SASS Wire Forum

New Charles Daly 512 with issues

Fill Yer Hand

I bought a new Charles Daly 512 and received it today, the action job is good. The problem I have is instead of receiving the coach gun model I received the sporting model that was cut to 20”. The cut was not straight and the edges quite sharp. The void between the barrels was not filled, just open to be filled with who knows what. It does not look very good. The gun came with chokes in both the coach and sporting configurations but with the barrel cut like it was the chokes are useless. Am I crazy for wanting to return it and get my money back?

8AF7B62C-7AC6-43EA-9EBC-D15956913AD1.jpeg

961FD0A9-9F2B-4E53-9261-6D8CC1FC4033.jpeg

One and only time I have cut my own SG barrels (stoger uplander 26 to 21) I did a much better job than that. While you don’t need choke’s in this game if you were supposed to have them where are they?

That gun would be on it’s way back just based on the marginal cut job no matter how good an action job had been done. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

12 hours ago, Fill Yer Hand said:

I bought a new Charles Daly 512 and received it today, the action job is good. The problem I have is instead of receiving the coach gun model I received the sporting model that was cut to 20”. The cut was not straight and the edges quite sharp. The void between the barrels was not filled, just open to be filled with who knows what. It does not look very good. The gun came with chokes in both the coach and sporting configurations but with the barrel cut like it was the chokes are useless. Am I crazy for wanting to return it and get my money back?

8AF7B62C-7AC6-43EA-9EBC-D15956913AD1.jpeg

961FD0A9-9F2B-4E53-9261-6D8CC1FC4033.jpeg 

If whoever worked on that is reputable they will or should take it back, need to realize THEIR mistake and make it right. Otherwise you might want to let the wire know who this was so they can avoid a problem like this. Hoping for the best.

I appreciate you not 'nameing names' at this point.

But, of course you should return it...and give the seller the opportunity to correct the mistake.

I assume you bought this from a 'vendor'...as a package? In that case a full refund is in order.

If you bought the CD seperate and sent off for the work, you will be hard pressed to recoup your CD purchase.

Hope the vendor will own their mistake.

For the lack of 2 minutes of file work and  25 cents worth of JB.  A customer is lost.  It's a shame everything seems to be heading that way.   Good luck with what ever you decide,     GW

I am of two minds (actually more) on this, yes this is subpar workmanship, on the other hand it is fairly easily fixable. A good second cut file and a stone could straighten out the cut. The lack of chokes will have no effect on our game, but you paid for them. As has been said, a little JB weld will fill the void between the bores. It will also bind the barrels together better than they are now. I would be concerned with the barrels and ramp being seemingly out of square. They could conceivably come apart. Your dealer/distributor may balk at replacement because they have been cut.  My $.02

Imis

Issue has been resolved. Thank for everyone’s input. I am newer to these firearms and was wondering if what I was seeing would be a concern to others more knowledgeable and experienced. Have a great evening!

1 hour ago, Fill Yer Hand said:

Issue has been resolved. Thank for everyone’s input. I am newer to these firearms and was wondering if what I was seeing would be a concern to others more knowledgeable and experienced. Have a great evening!

Might we inquire as to what the resolution was? Of course, at your leisure and without naming names. I'm just curious.

Archived