SASS Wire Forum

Range practice and ammo cost

With the current availability of 38spl & .357 slowly returning, yet not at the prices they used to be, I've been considering the purchase of a pair of these Ruger Wranglers in 22cal to use in lieu of my Ruger Vaqueros.

I have not seen or held these as yet. 

Questions:

1. Will they fit in my holsters which were made for my Vaqueros?

2. Would practicing with 22cal ammo affect my conditioning in any detrimental aspect?

3. Is this even a good idea?

4. Anyone attest to the value of ownership a pair of these along with owning Vaqueros?

5. Is there another alternative firearm in 22cal?

Always appreciate any input being provided.

31300049_01.webp.d6cb737d91f801cf91f5341f0b915211.webp

Snip-it_1643564343086.jpg.1424b6021dc65587a563e96c2a4551cc.jpg

The Wrangler is the same size as a Single Six. So no, it will not fit in a holster made for a Vaquero. Well, it will fit, but it will fit awful sloppily.

This is a Single Six, and the holster was made for a Blackhawk. As you can see, there's quite a bit of space around that gun.

IMG_20220130_120146101.thumb.jpg.35a33e67fad64ee71a2f65db4e4e9b95.jpg

We have a number of cowfolk that are using them in matches (TRR has a .22 category)

they use their regular leather and other than the Baby-Huey loading gate they like them.  

don't feel they help or hurt their big-bore single action shooting

I have a couple of Heritage .22 single actions (a safety on a single action?!?!!) and while they are not up to the quality of the Wranglers they are also fun to shoot and do a quite respectable job 

@Alpo, @Dirty Dog Doug, @Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L,

Thank you for the info. 

Cost WAS a consideration in the purchase of another set of firearms, especially for this purpose. 

As to them fitting in my holsters, I could always wear them to Rural King and ask the clerk to try a pair. :o:P

I have a pair of the Heritage 22s and they are good little pistols. Far more accurate than their humble price suggests, give em a look.

4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

With the current availability of 38spl & .357 slowly returning, yet not at the prices they used to be, I've been considering the purchase of a pair of these Ruger Wranglers in 22cal to use in lieu of my Ruger Vaqueros.

I have not seen or held these as yet. 

Questions:

1. Will they fit in my holsters which were made for my Vaqueros?

2. Would practicing with 22cal ammo affect my conditioning in any detrimental aspect?

3. Is this even a good idea?

4. Anyone attest to the value of ownership a pair of these along with owning Vaqueros?

5. Is there another alternative firearm in 22cal?

Always appreciate any input being provided.

31300049_01.webp.d6cb737d91f801cf91f5341f0b915211.webp

Snip-it_1643564343086.jpg.1424b6021dc65587a563e96c2a4551cc.jpg

I  know very little about the Wrangler or what practicing with it might do to your pre-learned skills.  But if you'll enjoy shooting when you otherwise could not, then I say "go for it".  Enjoyment is what it's all about.  Go have fun.  

I have a pair and they fit pretty well in my holsters that were made for Uberti's and Colts. They go down a tiny bit further in the holster but it works!

Much of the practice with .22s will be transferable to your main match guns.  You can move your average stage time from, say, 40 seconds down to maybe 25 seconds.  Improvement beyond that will depend on improved handling of your main match guns.

Just my opinion, based on my experience with a pair of Single Sixes and a Henry lever .22 LR.

I just picked up a pair of Wranglers right before Christmas.  I dropped in new spring kits just this weekend.  I've haven't shot this pair yet, but I've played with my gunsmith's pair.  They are good guns.  They're not finished as well as my Single Sixes, but they are nicer than the Heritage revolvers I've played with.

Our club is planning an old retired guys & gals match during the workweek and I think we're going to allow .22s. 

I have a pair of the Wranglers and a pair of the single sixes. While the single sixes are obviously better made they are three times the cost. My Wranglers have Altamont grips and adding Wolff 17/30 spring kits and a little time spent polishing stuff made them a lot of fun to shoot. Either of the pairs would be suitable for practice or one of the “22” matches being offered recently.
To the OP, they both fit my “New Vaquero” holsters pretty well but as Alpo pointed out they are really sloppy in my “Old Model” holsters. Have been lusting for a pair of the birds head Wranglers if my dealer could get them in. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

5 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I picked up a birdshead Wrangler, and so far I am loving it.  3 1/2" barrel, and birdshead.  

ruger wrangler 1.jpg

I don’t want to like it……but I do. ;)

I'm shooting 22LR while the component shortage continues.
I've gotten permission to shoot this, even as an adult, for the above reason.
I also have a Henry Frontier in 22LR...

Cannot shoot the coach gun for a very long time, due to new heart stents.
I've got plenty of 22LR

I bought a pair of the Wranglers for my Grandsons to plink with .

They are a cheap Single six .

They are a good gun .

The single six parts and grips fit them so they are a smaller gun then the Vaquero.

But for cheap shooting it's hard to beat a pair of Wranglers and a Henry rifle.

It will cost you about as much for the three as a good new cartridge gun .

You can put them in the same holsters for practice shooting .

Just going to be looser then your Vaqueros . 

I would not try ridding a horse with them in your Vaquero holsters lol 

Rooster

4 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

What is the benefit of birds head grips?

More compact, and I like the way they feel in my hand.  I don't care for them with heavy recoiling guns, but for anything up to a 38, they're fun to shoot.

Archived