SASS Wire Forum

need help with 1873 trapdoor sear engagement

Snakejaw_Joe

Pards, I am repairing an original 1873 Springfield Trapdoor (1883 production with 3 position tumbler) and am having a sear engagement issue with positions 2 and 3. When the hammer is pulled back you can see the stirrup hitting the tumbler preventing it from going back any further. I’m guessing maybe the mainspring had been transplanted from an earlier 2 position tumbler, and I need a shorter mainspring? The shorter mainspring would give the stirrup more travel… but everywhere I look I only see one style mainspring… Here is a video from our shop of the issue:

Yea, they have one mainspring in stock and it’s labeled for a Whitneyville Plymouth and Springfield 1873-1889… comes hardened, needs tempering… the one size fits all is a bit concerning. may have to make a custom spring to fit if all else fails… it’s in NRA Excellent condition otherwise so don’t want to over stress internals with a too-heavy spring

IF you plan to replace the spring, measure it's length with an older one.  you may be able to trim the length of the one you have.  if it still does not work, well you were gonna get another one anyway.  I always try to use what I have first.   sometimes saves time and money.....B)

Thanks for all the links fellas. After thinking on it off and on for the weekend I think I have an idea… given that only one size mainspring was designed through all years, and the only thing that changed was the tumbler from 2 to 3 notches… and the only part that changed in that conversion was the sear (there’s a 2 notch sear and a 3 notch sear)… I’m making my bet that someone at some point replaced/repaired the original broken sear with a 2 notch sear. Shot in the dark maybe, but it at least feels more like a shot in the dark with a tactical flashlight. I have a new 3 position sear on the way from grandpas gun parts, cross your fingers for me. If that doesn’t work, I would go all in on the stirrup… the stirrup is technically part of the tumbler assembly but with the same thought process that at some point the old stirrup broke off the tumbler and someone dropped in a stirrup from a 2 notch tumbler

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to post an update and close it out. I was right about the spring being too long. Got an authentic original replacement spring for 3 notch tumbler and it was maybe 50 thou shorter on the stirrup leg than what was in the gun. Sure enough, she works flawlessly now. Must have been bubba dropping in any which spring and calling it good ‘nuff. She will live to fire again!

Archived