SASS Wire Forum

Ides of March - The 2022 S.A.S.S. Florida State Championship Information

The Outlaw Travis James

4 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Absolutely, it's undoubtedly one of those Run For You Life moments! :o

SimpleCooperativeIslandwhistler-small.gi

As long as she is doing well, without any complications, and doesn't need to be pumped full of pain meds to get through the day, I will in all likelihood be heading south for the match.  She would be mad at me if I didn't go.  If, however, things are not going well I will not hesitate to cancel the trip.  The only problem is that I won't know before the 15th so I need to be 100% ready to go, but prepared to cancel at a moments notice.

Well, hope to see you in a month.

That means Lil is doing good.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/18/2022 at 6:07 PM, Tequila Shooter said:

@The Outlaw Travis James you’ve got skills, great video…..except where’s all the smoke and fire?:ph34r:  Don’t worry, if you didn’t get enough in January I’ll bring more at IOM this year. :D

No smoke, I only torture myself that way once a year.  hahaha Ides is coming up soon.  Going to be fun.  

Only three weeks until the Shooting Starts, for Side Match Day that is.  Main Match is only 22 Days Away!

Guns are cleaned, oiled, and ready.  Ammo is counted and ready.  Clothes are packed and ready.  Just need to load the truck and hit the road....oh, and get Lil safely through her surgery, that's the big one.

Looks like the predictions of the Maryland BlueCrab are holding true.  We have winter precipitation moving in one again this evening and over night.  Might be snow, might be sleet, might be freezing rain, might be a combination of all of the above, or possibly just nothing.  Our weather is about as dependable as our legislature, you can always count on it to mess things up!

Never fear, I have been keeping my shoveling skills honed to perfection...

snow-day-shoveling-snow.gif

53 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L thinking of you with all your shoveling skills

image.gif.2c25ca9630dbcc502272134e8784c724.gif

We actually got lucky with the last one and only got about maybe 1/16" of ice.  Streets were warm enough that we it all melted, but the car, trees, plants, etc had a decent layer.  I will call that a win!

The next 10 days look pretty good, weather wise, with sunny skies and only a couple of evenings popping below freezing.  Next week looks rainy, but I will take that.  Beyond that, it's anybody's guess, but March and even the first week of April have surprised us with big snowstorms in the past.  As they say around here, Winter ain't over 'til Summer!

Is there a current shooters list anywhere?

If Bo Dacious is coming I like to prepare for the butt whooping I'm about to endure.

Although he does occasionally take pity on me and throw a gun on the ground.:lol:

23 minutes ago, Waimea said:

If Bo Dacious is coming I like to prepare for the butt whooping I'm about to endure.

Although he does occasionally take pity on me and throw a gun on the ground.:lol:

Me thinks there’s gunna be a battle of the outlaws comin’

For $5.00 I can trip him up :rolleyes:

I heard they were having trouble with the software, but emails are starting to flow from Smart*.  I figure they will get one posted sometime soon.  I think they are near 200 shooters, if not a little above that.  No doubt, it will be a good shoot!

5 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Me thinks there’s gunna be a battle of the outlaws comin’

For $5.00 I can trip him up :rolleyes:

I think you are underestimating the job, he's big!

You might need to bring in some special equipment.

:lol:

9 hours ago, Waimea said:

I think you are underestimating the job, he's big!

You might need to bring in some special equipment.

:lol:

He is big, but Awe likes me so for one of my “posse prizes” I think she’d help. :ph34r:

21 hours ago, Waimea said:

This match doesn't release a who's coming list.  It creates too much extra work for the admins when people start to request category changes so they can choose their category wisely to game a buckle.  

On 3/1/2022 at 10:35 AM, The Outlaw Travis James said:

This match doesn't release a who's coming list.  It creates too much extra work for the admins when people start to request category changes so they can choose their category wisely to game a buckle.  

I  know that all too well.  We started releasing a shooter list with their state only.  Let's folks know if someone they want to see (or avoid being seen by :o) is coming.  It can still be a royal P.I.T.A., but it's fun to see who's coming.  I know I've been to matches, especially where there were two flights, and never knew someone I hadn't seen in years was there.  Since neither one of us typically is on the Awards Platform, it's easy to miss folks.

Either way, I am 100% sure it will be a great match. 

The Main Match is just 10 17 Days Away!   If you haven't done it, Send In That Application Now!

18 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

He is big, but Awe likes me so for one of my “posse prizes” I think she’d help. :ph34r:

Well anyhow it will be good to see old friends.

I heard through the grapevine that there is still room but spots are filling up.

Be great to have 300 shooters.

11 hours ago, Waimea said:

Well anyhow it will be good to see old friends.

I heard through the grapevine that there is still room but spots are filling up.

Be great to have 300 shooters.

Plenty of room.  Keep those apps coming in.  

We are coming down to the wire.  Main Match starts in just two weeks.  Get your apps in ASAP.

1 hour ago, High Noon Henry said:

Is a flea market area planned?   I hope to thin the herd some.   3 shotguns are loaded in the RV.  B)

HNH

I hope so.

I think that's usually on Thursday, Side match day.

13 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Anyone know if Smart* got all the volunteers he needed for side match day?

Even if he did, let him know if you are willing/able to help.  They always need relief folks to give other a break.

Other than Berm Marshaling (back when that was a thing) it was one of my favorite things to do.  Gave me a chance to see everyone at the match as they came through the stage I was on.  Second favorite was RO's a side match for basically the same reason, just that not everyone shot on side-match day.  Only thing I didn't was TO'ing guys like Santa Fe River Stan on the rifle bay.  :o   I Can't Even Think That Fast! :P

11 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Even if he did, let him know if you are willing/able to help.  They always need relief folks to give other a break.

Other than Berm Marshaling (back when that was a thing) it was one of my favorite things to do.  Gave me a chance to see everyone at the match as they came through the stage I was on.  Second favorite was RO's a side match for basically the same reason, just that not everyone shot on side-match day.  Only thing I didn't was TO'ing guys like Santa Fe River Stan on the rifle bay.  :o   I Can't Even Think That Fast! :P

I sent him an email when he put out the request, but never heard back so I wasn’t sure.  I TO’ed side matches last year and was an assistant PM with Bo Dacious and I had a lot of fun. 

16 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I sent him an email when he put out the request, but never heard back so I wasn’t sure.  I TO’ed side matches last year and was an assistant PM with Bo Dacious and I had a lot of fun. 

I got an email about volunteering for side matches this morning.

Maybe you did too.

3 hours ago, Waimea said:

I got an email about volunteering for side matches this morning.

Maybe you did too.

I did, I’ll be on the speed rifle stage, should be fun!

Lake County Pistoleros - IDES of March
SASS - FLORIDA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP - MARCH 17-20, 2022

SETUP INFORMATION

• Monday, March 14 (7am-4pm) - Props/ Scenic
  • Tuesday, March 15 (7am-4pm) Targets/ Stages
  • Wednesday, March 16 (7am-4pm) Targets/ Stages

Come when you can, your help would be greatly appreciated! Contact Blazing Saddles to Volunteer CowboyGunShooter@gmail.com

Range Safety Officer/ Timer Operators needed for Side Matches on Thursday, March 17. Please Contact Smart Asterisk for Details SmartAsterisk@outlook.com | 650-776-2854

Each Stage is Dedicated to a Scene or a Character in the Movie Please Watch SILVERADO before the Match!

Schedule of Events
TUESDAY, MARCH 15

• 8:00 am – Range Setup starts – help is welcome
  • 8:30 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors may arrive and setup
  • 8:30 am - 4:00 pm – Campers may arrive and setup

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16

• 8:00 am – Range Setup continues – help is welcome
  • 8:30 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors may arrive and setup
  • 8:30 am - 4:00 pm – Campers may arrive and setup

THURSDAY, MARCH 17

• 8:00 am – Range opens
  • 8:30 am – RO 1 Class – must pre-register
  • 9:00 am - 4:00 pm - Registration – held in the main pavilion (Nowlon Hall)
  • 9:00 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors open
  • 9:30 am – Wild Bunch Side Match – must pre-register
  • 10:00 am - 3:30 pm - Speed Side Matches - Speed Rifle, Speed Pistols, Speed Shotgun (held in pocket berms)
  • 10:00 am - 3:30 pm - Long Range Rifle (held on long-range rifle range)
  • 10:00 am - 1:30 pm - Man vs. Man Shootoff Side Match (open to all) challenge any of your friends willing to a shootoff
  • 2:00 pm – Man vs. Man Side Match Elimination Tournament (open to all) Must be present at 1:45 pm to set up brackets. It will be done by drawing numbers and matching up consecutive numbers against each other, odds on the left and evens on the right.
  • 4:00pm - Posse Marshall Walk Thru (meet in Range 2)

FRIDAY, MARCH 18

• 7:00 am – Range opens
  • 7:30 am - 8:30 am – Registration – held in the main pavilion (Nowlon Hall)
  • 8:00 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors open
  • 9:00 am – AM Flight - MANDATORY shooters meeting – held outside main pavilion (Nowlon Hall)
  • 9:30 am -12:30 pm – 5 stages – AM Flight
  • 12:00 pm – PM Flight – Mandatory shooters meeting – held outside the main pavilion (Nowlon Hall)
  • 12:30 pm -3:30 pm – 5 stages – PM Flight

SATURDAY, MARCH 19

• 7:00 am – Range opens
  • 8:00 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors Open
  • 8:30 am – AM Flight – 5 stages
  • 12:00 pm – PM Flight – 5 stages
  • 5:00 pm – Elks Lodge opens for drinks
  • 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm - Costume Contest Judging - Town Lady - Town Gent – Best Dressed Couple - Cowboy (Classic) - Cowgirl (Classic) - B Western Cowboy - B Western Cowgirl – Soiled Dove – Military - Young Man - Young Lady
  • 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm - Dinner
  • 7:00 pm – Awards Ceremony – Door prize/ raffles (must be present to win)

Elks Lodge - 2540 Dora Ave - Tavares, FL 32778-4976
SUNDAY, MARCH 20

• 7:30 am – Range opens
  • 8:00 am – Cowboy Church – held outside main pavilion (Nowlon Hall)
  • 8:00 am-12:00 pm - Vendors open
  • 9:00 am – Top Gun Shootoff – ALL Juniors – Top 8 Ladies – Top 32 Overall

FOR ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Match Director - Smart Asterisk
SmartAsterisk@outlook.com | 650-776-2854

Administration - Sunshine Rose
Julia.Clapp@hotmail.com

Side Match Rules

MAN VS MAN CHALLENGE

Challenge your friends to a head-to-head shootoff.  This first one to knockdown all 25 targets wins bragging rights. Open format from 10:00 am - 1:30 pm. 

MAN vs. MAN ELIMINATION TOURNAMENT (open to all)

Must be present at 1:45 pm to set up brackets. It will be done by drawing numbers and matching up consecutive numbers against each other, odds on the left and evens on the right.  Once each elimination round is complete, the shooters who have moved on will redraw random numbers and match ups will be made as per the previous instructions until there is only one left standing.  If we have at least 4 each: juniors, ladies, or seniors; we will have separate elimination tournaments.  If not, they will be in the main tournament.

DERRINGER – POCKET PISTOL – SPEED PISTOL – SPEED RIFLE – SPEED SHOTGUN

A scenario will be posted at each stage.  The fastest time of the day will win.  Each shooter will be allowed to shoot as often as they like throughout the day.  A maximum of one run per turn will be allowed if other shooters are waiting.  Pocket Pistol and Derringer will be allowed a maximum of two runs each as loading is done at the shooting table not the loading tables.  You must hit all rounds to qualify.

Awards will be given for both Male and Female winners in each category.  We are also offering a senior category in Shotgun, Pistol and Rifle.  You will need to decide prior to shooting if you want to be a Senior (60+) or not for that category

Shotgun will be divided into three categories

1. Pump
  2. Double
  3. 87

Pistol will be divided into two categories

1. Traditional/Two Handed
  2. Duelist – One handed/ Gunfighter

LONG RANGE – 200 YARD AND 100 YARD

There will be a practice area setup; each shooter will have 5 minutes (ONLY) before the first run if it does not interfere with the timer or another shooter.  Shooting may either be off-hand, cross-sticks or an adjustable front rest (NO) rear rifle sand bag rest will be used, elbow pad will be allowed.

In the event of a tie – a shoot off will be held at 3pm Thursday

200 yard

Awards to be given

• Male and Female
    1. Single Shot Buffalo (Black Powder only)
    2. Precision Rifle
    3. Lever Action Big Bore
  • SIGHTS MUST EITHER BE OPEN IRON SIGHTS OR ORIGINAL STYLE TANG PEEP SIGHTS
  • RIFLE CALIBERS MUST BE TRADITIONAL PERIOD, ALL OTHER SASS RULES WILL APPLY

No cartridge chambered for use in any SASS approved main match revolver or rifle may be used in 200-meter-long range.

Legal cartridges

• .56-50 thus
  • .30-30 (.30wcf)
  • .38-55 Marlin & Ballard
  • .43 Spanish
  • 45.70 Government

While a .375 Winchester, 444 Marlin, .32-20 or .44-40 are not.

Any propellant powder may be used (with the exception that smokeless powder is not allowed in Buffalo single shot competition)

Bullets used in long range, precision rifles and lever action rifles must be made of pure lead or lead alloy having a plane base, gas checked or paper patch configuration will be allowed.

Single shot Buffalo rifles must be .375” bore size or larger. And have exposed hammer and NO spring-loaded ejectors except for Springfield Trapdoor rifles, (Black powder only)

Precision rifles must be single shot and may have spring loaded ejectors and automatically cock the hammer when opened.

Lever Action Long Range Rifles, must be big bore calibers and will be loaded single shot, loaded with smokeless or black powder.

Long Range – 100 yard – Pistol Caliber Lever Action Rifle

Awards to be given – Male and Female

• SIGHTS MUST EITHER BE OPEN IRON SIGHTS OR ORIGINAL STYLE TANG PEEP SIGHTS
  • RIFLE CALIBERS MUST BE TRADITIONAL PERIOD, ALL OTHER SASS RULES WILL APPLY
  • ANY CENTER FIRE CARTRIDGE APPROVED FOR A SASS MAIN MATCH (NO RIM FIRE)

Any propellant powder may be used black or smokeless powder.  Bullets used must be made of pure lead or lead alloy having a plain base (NO GAS CHECK BULLETS).  There will be a practice area setup; each shooter will have 5 minutes (ONLY) before the first run if it does not interfere with the timer or another shooter.  Shooting may either be off-hand, cross-sticks or an adjustable front rest (NO) rear rifle sand bag rest will be used, elbow pad will be allowed.

All rounds must hit the berm if they do not you will receive a warning and if not corrected, disqualification from side matches. 

ASN Event: https://actionshootingnetwork.com/event/269/the-ides-of-march-2022/
Main Match Application: https://actionshootingnetwork.com/attachment/download/?url=2021/10/d2a3a04f95203104ac4f9d027c1e74a9.pdf
Sponsor Application: https://actionshootingnetwork.com/attachment/download/?url=2021/10/6bfb97e789403f05d9c38830ace302cd.pdf
Vendor Application: https://actionshootingnetwork.com/attachment/download/?url=2021/10/cb15732e66d78e9fbec8cc185a35559d.pdf

20 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I wish the Burt Bunch could be there.  Maybe next year!

Capt.

You should bring them all !

I'm going, probably should stay in Georgia and work, but I'm registered, have the hotel, and a tank full of $4 dollar gas !!

See ya soon !

16 minutes ago, T-Square said:

Capt.

I'm going, probably should stay in Georgia and work, but I'm registered, have the hotel, and a tank full of $4 dollar gas !!

See ya soon !

Sharyn and the kids are governed by the school calendar right now.  There are only so many Fridays a year she can play hookie!

40 minutes ago, T-Square said:

Capt.

See ya soon !

You must have filled up last week.  The gas I bought yesterday was $4.31 a gallon.  Cost over $100 to fill my F-150.  The pump actually shut off at $90.00.  I had to reinsert the credit card and start over to finish filling.  Even the credit card couldn't believe it cost that much.

yes, filled up before the Government told me about the Putin Price Surge.

If they hadn't told me, I would have thought the 130 percent price change BEFORE the Ukrainian invasion was all Biden's fault.

In November, I am going to vote so many time that Stacy Abrams will look like a freaking amateur compared to me !

MAGA

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L  I saw that the NE is getting ready for another snowstorm, must be time for another FL match.  Hope Lil is doing good. 

Was think about DMD and Lil today.

Wondering how things were going there.

21 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L  I saw that the NE is getting ready for another snowstorm, must be time for another FL match.  Hope Lil is doing good. 

19 hours ago, Waimea said:

Was think about DMD and Lil today.

Wondering how things were going there.

Sorry for the delay in posting an update.  Had plans to do it yesterday, but the snow got in the way.  We were supposed to have our first match of the year at our home club in Damascus on Saturday, but I cancelled it once the storm looked eminent.  Good thing too, we would likely still have cowboys stuck down on the range.  Our range road down into the valley is gravel, about the width of 1-1/4 vehicle, and with a steep drop on one side.  Overall elevation change is something like 75' - 100' which makes for an excellent berm, but when there is ice/snow on the roadway, we close the ranges so we don't have to play Ice Road Truckers! :o

Dang weather was 65 degrees on Friday, then we got 4"-5" of sleet and snow on Saturday during the day, followed by temps plummeting to 15 degrees last night and that entombed everything that wasn't cleared off in a block of ice.  I got the driveway and the vehicles cleared off before dark and the hard freeze and it got to about 40 degrees today so the melt has begun.  Supposed to hit upper 50's on Monday and be above 60 for the rest of the week, breaking 70 on Friday so it should all be gone by the end of the week.  Dang Blue Crab! :P  I will go by Mom's house on Tuesday and clear off anything that remains on her driveway but I suspect it will be clear.

Now as to the important stuff, Lil came through the surgery extremely well and the Sawbones said it went perfectly.  Of course they ALWAYS say that, but I do believe him on this one.  She had a nerve block so she was feeling pretty good the first day or so, then as that started to wear off, we switched her to some other pain meds.  She is now off of those and taking arthritis strength Tylenol and another non-narcotic pain med and doing pretty well.  She had her first PT session on Friday and has pretty good range of motion at this point, at least within the limits of what she is allowed to do.  There are a few motions she is not allowed to do until the implants have had time to integrate fully into the bone.  Overall, she is doing very well, far better than I had anticipated at this point, and it appears that she will be far better off than she was.

As to the Ides, I am holding off making a final decision until Tuesday, and I did let Smart* know that so he could plan appropriately.  If I had to place a bet on it, I would say the odds of me going are improving everyday.  Everyone has likely heard that old saying...Absence makes the Heart grow fonder.  What no one talks about however is the logical opposite of that.  If [Absence = Fonder Heart] then that logically implies that [24/7 Togetherness = Discontent] :lol:

A long time ago, about 6 months after my Father-In-Law retired for the second time (24 years in the Navy, then 10 years in the private sector), Lil and I were at her parents house for dinner and I distinctly remember my Mother-In-Law saying..."I married you for Life, not for Lunch.  Get A Hobby!" :o:lol:  Advice I understand better and better with each passing day! ;)

This morning I overheard Lil talking to some of the ladies at Church about getting rides to and from some of the church goings on next weekend because she was planning on throwing me out.  (Edit to add:  I assume that just means for the Ides...:blink::lol:)  Guess I better do an ammo check and get the oil changed in the truck, just in case... :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers, for both Lil and me, and I hope to see you all at the Ides!

2 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers, for both Lil and me, and I hope to see you all at the Ides!

That's great news about your girl.

Pretty sure it's only temporary she wants you OUT!:lol:

I'm semi-retired for the last 5 years or so. I will remain semi until ... I can't do it no more.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Fingers still crossed.

Archived