SASS Wire Forum

Ides of March - The 2022 S.A.S.S. Florida State Championship Information

The Outlaw Travis James

Welp, hitting the road in the morning.

I expect we'll be at the range no later than 2:00.

So many hugs, so many friendly faces!

Can't wait to see everyone! 

It's been a long 2 years.

Waimea

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well,  It's semi-official, barring any last minute complications, I'm Coming!  Lil is doing amazingly well and, although she still has a long way to go on her recovery, she has decided that in an effort to preserve Marital Harmony, I'm being thrown out of the house for 4 days.  (At least that's what she said, I guess I will know for sure if I show up back home on Sunday and she changed the locks! :o:lol:) She did add a task to my ToDo list that will add about 5 hours to my trip, but what Dogmeat Journey doesn't include a whirlwind, 1,000 mile, single day drive!  It's not just an adventure, it's a lifestyle! :rolleyes:

( I knew I should have changed my alias to Long-Haul! :P )

So, Thursday at 0'Dark Hundred (Likely 5:00am), I will hit the road for Dunedin, FL where I will unload a Power Lift Chair that was supposed to be brought down when we thought Lil was going to be able to do her PT in Florida.  When that plan fell through we were stuck with it in our living room and it is just plain in the way.  Our next opportunity to haul it down won't likely be until January of 2023, so it needs to go away now.  Dang thing won't fit in the in the Prius, even without the cowboy gear, so I will have to take the truck.  Much better ride, but about half the MPG of the Prius.

Considering the price of gas, it would probably be cheaper to burn the dang thing in the driveway and buy a new one, but that's not happening either.  So after I hit Dunedin and drag the chair into the Condo, I will then jump back in the truck and head north to Tavares and check into the hotel.  With just a little bit of luck I will be there right about midnight, plenty of time for a nights sleep, especially since I am (hopefully) on the PM-Friday/AM-Saturday flight.  I may be a little bleary eyed that first day, but there is always COFFEE and the smoke should hide any foolishness from the casual observers!  :lol:

Anyway, I really look forward to seeing everyone at the Match.  Just sorry I can't convince Lil to come down and hang out with folks, but she said she is more comfortable hanging out at home while she recovers.  I have confirmed that she has rides to everywhere she needs/wants to go during my absence, and we restocked the fridge today, so that's all good.  I will be heading back home immediately after the Shoot-Off on Sunday and should arrive home just about midnight.

Hmmmmm, maybe Midnight Rider.....(Probably already taken ;)

Since gas is over $4/gal I cannot longer have disparaging words about a cowboy in a Prius.

Looking forward to seeing you.

I'll see if I have a lock pick set around here. I keep a couple handy.:lol:

Drive safe.

Well, I made it.  Left at 4:30am arrived at the hotel at 12:30am the next day.  Almost 1,100 miles in 20 hours with a little bit of physical labor stuffed in the middle.  What's not to love! :lol:

See you all tomorrow, or maybe it's today....:rolleyes:

Well, Day 1 is in the books.  I shot stages 1-5 today, the Shady Bays, which is a good thing 'cause it was a might toasty!  My internal system is still running on Anti-Freeze and what it needed was Anti-Melt!  Coolers full of iced water bottles supplied by the club kept everyone hydrated so it was all good.

Stages were fun and fast, at least fast for me, and overall I did pretty well considering what it took to get here.  I had one pistol get away from me when I let my left eye try to help, and lost one rifle round in the smoke, but my raw times were amazing (at least for me). Do they do the Double Dang-Nabit thing here? :rolleyes:

Tomorrow is my early day so I hope to coffee is strong, I think I'm going to need it.  Probably should read the stages tonight before, but that would almost be like Practice :o.   Seems a little late in my SASS career to be starting that. :lol:

Seems strange to be sitting here in the hotel room relaxing.  Feels like I should jump in the truck and drive around for a couple of hours before bed.  This relaxing is just weird!  :P

Archived