SASS Wire Forum

Where to find Trail Boss

thespaniard

Any idea where this hidden gold can be found ?

Didn’t see in any of the authentic websites like Powder Valley or Midway or Brownells have them in stock.

Saw some in websites which accepts Bitcoin which means these are all scams.

New shooter, received one pound from a local pard here and started loading and loving it and when turned around and tried to find more , all trail seems to have been closed :( the most frustrating for new shooters who started in 2020 time frame is that reloading supplies are gone and hard to find.

I am new to CAS but been shooting and collecting guns since I was 14 years old and as a good habit always kept buying some factory ammo now and then so was never affected by the ammo crisis when it came to 223, 9mm, 308, 7.62x39 and even 9mm Makarovs and 32ACP .But just started reloading and it’s been all but smooth. Whatever I can scavenge online is also limited stock and excessive price with shipping and taxes and hazmat.

Would love some advice and suggestions where to find some decent reloading supplies especially powders, Primers through local club members and experienced shooters are still available through good pards who are willing to help a rookie.

1 - You're just going to have to keep your eyes open.  Stop at local stores that carry components every chance you get.

2 - Don't just fixate on one powder.

What cartridge are you loading for CAS?

From what I understand, you can forget about buying new Trailboss. It isn't presently being made and may return in 2023 but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. 

You're going to have to find an alternative to TB. Clays, American Select, Unique, Red Dot and others are good powders also. You'll have to scour the internet multiple times a day/night at the places you mentioned and other known suppliers. You didn't mention Natchez which is a good source for powder/primers. You can also use AmmoSeek (see link below). You can find items on Gun Broker but you better get out the Vaseline cause your gonna need it. The prices aren't going down any time soon and supply isn't going to magically appear, so it's either pay the price or quit for a while. 

Good luck

https://ammoseek.com/

Edit - Red Dot and American Select are available at Everglades Ammo for an outrageous price of about $430 (8lb) + HazMat + Shipping. You'll need the gallon size Vaseline though. 

Edit - Midway evidently has 1 lb bottles of Clays and TiteGroup also.

2 minutes ago, Cayuse Jack, SASS #19407 said:

Take a look at the ADI website.

They make trail boss.

http://www.adiworldclass.com.au/2021/12/16/propellant-update/

The ADI website reads -  "Trail Boss – This propellant is unlikely to be released in 2022 as there continues to be an active research and development project associated with its manufacturing optimisation."

In other words it is no longer being made.  ADI use to make Clays.  They don't make that anymore either.  The current "Clays" is made in Canada.  Any Trailboss that someone may find is old stock and you won't see any newly made stuff for quite a while if ever.

6 minutes ago, Cayuse Jack, SASS #19407 said:

They make trail boss.

From the website:

Trail Boss – This propellant is unlikely to be released in 2022 as there continues to be an active research and development project associated with its manufacturing optimisation.

17 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

From what I understand, you can forget about buying new Trailboss. It isn't presently being made and may return in 2023 but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. 

You're going to have to find an alternative to TB. Clays, American Select, Unique, Red Dot and others are good powders also. You'll have to scour the internet multiple times a day/night at the places you mentioned and other known suppliers. You didn't mention Natchez which is a good source for powder/primers. You can also use AmmoSeek (see link below). You can find items on Gun Broker but you better get out the Vaseline cause your gonna need it. The prices aren't going down any time soon and supply isn't going to magically appear, so it's either pay the price or quit for a while. 

Good luck

Edit - Red Dot and American Select are available at Everglades Ammo for an outrageous price of about $430 (8lb) + HazMat + Shipping. You'll need the gallon size Vaseline though. 

Man, I wonder what my newly opened 15 lb keg of Red Dot would bring?

38 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

1 - You're just going to have to keep your eyes open.  Stop at local stores that carry components every chance you get.

2 - Don't just fixate on one powder.

What cartridge are you loading for CAS?

I shoot 45 LC for my Rifle and 45 Cowboy for my pistols. I am currently also using Win 231 which I had to buy multiple times from Brownells as it was a 2 items limit and paid multiple shipping and hazmat.Natchez had one 5 lb of Win 231 which I was able to get. With the 231 I have been using around 6.4 grain and with the Cowboy I am using around 3.5 gr of Trailboss. The Win 231 creates a black soot on the shells as it’s slow burning powder and clunks up the chamber of the six shooters. I plan to carry some swabs in my next match to run through the barrels with Ballistol after each stage.

Clays is beginning to show up, I bought an 8# keg a few weeks ago at Sportsman’s Warehouse for $265 out the door. It will load .45 Colt and.45 Cowboy and it is a pretty clean powder at mid-range levels and with a good crimp. I have never loaded .45 Cowboy but have used it in .45 acp and that should be about the same.  It may be temperature sensitive on the low end but I’ve never had any problems loading at mid-level.

Randy 

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Good luck

Edit - Midway evidently has 1 lb bottles of Clays and TiteGroup also.

Yep saw 2 9oz bottles of trail boss on gun broker last night 300 bucks I hate scalpers 

almost hate to say this but have you thought of shooting BP or a BP Sub?  Powders like Swiss and APP have been easier to get then most smokeless powders. Of course primers are a whole other story. 

13 hours ago, thespaniard said:

I shoot 45 LC for my Rifle and 45 Cowboy for my pistols. I am currently also using Win 231 which I had to buy multiple times from Brownells as it was a 2 items limit and paid multiple shipping and hazmat.Natchez had one 5 lb of Win 231 which I was able to get. With the 231 I have been using around 6.4 grain and with the Cowboy I am using around 3.5 gr of Trailboss. The Win 231 creates a black soot on the shells as it’s slow burning powder and clunks up the chamber of the six shooters. I plan to carry some swabs in my next match to run through the barrels with Ballistol after each stage.

You mention here using W231 in your rifle but then confuse whether pistols are using Trailboss or W231 ("chambers of the six shooters"). W231 definitely can be used in 45CS for the pistols. The rifle is going to be sooty no matter what you use, because 45 Colt cases don't expand enough at low power and blow soot all over. You should get a good powder granule burn though, if not too low in powder weight.

14 hours ago, Cayuse Jack, SASS #19407 said:

They make trail boss.

Not available now. Having to reformulate to meet EURO standards. 

JM

15 hours ago, thespaniard said:

Win 231 creates a black soot on the shells as it’s slow burning powder

No, it's sooty because it is a double-base powder (contains nitroglycerin), and you are shooting it in very light pressure loads.  

The speed of the burn rate is not the direct reason.  231 takes a heavier weight of powder to get to the "complete burn" pressures (about 10 or 12,000 psi, in my experience) than the fast pistol powders like Clays, Red Dot, 700X, etc.  231 when loaded in .45 Colt to burn clean, will be giving muzzle velocities over 1000 FPS, pretty fast for most cowboy matches.

As you have found, reloading components are hard to come by and have been all during the pandemic.   Use what you can find that works well for you.   But do not count on Trail Boss for at least a year or two.

1 hour ago, J. M. BROWN, SASS # 27309 said:

Not available now. Having to reformulate to meet EURO standards. 

TB already meets the CE standards and has the "CE" symbol on the current canisters.  Believe the TB problems are with manufacturing safety, which ADI has referred to in some recent press releases.

good luck, GJ

46 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

No, it's sooty because it is a double-base powder (contains nitroglycerin), and you are shooting it in very light pressure loads.  

The speed of the burn rate is not the direct reason.  231 takes a heavier weight of powder to get to the "complete burn" pressures (about 10 or 12,000 psi, in my experience) than the fast pistol powders like Clays, Red Dot, 700X, etc.  231 when loaded in .45 Colt to burn clean, will be giving muzzle velocities over 1000 FPS, pretty fast for most cowboy matches.

As you have found, reloading components are hard to come by and have been all during the pandemic.   Use what you can find that works well for you.   But do not count on Trail Boss for at least a year or two.

TB already meets the CE standards and has the "CE" symbol on the current canisters.  Believe the TB problems are with manufacturing safety, which ADI has referred to in some recent press releases.

good luck, GJ

TB lost its CE certification in June of 2018 when the REACH standards were revised by the EU.

In early 2020 Australia phased in this same REACH revision. This caused the production of a lot of powders manufactured by ADI to cease as they were no longer compliant. To date ADI has not come up with a suitable manufacturing process for many of its powders that meets the current REACH standard.

One of the gotchas with the REACH standard is that it is a constantly moving target. Every time it gets revised something new winds up being non-compliant.

Before all these Whiz Bang powders there were plenty of powders that would work just fine  Unique, Red dot Bullseye and many more. If TB never returns no great loss.  IMHO

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

TB lost its CE certification in June of 2018 when the REACH standards were revised by the EU.

In early 2020 Australia phased in this same REACH revision. This caused the production of a lot of powders manufactured by ADI to cease as they were no longer compliant. To date ADI has not come up with a suitable manufacturing process for many of its powders that meets the current REACH standard.

One of the gotchas with the REACH standard is that it is a constantly moving target. Every time it gets revised something new winds up being non-compliant.

Sounds like the proverbial death of a thousand cuts.

I was happy yesterday when a local shop had Scheutzen bp. Was only able to buy 2 bottles one 2f and one 3f. I would have preferred to have gotten both 2f but the store had a limited amount available so was happy to get what they had and not at crazy prices. Now to find the elusive Rem # 10 caps. I think next week I will go back and get another 2 bottles.

Hochbauer

I really like TB...but the reality is, it is going by the way of the Bison. At least that is what is seems like.  I have compiled a list of powders for CAS for the calibers that I shoot and look for anything on my list.  I do not load for .38 but I load for the larger .44-40 and larger.  Good luck and try something different.  I have recently been playing with Triple 7, FFFg.  

Archived