SASS Wire Forum

Am I insane? Cowboy Shooting Purchases

Mezcal Charlie

Buying guns and collecting them is on my investment portfolio :) I have been buying guns since I was - won’t say but lot lot younger . I had all the guns before I even started CAS , did some reshuffling of my portfolio by selling some of the Bulgarian AKs and bought some different style of long guns like the Uberti Sharps :)

I have no other hobby and  I don’t waste money on sports like golf  :)

I am a proud Texan owner of , wink wink many guns and I have been shooting guns since I was 11 growing up in a family that always had guns and served in the US military.

I just love them guns :)now the cowboy guns more.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all the nickel/dime stuff that gets me - mostly because I don't shoot otherwise, so didn't have any of the reloading equipment.

So for .38sp and .45 Colt I've got die kits, hand reloading tools, scale, calipers, scoops, priming tool, depriming tool, loading trays, shot-shell loading tools, brass shot shells, shot, lead pot, bullet molds, bees-wax, tallow, shop supplies, case cleaner....I've probably spent more on that stuff than I have on the guns themselves.

Not to mention the reloading components which we all know are getting pricey.

When I started in '92, I had no suitable rifle, maybe six mismatched SASS-legal revolvers, and four shotguns - a single shot, a couple old double barrels, and a Rossi coach gun. Today... yikes... if I told you, you'd roll your eyes and walk away.

I didn't have a lot of money to spend on guns, and I heard casting your own and reloading was a way to save money...so now I have 2 Dillons, 2 progressive shotgun presses, 4 single stage presses, 3 lead furnaces and 3 sizers.  And 120 bullet moulds. And 3 gun safes. I load for myself, my wife and 2 kids, and keep waiting for the money I saved to pile up in my account, but it just hasn't happened yet. Not sure what I did wrong!

Just started only been to one match, and loved it. Got a steal on 2-45, NMV in 4 3/4" stainless, Rossi Overland hammer double and a Rossi 92 lever 45 colt. Turned around right after that and bought a 1858 Remington C&B with conversion cylinder. Now I want a second 1858. Funny thing is I can hit 4" plates at 25 yards with the 1858 but have a hit and miss on the 10" with the NMV's, LOL. 

How much I have into it just after 1 match and 2 months? The above cost me a Glock21, Glock 17, and ATI 1911 plus $1745 cash. Now I just need that 2nd 1858, couple open tops with conversions, 1897 pumpand a 73 or 66 lever gun.

Yeah I think I am insane.

Captain Bill Burt is exactly right.  Getting the wife into the sport has eliminated any resistance about acquiring new cowboy stuff.

I take the Fifth on cowboy guns.  Apparently, cowboy guns in gun safes reproduce like feral cats. Who knew? 

Another "investment" I hadn't thought about, until I sat with another cowboy shooter the other day in my shop, was how much I had in reloading components.  He started calculating what I had sitting on the shelves in primers and powder (not even counting brass, lead, shot, and wads).  I acquired most of my supply during the time of $35 a brick primers.  I was shocked when he gave me his estimate of the current value of my supplies. 

Okay, I had to look... and will make some of you sick.  When I started this game you could still buy a Colt SAA for under $500... And as long as the family shared the side match guns, I have less than $25 invested for 3 shooters.  I started reloading over 45 years ago and have only upgraded (yet kept the original presses) to Dillon when my wife & son started shooting cowboy with me.

Don't count the clothes... you have to wear something anyway... And if you have trouble convincing the wife... let her do the shopping for outfits!  

8 hours ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

I’m curious and want to hear from others about how much they have invested in CAS. Before I give my number, exposing myself to commentary, let me qualify that I have been planning to shoot cowboy for over 15 years since I first attended a shoot. I have a philosophy of buy once, cry once even though I have sold and swapped my guns to get where I currently am. Also, I was recently forced to retire due to health issues and have had free time like I’ve never had before to read, shop, compare, bid, buy sell and trade so I’ve been a busy little bee. 
   Anyhoo, I have invested counting cart, clothes, leather goods ammo and guns about $13,000.00. Am I insane?

I ended up, temporarily at least, with three sets of Vaqueros, 2 Uberti rifles (1866 and ‘73) two shotguns (1897 from ‘55 and a CZ Hammer Coach) plus a Pedersoli Rolling Block w Lyman tang and globe in 45-70. Am I insane?

I look forward to hearing from you. 
Note: I did not pay Covid inflated prices on anything I own. I’m not that crazy:)

You are a collector with 6 pistols, and that does not attribute all that expense to gearing up for cowboy action. Maybe you could share the investment in just the essentials for your first match. Do you have a nice hat?

3 hours ago, Slapshot said:

Just started only been to one match, and loved it. Got a steal on 2-45, NMV in 4 3/4" stainless, Rossi Overland hammer double and a Rossi 92 lever 45 colt. Turned around right after that and bought a 1858 Remington C&B with conversion cylinder. Now I want a second 1858. Funny thing is I can hit 4" plates at 25 yards with the 1858 but have a hit and miss on the 10" with the NMV's, LOL. 

How much I have into it just after 1 match and 2 months? The above cost me a Glock21, Glock 17, and ATI 1911 plus $1745 cash. Now I just need that 2nd 1858, couple open tops with conversions, 1897 pumpand a 73 or 66 lever gun.

Yeah I think I am insane.

Sure that’s all you need.  That’s what I said. Keep thinking that ;)

7 hours ago, Ranger Dan said:

Those are rookie numbers... I spent $60,000 just last year for a new truck and camper :)

Ditto....the guns, leather, clothes and ammo are the least of your worries.  The RV rig for them big away shoots will cost the most!!!:D

DB:FlagAm:

I sure wish I hadn't seen this post:ph34r:.

We counting backups, leather, reloading, and clothes or just what we started with? 

Randy St Eagle has a small fortune in broom handles just to keep me in line:P.

We could've sure saved a lot of money just buying these buckles instead of trying to win 'em!

21 hours ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

, let me qualify that I have been planning to shoot cowboy for over 15 years since I first attended a shoot.

So have you actually started shooting cowboy or are you still just planning to shoot cowboy? :D  :P

My CAS guns $4,600.

Wife's guns $4800.

Extra set of pistols $1,245.

My leather $300.

Wife's leather $580.

Added safe to hold it all $1,600.

Clothing items--didn't keep track.

Cart - $200 (DIY).

MEC single stage loader:  $400.

MEC 9000 Reloader (used) $700.

Dillon 650 w/attachments $1,900.

Loading components (over 5 yrs.) has been about $16,000, counting current inflated pricing.

Travel trailer: $27,000

Pickup to pull trailer: $58,000.

Fuel costs not tracked. 

So you will have more costs ahead, depending how much you shoot and over what geography. 

22 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Think of it as an investment.  On my shooting spreadsheet that tracks my guns, reloading, shooting, etc, I have a page called values.  Shows what I paid for each gun and what they should sell for now and I keep it updated.  It is primarily for whoever disposes of my estate when I'm gone, but it does show that overall the value of the guns is more than I paid for them.

I have the values too but live in fear of my loving wife finding said list either with a cast iron frying pan handy or while I’m sleeping. She’s welcome to know of course but I want a head start. 

3 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

So have you actually started shooting cowboy or are you still just planning to shoot cowboy? :D  :P

I went in January to a clinic and weather closed the next shoots but I’m on for next Sunday and and next Saturday  and the fourth Sunday. I’ve been trying to get going since 2018 but I’ve had health issues and then Covid shut down ranges and then more heath issues so I researched and purchased or traded. But point taken:)

It's fairly easy to get carried away, or IOW get into the game, a little deep. 

In order to experience the game better I have added a few calibers to my repertoire. 38/357, 44-40, 45 Colt and 44 Spl/Mag. That got a bit much to load for so I added a pair of 550's to handle the ammo chores. 

Your equipment list looks a bit on the conservative side, but you will probably approach normal as soon as you add a new caliber or two. 

CAS is not for the faint of wallet, even going minimalist would be a decent investment. At the core you need a pair of handguns, a rifle and a shotgun. Then having a backup handgun, rifle and shotgun in case of a failure. Already in deep and you only have one caliber. We have the odd Wild Bunch match, so add a 1911 and a 40+ calibre rifle. BTW, I just have one 1911, one has to draw the line somewhere.  

For my additional calibers I use another caliber for a spare. 

BB

I already had a Ruger in .45 Colt and a Rossi in same caliber when I got into playing, so I

added a second pistol and SxS shotgun and some leather.

Started playing, and then over time traded one thing for another, to get to where I am now. 

My Colts are fantastic, and will go to my sons as heirlooms, the rest of the stuff is okay, and can

be sold for near what I paid for it.

One simple rule that has worked in our house is that if I trade a gun for a gun, that's neutral.  If

I buy a new gun, then she gets matching funds for what ever she wants.  It really works, and she knows

fair market value of my guns, which I want her to know when I pass away.

SC

33 minutes ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

I went in January to a clinic and weather closed the next shoots but I’m on for next Sunday and and next Saturday  and the fourth Sunday. I’ve been trying to get going since 2018 but I’ve had health issues and then Covid shut down ranges and then more heath issues so I researched and purchased or traded. But point taken:)

Hope you get to shoot soon.

All the waiting, planning, research and anticipation will pay off.

You are gonna love it!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

I'm guessing you're going to Moonshine, then Belton, then Greenville?  Our paths may cross at Belton, it's a bit of a drive, but if the weather is nice we may get there. 

If you get a chance you might try the South River Shootists in Covington GA on third Saturdays.  Fast Eddie and his crew put on a fun match.

Just so you know I’m not doing this on a whim, then I might be insane. Rather, I was going to join up in 2004/5 at Gateway Gun Club in Jacksonville FL but my dad got sick and I moved home to Columbia SC. Once settled I was going to try again but 2007/8 happened and I’m sure some will remember what a hard time that was. Fast forward to Greenville and I’ve been talking and thinking about it for over 10 years so I join GGC and and bang Cancer. Then Covid hit and the range is closed for a year. Now with normalcy returning I am at it once more. Unless something drastic happens, like me getting struck by lightning or run over by a greyhound bus, I should be able to follow my dream. Still with my luck I wouldn’t bet against lightning or buses. 

9 minutes ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

...Unless something drastic happens, like me getting struck by lightning or run over by a greyhound bus, I should be able to follow my dream...

If you get run over by a greyhound you can sue ($$$), but if you get hit by lightning you are out of luck.

Don't forget to practice!!!!!

I started with a nice gun safe with all the usual modern guns, a couple pistols for carry and home defense. Now the second safe is full and I'm having to double stack long guns. If I were to actually figure out all what I have spent, I would probably sell it all and retire in the bahamas. So lets not even go there... Posse UP :D

I knew it was a lot but hadn’t totaled it until now. Guns,leather, reloading equipment, clothes and a carte easily hits 15000.  That’s only a year and a half in, doesn’t count the gas it takes driving to 4 matches a month 8 months a year averaging 3 hours one way.  Oh and a new SUV to do all this traveling. Oh forgot all the bullet components. Good thing I’m not married or I would be divorced for the 4th time.

Archived