SASS Wire Forum

Quarrantine: Remember when?

Trailrider #896

Regardless of your (or my) point of view on whether gub'mint has the right to order vaccines or masks or not (SCOTUS says NO!) do you remember when, if you had measles or chicken pox or some other sickness, the "health department" came to your house and tacked a sign on the door that said nobody was supposed to go in or out of the house until you were all better? And we didn't have shots for any of those "childhood" diseases.  (A pay phone used a nickel, too.)  :ph34r:

Gateway...You're about 15 to 18 years too young, Pard! In 1947, when I was five, I came down with a case of scarlet fever.  I don't remember if they put the sign on our apartment door, but I do remember the military hadn't released penicillin to the general public yet, so they gave me liquid sulfa, which made me sick to my stomach, but cured the disease!  Summers were considered "the polio season".  My Mom wouldn't let me go near the beaches.  Instead, she enrolled me for swimming lessons...at the local public pool!  Nobody knew the virus was waterborne!  Fortunately, I didn't come down with it! A lot of other did! :(  

My mom was an RN working as a Surgical Intensive Care Nurse throughout my childhood. Also big on what is now called herd immunity. Back then we just called it get it, get over it, get on with life.

We had a neighbor who was like the mom in Kindergarten Cop who used balms, salves, rubs, supplements you name it on her kids (both were my friends) and they were always sick with something.

Personally never got really sick with anything although I had most of the childhood diseases at one time or another. If you were sick you got to stay home from school for a few days (still had to do homework :() then back to routine.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Nope, never saw it happen. We weren’t pussys back then.

I saw quarantine notices on homes in southern Colorado in the late 1940s - early 1950s, my early grade school years.  I don’t recall any legal action or punishment associated with ignoring the notice,  it was more like a road sign warning about potholes ahead;  proceed with caution, don’t you know.

2 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Gateway...You're about 15 to 18 years too young, Pard! In 1947, when I was five, I came down with a case of scarlet fever.  I don't remember if they put the sign on our apartment door, but I do remember the military hadn't released penicillin to the general public yet, so they gave me liquid sulfa, which made me sick to my stomach, but cured the disease!  Summers were considered "the polio season".  My Mom wouldn't let me go near the beaches.  Instead, she enrolled me for swimming lessons...at the local public pool!  Nobody knew the virus was waterborne!  Fortunately, I didn't come down with it! A lot of other did! :(  

My Pa had polio as a youth. My grandma went to Mary Freebed hospital every day to take his leg braces off and give him physical therapy. 

2 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I'l be 80 in eleven days and I never saw signs like that either.

I'm 79-1/2 (Big 80 coming this summer!).  Grew up in Chicago, so it must have been under Mayor Kelly, followed by Richard J. Daly.  Corrupt as hell, but when it snowed, the main streets got cleared in 24 hours (if you parked your car on a main drag, it got towed!!!).  Only major crimes were gang-related....the mob's gangs. They didn't bother the honest folks much, although the guy who lived across the alley from us on the South Side got blown off his front porch one evening.  Got crosswise with Big Al, I guess.  Mob hit for sure.

3 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Nope, never saw it happen. We weren’t pussys back then.

You are darn right, we were tough back then, Yul.  I was 12 years old when I died, but, my mother wouldn't hear of it, and she made me walk it off and, here I am today. 

However... the laws are still written today, that ONLY the county health officer has the authority to quarantine, then only the sick ones.
Not the Guv, not the Little Rodent from CDC... just the county health officer.
He does not have the authority to lock down businesses, either.

9 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Regardless of your (or my) point of view on whether gub'mint has the right to order vaccines or masks or not (SCOTUS says NO!) do you remember when, if you had measles or chicken pox or some other sickness, the "health department" came to your house and tacked a sign on the door that said nobody was supposed to go in or out of the house until you were all better? And we didn't have shots for any of those "childhood" diseases.  (A pay phone used a nickel, too.)  :ph34r:

For clarity, I think the recent SCOTUS holding was more about requiring masks and vaccines of non-infected persons.  I believe that all of the quarantine laws still apply to persons who are known to be infectious.  

Archived