SASS Wire Forum

I had one of these Phantom Mustang models. Showed the internals. Very cool.

https://www.amazon.com/Revell-Monogram-Phantom-P-51D-Mustang/dp/B004ZK7FSG

Always one of my favorite planes. The Abilene airport has a fly in of all sorts of planes once a year. Used to drive by every morning to work. One morning this plane was taking off and I thought dang, that looks like a Mustang. Turned a curve and it flew over the highway in front of me. It was like dang.......that IS a Mustang!

JHC

Most amazing thing about is is the time from concept to prototype to construction to test flight. About 160 days!

My Dad was Superintendent over the Mustang assembly line at the Los Angeles plant of North American Aviation during WWII. He was also involved in the design and manufacturing of the F86 Sabre Jet. They are 2 of the most beautiful airplanes ever built IMHO.

25 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

My Dad was Superintendent over the Mustang assembly line at the Los Angeles plant of North American Aviation during WWII. He was also involved in the design and manufacturing of the F86 Sabre Jet. They are 2 of the most beautiful airplanes ever built IMHO.

Absolutely the pinnacle of fighter aircraft design in my opinion!! 

Interesting, thanks for sharing. But methinks he should do just a little more research. Now I am not an airplane designer, mechanic, or pilot, but it seemed to me he had the segment about the prop a bit backwards. I could very well be in error, but it seemed he was showing the prop being feathered at cruise. Either his description or the video of the prop pitch change was reversed. 

Otherwise a fascinating video.

The P-51 Mustang, F-86 Sabre and F4U Corsair are the ones I most wanted to fly. They all had guns. I only flew one airplane with guns. The A-4 Skyhawk had 2 20mm cannon, but they were for ground attack, not fighting. Still they were a hoot to shoot. 

PF

17 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Add one more for the trifecta of WWII fighter design

P38 Lightning

P-38-LIGHTNING.jpg

My memory isn’t what it used to be but there was a version of the above where 2 Mustangs were connected, not a lot made but I do remember it. My favorite 3 are the  P40 Warhawk, the Mustang and the above Lightning. 

That was the P [F]-82 Twin Mustang.

You Can Buy The World's Only Flyable P-82 Twin Mustang For ...

6 hours ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

The P-51 Mustang, F-86 Sabre and F4U Corsair are the ones I most wanted to fly. They all had guns. I only flew one airplane with guns. The A-4 Skyhawk had 2 20mm cannon, but they were for ground attack, not fighting. Still they were a hoot to shoot. 

PF

I knew a former Marine A-4 pilot; quite an impressive gentleman.  I met him through the Scout troop chartered with the local VFW - don't recall if he was a Major or Lieutenant Colonel.   He would give talks to the Scouts about Native American culture - he was a Yaqui Indian.

Sadly, we lost Bill just about three years ago.  

Back in 1974 I was hunting in Northern California.  While glassing a hillside a half mile or more off, I saw a reflection where there should be nothing but grass, manzanita, and madrone.

So being the curious sort I've always been I hiked down a steep, rattlesnake infested slope to the site - and was really surprised to find the wreckage of a P-51!

It was a mess.  I later found out that it had crashed only a year or so earlier.  It hit so hard that just the concussion scraped clear an area not much smaller than a football field, with the brush piled around the perimeter as if it had been bulldozed.  

I hiked back in the next day with a few simple tools in my day pack, hoping to find a brass Rolls-Royce placard - instead, on one of the valve covers was stamped "PACKARD."  But I did harvest a piston from the shattered engine.  About 25 years later gave the piston to my then 8-year old son.

Danged things are BIG!  And it had a dozen of 'em!!  :huh:

Resized_20220130_205618.jpeg.81770d821897e1872d35bfc8cc7bed68.jpeg

Archived