SASS Wire Forum

209 Shotgun Primers -- Anybody have them in stock?

Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

Need some.
Do you know of anyone who has them in stock?
Thanks

--Dawg

Keep watching the usual suspects, BPI, Natchez, Brownells, Precision Reloading, Recobs target shop, seems like someone gets them in about every week or so.  Got 5k cheddites from BPI last week.

Midway has had Federal 209s several times in the last few weeks. Like everywhere, they are available for a day or so then sell out. Keep watching.

At this time I have enough primers to probably make it a year but as one who panics and has seen how difficult it s to come across the pistol primers I want I have recently bought some loaded shotshells at $8.22 a box.  They give me piece of mind that I will have something to shoot.  They travel at 1145fps and although I never chromed mine I really do not notice a difference.  Just saying you might want to get a few boxes of loaded to help tide you over.

3 minutes ago, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

At this time I have enough primers to probably make it a year but as one who panics and has seen how difficult it s to come across the pistol primers I want I have recently bought some loaded shotshells at $8.22 a box.  They give me piece of mind that I will have something to shoot.  They travel at 1145fps and although I never chromed mine I really do not notice a difference.  Just saying you might want to get a few boxes of loaded to help tide you over.

LOL. If I fall below 10 cases I get nervous.

Several suppliers have had Cheddite 209 primers in stock the last few months.  They are a French manufactured primer and I've been using them the last few years.  They are great primers.

I just did an internet search for Cheddite primers for sale.  A couple of websites popped up, but none that I have done business with.  With the recent report of fake websites, I would be leery of ordering from someone I don't know.  You, however, may recognize a business you know on this search.

I found a good supply at Sportsman's Warehouse a few months ago.

Thanks for all the information & thanks for the heads-up Captain.
Looks like I'll give the Federals a try!

--Dawg

We are waiting on the arrival of them at our local gun shop.  The owner informed us that the price of this shipment will be higher and the one after that even higher.  They will be the Cheddites and he also told us that they will likely be about the only brand we'll be seeing for a while.  I guess time will tell.

1 hour ago, Seymour Action said:

Midway has had Federal 209s several times in the last few weeks. Like everywhere, they are available for a day or so then sell out. Keep watching.

MidwayUSA has some listed right now - 1,000 limit.  I know a clays shooter who bought some last week.  It cost him $120 after shipping and HAZMAT was added.  Cheddites are a better deal if you can find them.  They are often listed at $56/1,000.

1 hour ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Thanks for all the information & thanks for the heads-up Captain.
Looks like I'll give the Federals a try!

--Dawg

I still use my Fed. 209A's in my BP shotshells with no issue. Been using Cheddite for a couple years with smokeless with no issues. Good Luck.

By ordering 5k I got the cheddites from BPI last week for 48/1k plus shipping and hazmat.  Came out to about 60/1k

I see a lot of discussion (mostly uncertainty or lack of familiarity) on Cheddite primers. Between my trap and sporting clays shooting (pre-CAS) and now with my CAS addiction, I’ve popped over 150,000 cheddite 209 primers. If the shelves were full of every option, I would still choose them.  Never a problem and always more economical. Sure, they are a little tight (hardly noticeable) in the primer pockets initially but since I never load any other brand, that has not been a problem for me.  

If you find them available, I wouldn’t think twice about it. Hope this helps if there was any doubt. 

Good luck on the hunt everyone!

JJ

I was able to pick up federal primers as well as Hodgdon and Clays powder. Go to Midway and click the notify me button and they’ll email you when something comes into stock. You just have to be quick. 

Bought 5000 Cheddite from BPI  earlier this month, with hazmat & shipping it worked out to $54/1000.

I've used primed Cheddite hulls for years and they always go bang.   

17 hours ago, JJ “Reb” Wainwright 110206 said:

I see a lot of discussion (mostly uncertainty or lack of familiarity) on Cheddite primers. Between my trap and sporting clays shooting (pre-CAS) and now with my CAS addiction, I’ve popped over 150,000 cheddite 209 primers. If the shelves were full of every option, I would still choose them.  Never a problem and always more economical. Sure, they are a little tight (hardly noticeable) in the primer pockets initially but since I never load any other brand, that has not been a problem for me.  

If you find them available, I wouldn’t think twice about it. Hope this helps if there was any doubt. 

Good luck on the hunt everyone!

JJ

Tight in what brand of hulls?

28 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Tight in what brand of hulls?

European primers are generally a little larger than their U.S. counterparts and will stretch the primer pockets of shells such as the Winchester AA and Remington STS and if you switch back to American primers they can be loose or even fall out.  American primers in European shells are often loose.  The new Cheddites in the pink and blue box are pretty much the same size as a Winchester 209.  I have been using the Cheddites as I picked up 5,000 at Sportsman's Warehouse a month ago and my supply of Winchesters is getting low.  They actually fit the Remington STS better than the Winchester 209 primer as Remington primer pockets are a little shorter than the AA.  The Cheddite diamter is the same as a Winchester 209 but it is .005 shorter so it works great in the STS.  For my trap loads I use only STS or AA.  For my CAS loads I use Remington Gun Clubs for smokeless and black.  I do run them through a super sizer to get the steel rim fully back to factory size and only load them once and toss them.  Come out of my doubles slicker than snot.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:00 AM, Cypress Sun said:

I've been seeing Fed 209A's for sale. I's told that they are the same size as 209's but somewhat "hotter".

Federal has not made 209 in almost 20 years.  The 209A replaced it.  And yes, 209A is generally understood to be a bit hotter than the 209 it replaced.

On 1/27/2022 at 6:17 AM, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

I have never "chromed" my shotshells, but my spell checker does it for me sometimes.  

On 1/27/2022 at 12:34 PM, Dirty Dog Doug said:

I bought 40 cases of rem gun club  I hope I live long enuff to shoot them all 

gun clubs.jpg

Dirty Dog Doug,

You need to bring a box of those along with your shooting irons to our Richmond Roughriders match on Feb. 13th, you're not that far away.

You would be welcome.

Rough 'N' Ready Rob

On 1/27/2022 at 8:36 AM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Need some.
Do you know of anyone who has them in stock?
Thanks

--Dawg

Hey Prairie Dawg, I just checked at Midway. They say they currently have Federal 209As in stock, limit 1 brick for 74.99 plus hazmat and shipping. I ordered a brick last night.

I've found this site to be helpful.

https://ammoseek.com/

Put in your search criteria and it lists sites that have what you want. I've used it several times.

On 1/27/2022 at 9:17 AM, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

1145 fps at what shot weight? Velocity alone is not a complete indicator. I am going to guess at 1 oz, while many shoot 3/4 or 7/8. Your find sounds good though, based on what I have seen in shops.

Archived