SASS Wire Forum

Saw This At Work

Subdeacon Joe

Back when my wife of 24 years and I were dating, we had eaten in a cafe with lots of spring turkey hunters in camo all saying they'd seen nothing. After that we drove out to our farm, pulled inside the gate, and this stupid tom must have mistaken my Silverado as a hen and commenced to strut and put on a show around my pickup. We just sat there and watched him a good while.  I had my trusty Smith 19 and could have blasted him into the middle of next week at any time 10 feet away. But seemed like that would have been flat out murder. Wild turkeys ain't that great eating so we let him be.

JHC

Once while coyote hunting I was using a slate to try to call some dogs in. One of those still, silent mornings, I was leaned back against a big old tree when a Tom let out one of those big yelps from behind me about 20 feet away and nearly scared me to death!

I've seen LOTS of turkeys when it was not turkey season, even inside city limits... like in the El Cerrito BART Station parking lot.  I've seen 'em walking down the street in Crockett, east of San Francisco.  I've seen 'em in parks.  But I've only seen one while turkey hunting - and he on the wing, just flying by.  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I've seen LOTS of turkeys when it was not turkey season, even inside city limits... like in the El Cerrito BART Station parking lot.  I've seen 'em walking down the street in Crockett, east of San Francisco.  I've seen 'em in parks.  But I've only seen one while turkey hunting - and he on the wing, just flying by.  :rolleyes:

I think the deer and turkeys have a hunting season version of the “Emergency Broadcast System”. :lol:

Hunters in Ontario, Canada, re-introduced them here and they are doing well.

They are now hunted again. in a spring and a fall hunt.

Archived