sometimes work boots depending on how my feet feel and always.... always a good hat!!!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've been doing this for 25 years and now I'm into comfort cowboy! Jeans (no Levi's) cowboy shirt, sometimes a vest, cowboy boots usually but sometimes work boots depending on how my feet feel and always.... always a good hat!!!

Haven't worn Levis in a Hound's Age, since the first time they came out against the 2nd Amendment- that must be more than 30 years ago.  Have worn Wrangler happily ever since.  A shame they have moved a lot their production out of the U.S. Will have to look for some made here just because.  As to the rest, I'm fortunate, just about every day wear.

1300250357_Smilingafteragoodround.thumb.jpg.05c483f724632de85e658cbfac1e4e3e.jpg

Yes, a Patagonia shirt, it was too hot for my heavy shirt. and I found a cooler hat for the next match.

At our local meets, not an issue. Just get out to the meets and shoot. Supporting  the local clubs is more important than what you wear. That being said, this year is my years to buy some more cowboy appropriate attire. 

BB

6 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

1300250357_Smilingafteragoodround.thumb.jpg.05c483f724632de85e658cbfac1e4e3e.jpg

Yes, a Patagonia shirt, it was too hot for my heavy shirt. and I found a cooler hat for the next match.

At our local meets, not an issue. Just get out to the meets and shoot. Supporting  the local clubs is more important than what you wear. That being said, this year is my years to buy some more cowboy appropriate attire. 

BB

Used to have some Patagonia stuff, good for hot weather, never wore it for SASS.  Seems like they have discontinued my favorites for regular wear.

8 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Haven't worn Levis in a Hound's Age, since the first time they came out against the 2nd Amendment- that must be more than 30 years ago.  Have worn Wrangler happily ever since.  A shame they have moved a lot their production out of the U.S. Will have to look for some made here just because.  As to the rest, I'm fortunate, just about every day wear.

Lee jeans are made here I think!:unsure:

19 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Lee jeans are made here I think!:unsure:

Thanks - some reason all those years ago they didn't fit me well, will need to give them a try.  Still 33/32 or there about, less muscle tho.  I tend to "ride for the brand" when i find something I like.

Archived