SASS Wire Forum

Am I insane? Cowboy Shooting Purchases

Mezcal Charlie

I’m curious and want to hear from others about how much they have invested in CAS. Before I give my number, exposing myself to commentary, let me qualify that I have been planning to shoot cowboy for over 15 years since I first attended a shoot. I have a philosophy of buy once, cry once even though I have sold and swapped my guns to get where I currently am. Also, I was recently forced to retire due to health issues and have had free time like I’ve never had before to read, shop, compare, bid, buy sell and trade so I’ve been a busy little bee. 
   Anyhoo, I have invested counting cart, clothes, leather goods ammo and guns about $13,000.00. Am I insane?

I ended up, temporarily at least, with three sets of Vaqueros, 2 Uberti rifles (1866 and ‘73) two shotguns (1897 from ‘55 and a CZ Hammer Coach) plus a Pedersoli Rolling Block w Lyman tang and globe in 45-70. Am I insane?

I look forward to hearing from you. 
Note: I did not pay Covid inflated prices on anything I own. I’m not that crazy:)

• Mezcal Charlie changed the title to Oops! Should be in wire forum! Am I insane? Cowboy Shooting Purchases
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a little over $3k, not including reloading equip. and supplies. Then decided I needed to add another $20k for a camper! Not counting the camper and the wife's stuff, I think I'm somewhere around 4-5K now. That includes clothing etc.

If you can afford it, no you are not crazy. 

If you are skipping paying the mortgage, only feeding your kids once a day, getting credit cards issued in your newborn's name, and/or robbing banks, gas stations and little old ladies coming out of the bingo hall in order to buy the latest greatest short stroked 73 .... then maybe you have a problem.:D

They say the you don't have to be crazy to get into Cowboy Action Shooting but it helps!

I'm looking for a larger, better road trip vehicle to go to matches farther away from me so I'll eventually add another 25K to my pricetag. :D

21 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

If you can afford it, no you are not crazy. 

If you are skipping paying the mortgage, only feeding your kids once a day, getting credit cards issued in your newborn's name, and/or robbing banks, gas stations and little old ladies coming out of the bingo hall in order to buy the latest greatest short stroked 73 .... then maybe you have a problem.:D

No, I’m not stealing, lying or cheating to do this. I sold my motorcycle and gear as I can’t ride with my health issues. As for how much, I like the top shelf in bourbon, guns, dogs and wives and have managed to hold true to that. I just didn’t realize how deep down the rabbit hole until my better half asked how much I got for the bike and how much on the guns. So I added up and am reflecting on my actions. In the timeout corner. 

6 minutes ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

No, I’m not stealing, lying or cheating to do this. I sold my motorcycle and gear as I can’t ride with my health issues. As for how much, I like the top shelf in bourbon, guns, dogs and wives and have managed to hold true to that. I just didn’t realize how deep down the rabbit hole until my better half asked how much I got for the bike and how much on the guns. So I added up and am reflecting on my actions. In the timeout corner. 

In the timeout corner. 
Ahh yes. My perpetual home

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Yup , that's what I did.

I think after she saw the glean in my eyes when watching the match at Yuma in 2017 , ( Still got a bone to pick with  Big Horn Bing and his sidekick ,Pacemaker about sending me down this trail ),she knew it was a done deal.

It took a year before she decided to "pull the trigger" and then ,I had to double up on everything.

God only knows what we've spent on CAS but it's been worth every penny  considering the folks we've met and the fun we've had.

Now ,  back to shopping !!!   LOL !

26 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Or you can do like me and recruit the better half into cowboy action.  Then you'll spend three times as much, but no time out corner.

I’m just getting started and my love says she’ll try it sometime but I don’t think it will ever be her cup of cowboy coffee. But where there is breath left, there is hope. 

52 minutes ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

I’m just getting started and my love says she’ll try it sometime but I don’t think it will ever be her cup of cowboy coffee. But where there is breath left, there is hope. 

Thats perfect! Now you can buy her guns with the intent that your Love will need them when she decides to try it! That’s what I did! My cowgirl now has a full set in 45LC lol …  in reality we are also only one vaquero short of her complete set in .357/38… so when she finally tries the 45 set and don’t like it she can have an option lol 

1 hour ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

I’m curious and want to hear from others about how much they have invested in CAS. Before I give my number, exposing myself to commentary, let me qualify that I have been planning to shoot cowboy for over 15 years since I first attended a shoot. I have a philosophy of buy once, cry once even though I have sold and swapped my guns to get where I currently am. Also, I was recently forced to retire due to health issues and have had free time like I’ve never had before to read, shop, compare, bid, buy sell and trade so I’ve been a busy little bee. 
   Anyhoo, I have invested counting cart, clothes, leather goods ammo and guns about $13,000.00. Am I insane?

I ended up, temporarily at least, with three sets of Vaqueros, 2 Uberti rifles (1866 and ‘73) two shotguns (1897 from ‘55 and a CZ Hammer Coach) plus a Pedersoli Rolling Block w Lyman tang and globe in 45-70. Am I insane?

I look forward to hearing from you. 
Note: I did not pay Covid inflated prices on anything I own. I’m not that crazy:)

I haven't added anything up but I'm sure it's less than the price of a new Bass Boat and I enjoy it more than I did fishing.

Randy

49 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Or you can do like me and recruit the better half into cowboy action.  Then you'll spend three times as much, but no time out corner.

I wish I could recruit mine but in 42 years I have gotten her to the range one time and she didn't care anything about it.

Randy

5 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I wish I could recruit mine but in 42 years I have gotten her to the range one time and she didn't care anything about it.

Randy

This is my sad story as well. Will be 40 years in September.

Hunting: Browning A-Bolt in 308. Leopold 3-9. Went once shot one deer. Cleaned rifle and 20 years later may need to clean it again just for old times sake.

22 Target shooting: Browning Buckmark and Ruger 22-45. We were practicing to go to Senior Games and her friend took her to Florida to photograph birds. Bought a new lens and that was that.

CAS: Pair of Wes Fargo 4 click conversions on New Model 357's. Marlin Cowboy Comp in 38 special only. Coyote Cap 97 Cowboy in 12 guage. Backup pair of NM Vaquero's in 45 Colt that are used with C45S. Perhaps 300 rounds in them total. Cleaned them, put in safe and I occasionally take them out and fondle them. (So they don't get lonely).

Maybe someday. sigh :(

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

4 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Hunting: Browning A-Bolt in 308. Leopold 3-9. Went once shot one deer. Cleaned rifle and 20 years later may need to clean it again just for old times sake.

22 Target shooting: Browning Buckmark and Ruger 22-45. We were practicing to go to Senior Games and her friend took her to Florida to photograph birds. Bought a new lens and that was that.

CAS: Pair of Wes Fargo 4 click conversions on New Model 357's. Marlin Cowboy Comp in 38 special only. Coyote Cap 97 Cowboy in 12 guage. Backup pair of NM Vaquero's in 45 Colt that are used with C45S. Perhaps 300 rounds in them total. Cleaned them, put in safe and I occasionally take them out and fondle them. (So they don't get lonely).

Regards

Gateway Kid

Mine fired about 10 or 15 shots through a .22 revolver and that was it.

Randy

2 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Regards

Gateway Kid

I like guns and have had many but for most of my life I’d buy one sell one to buy another and on she goes. My fixed always keep must have guns were Remington 700 BDL 30-06 in left hand, 1100 12ga in left hand. Both bought with my money when I was 15/16. And I could hunt anything I wanted in the lower 48. Then I bought a 1911 for home defense and I was complete. Except for hobby stuff and what you need vs what you want is a hard thing to distinguish. Anyway I’m about done as far as I can tell until someone invents a phaser or blaster. 

Think of it as an investment.  On my shooting spreadsheet that tracks my guns, reloading, shooting, etc, I have a page called values.  Shows what I paid for each gun and what they should sell for now and I keep it updated.  It is primarily for whoever disposes of my estate when I'm gone, but it does show that overall the value of the guns is more than I paid for them.

35 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I haven't added anything up but I'm sure it's less than the price of a new Bass Boat and I enjoy it more than I did fishing.

Randy

And that new bass boat is going to depreciate WAY FASTER than your guns!  :)

3 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Think of it as an investment.  On my shooting spreadsheet that tracks my guns, reloading, shooting, etc, I have a page called values.  Shows what I paid for each gun and what they should sell for now and I keep it updated.  It is primarily for whoever disposes of my estate when I'm gone, but it does show that overall the value of the guns is more than I paid for them.

I do have a list of my guns but not as extensive as yours.  I hope when I die my wife doesn't sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them!

I'm going to steal a joke from a different sport:

Q: How do I become a millionaire?

A: Start off as a billionaire and then get into Cowboy Action Shooting. 

Do you like what you have?  Then no, you didn't spend too much. 

I have absolutely no idea what I've spent over the years but I'd guess the current asking price for all my main match guns, their identical backups, cart, leather, and all reloading supplies is somewhere North of your number. There's people out there that spend a heck of a lot more but don't have nearly as much fun so ours is money very well spent. 

30 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

$13,000?  Amateur.  :D

Yep. Ok if I add in the cost of the house we bought in Arizona, well you get the idea.:ph34r::D

I think of myself as fairly typical.  I started 3 years ago, and I’ve changed categories and equipment to match.  I thought I was finally content with what I had, but nooo I got an ‘87 shotgun, fell in love with it so I just had to go out and get it’s 10ga sister.  I don’t worry about the cost too much, no kids, no family and I’ve never seen a hearse with a trailer hitch. 

I don’t worry about the cost too much, no kids, no family and I’ve never seen a hearse with a trailer hitch. 

How about this?

car-funeral-chipper.jpg.d6b8fbf5d018c319b50261c3f7fe4199.jpg

$13,000  Heck, I have spent that much on one Colt and I have more than 50 .If you want to spend big $$$$$$$$$$ be a collector.

When I started I already had one Vaquero and a sawed off shotgun, so it was a minimal cost to start. 

Next was rebuilding the shed - fully insulated and double floor. 

Now add a couple of different calibers to shoot (revolvers & rifles), then the wife started, add 2 Dillon 650s & one 900, and the travel trailer is on order. 

Then throw in a couple of 38-55s (lever actions), a 45-75 1886, and you've got to have a 45-70 Pedersoli Sharps. 

When you make all the purchases while you're working it's not such a big deal.  

All those $$$$ and we haven't mentioned all the ammo that you will go through. 

It's a good thing that this is just a game.  If we got serious about it how much more $$$$ would we be spending??!!

Take care, 

BS

2 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

When I started I already had one Vaquero and a sawed off shotgun, so it was a minimal cost to start. 

Next was rebuilding the shed - fully insulated and double floor. 

Now add a couple of different calibers to shoot (revolvers & rifles), then the wife started, add 2 Dillon 650s & one 900, and the travel trailer is on order. 

Then throw in a couple of 38-55s (lever actions), a 45-75 1886, and you've got to have a 45-70 Pedersoli Sharps. 

When you make all the purchases while you're working it's not such a big deal.  

All those $$$$ and we haven't mentioned all the ammo that you will go through. 

It's a good thing that this is just a game.  If we got serious about it how much more $$$$ would we be spending??!!

Take care, 

BS

Well I may have been remiss in not mentioning turning the mother in law suite we built for mom (she’s since passed) into a reloading, gunsmithing gun storage compound. If included were way north of my original figure before and bench or reloading equipment. 

why did you have to ask???? I had to calculate...

i just started a year ago... I am over $9K in....  that buying all but one of my stuff used!  I did sell about $5K worth of modern guns I owned to offset some costs but... wow

2 uberti 1873 rifles $2200

a SASS NMV set $2100

2 uberti SAA clones $1000

IAC 1897 $400

Baikal double $600

action jobs on all of the above $1000

2 sets of used leather rigs $450

used Dillon SDB and reloading accessories $500

hats, boots and clothes $700

Gun cart  $150

Archived