SASS Wire Forum

Gun Socks with Silicone

Buckshot Bear

I use a few on some of treasured rifles, like my Dad’s old 22 Winchester bolt action.  I used to let my Scouts shoot with it, but they were damaging the stocks tossing it on the benches.  Once I cleaned it back up, the sock keeps it nice. 
the scouts get polymer now.   
I also use it on the backup to the backup guns… 

I buy gun socks from Walmart , nothing fancy but protects my gun from dinging each other when I am going to the range or going to a match.

They are like $5 a peace.

When I first considered them years ago, there were scare stories of moisture retention and corrosion that pushed me away.  Never bought one.

Now that I'm living in a high humidity area, I'm even more worried about extended storage in a material that can hold moisture.  I understand that silicone displaces water (or so they say), but is treatment with silicone an effective long-term preventative that will absolutely prevent corrosion?  I don't want to put my guns in wet socks.

LL

I've used them in the past before I had a good safe. Back about 20 years I was told that silicone is a bad thing in the shop and that some smiths won't even take in a gun that had been wiped with a silicone cloth. Apparently it fumes off and creates all sorts of havoc when bluing and refinishing. Never seen anything about it since and I still use a silicone cloth. Huh.

34 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Do the silicone sleeves affect scoped rifles scopes over a period of time? Asking for a friend.

Not in my experience. I have a Nylon 77 with a scope that has been kept in a Borestore for 20 years +/-! I keep my scoped AR in one. That has been about 3 years now.

Hello,

We sell a ton of them and recommend them for storing guns in any format. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I thought you was wearin those socks to get silicone into them.

kR

Something is getting into them.  Not sure it is silicone.

If you have a stock with a dipped application , the silicone sock will soften the finish. No effect on traditional oil or lacquer finishes. Make sure the firearm is dry before placing in the sock, or the sock will prevent moisture from leaving and cause rust/ corrosion. YMMV.

Bore Store Bags for my handguns and longs as well.

Brownells ships them to me in Canada.

They've saved me a lot of grief - rust and safe kisses.

Archived