SASS Wire Forum

The Life Story of a Confederate Cowboy .

Rooster Ron Wayne

Meanwhile over in the Saloon and Brothel .

The drovers was drinking down some trail dust and picking a gal to drink with .

Miss. Margerett was greeting the Cowboys with big smiles and her girls .

Come on in boys .

Make yourselves to home .

We have everything you need .

Poker in the rear and liquor in the front and Lady's in between .

Where is Captain  Armstrong boys ?

We missed his presence here in our town ... 

One of the cowboys they call Duke answered miss Margaret's  question about where captain John was.  He said " the captain had some business to take care of and then he's got the cattle to sell.  You know the captain he's all business most all of the time.  But I'm sure he'll stop in for a drink and to tell you hello at least."  Duke said this while a young saloon girl named Louisa held on tightly to his arm.  Duke looked right handsome after a bath, haircut and shave, new clothes and a new hat.  Louisa wanted him to herself and didnt want any of the other girls to get any ideas of moving in on her man.

Back at the jail Marshall Matt told Cholo and Santos that they were free to go and join their friends in the fun and they quickly skedadled out the door.  Gradually the others who were gathered there, including Captain John made there way outside and off to do other things.  Captain John was off to find the cattle buyer and stop by the bank.  This left the three brothers, CJ and Deputy Hank in the office.  When Matt brought up the deputy idea again Henry stopped him short and said "hold on Matt.  I've got to think about that some.  I've been alone and drifting for some time now and being tied down to being a lawman, well I don't know how that would feel.  But you can be sure that if trouble gets stirred up I'll be there to back my brothers.

Henry has been threw so much.

He is not thinking about staying any place .

Just learning about his parents' death , Henry is not even sure how he feels about life in general.  

Henry decides to stroll over to the Saloon and have a beer himself.

As Henry walks threw the crowd of drovers he see's a beautiful corn fed country girl in a dress walking his way .

Henry thinks to himself she is out of place in here and dressed like that .

She looks like she should be on a farm raising a family of her own.

Henry slows his step and bumps into the girl . ' Thudd " 

Howdy Ma'am  says Henry .

What is your name .

Why I'm Anna Nichole !

Who are you she says .

I'm Sargent Henry Frederick Ma'am .

Pleased to meet your acquaintance.

Can I buy you a drink ?

Anna Nichole replied " I tried a sip of daddy's whiskey once and I didnt like it, but thank you anyway".  Henry said " if the barkeep can make something  special and without alcohol for a lady, would you join me at a table and we could get to know each other better".  Anna replied "I'd like that.  I'll be at that table in the corner".  Henry stepped up to the bar and said "barkeep, give me a whiskey and I need something special for a lady with no booze in it".  The bartender was a large burly man named Ross.  He was good natured but could handle the trouble that came along with running a saloon.  He replied to Henry "I think I can make something the lady will like.  I'll have one of the girls bring your drinks to the table".  "Much obliged" Henry replied as he tossed a couple of coins on the bar and headed to the corner table where Anna Nichole was patiently waiting.  As Henry sat down he couldn't help but admire Anna's reddish brown hair, the way she looked in her homemade dress and her overall attractiveness.  Henry hadn't felt like this in a long time, maybe never.  The saloon girl brought their drinks and set them on the table.  Henry slid Anna's drink across the table to her, picked up his whiskey and proposed a toast.  " Heres to the purtiest gal I've ever seen" Henry said.  Anna blushed as they clinked their glasses.  She cautiously took a sip and smiled.  "That's very good.  Thank you".  "Dont thank me.  Thank the barkeep.  He said he had a special drink for a special lady.  Looks like he knew what he was talking about".  "Tell me about yourself, Henry.  What brings you to town?"  Anna asked.  Henry replied "I came into town with the cattle drive.  Had a little issue with some fellers, the Marshall got involved, but that's all cleared up now.  I'm sure I look like the devil.  I planned on getting cleaned up and getting some new clothes before I came in here but I just thought I needed to stop in here first.  Im glad I did."  "Im glad you did too.  I might not have met you if you'd had been gettin a haircut a shave a bath and new clothes, all that you could desperately use, I might add, but I can't stay too long.  "Why's that?" Henry asked.  Anna replied " Daddy sent my brother and I into town to pick up supplies.  Our wagon is loaded and my brother Ted likes the saloon on the other end of town.  He'll probably be looking for me soon.  I'd better go" Anna said as she finished her drink.  "Wait, when will I see you again?  How can I find you?"   Henry asked.  "My dad owns the circle R ranch about ten miles east of town.  You can find me there.  I'd be pleased if you'd come calling some time.  But be prepared. Daddy and my brothers are all very protective of me."  At that moment a cowboy who obviously had too many whiskeys staggered through the swinging doors.  "Anna Nichole, what are you doing in here?  I been lookin all over town for you.  Who's that you're with?"

"Ted," Anna said, "This is my new friend, Sergeant Henry Frederick," pausing just a second to make sure she got the name right. "Henry, my brother Ted."

"Why are you talking to my sister!?" Ted demanded, cutting off Anna's introduction. 

"Mister, we're just having a drink together. Her's is a Ladies Drink, so nobody'd think that I'm trying to take advantage of her."

"Get away from her, you trail bum!" Ted snarled angrily. "She's not for the likes of you1" As he said it, Henry could see Ted's hand moving towards his gun, and thought, "Oh heck, not again!"

Before Henry or Ted could get to their guns, a voice called out from the door, commanded actually, loud enough to be heard above the din in the Saloon, "HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!"

Henry, and everybody else in the place, looked to see who called out the order. It was C.J., Deputy Marshal Badge pinned to his shirt. His gun was still in it's holster, but the way his hand hovered over it, everybody could tell that it might not stay there for long. 

Ted started to bluster, "This trail bum is after my sister, and I'm not having it!" 

"That right?", C.J. said looking to Anna.

"No, of course not," she said. "We just met and were getting to know one another."

Ted started to say, "That's a l.." When C.J. cut him off.

"Now look here Bubba, if you finish that, I'm going to have to let Henry defend his honor. I've seen him in action, and even sober, you don't stand a chance against him. Besides, if he kills you, it might sour Miss Anna's opinion of him."

For a second it looked like Ted was just far gone enough to try it anyway. But C.J. told him, "Look over to the back door. As Ted did so, C.J. continued, "That skinny feller with the Badge over there is Deputy Hank Coles." Hank DID have his gun out. 

"Now, your sister is going to walk you to where ever you need to be. Hank over there is going to walk WITH you to make sure you don't think of anything ELSE stupid. At least for tonight."

"Deputy," Anna said. "We've got a wagon of supplies to get back to our ranch. I can drive it, so that we can head out right now if that's Okay."

"C.J. nodded, and told Hank to make sure that Ted got into the wagon with her.

After they left, C.J. sat down with Henry, and with a grin, asked, "Is every day like this with you?" 

Henry ordered a couple of drinks for CJ and himself.  He then replied to CJs question "ever since the war it seems like trouble has been following me around.  I dont go lookin for it, it just finds me, I swear."  CJ said "well maybe you just need a change of lifestyle.  Maybe that purty young gal you was a talking to might be just what you need."  Henry replied after thinkin a minute "you might be right and she shore nuff is a purty little thing for sure.  Just then Captain John and Amos stepped through the swinging doors.  Henry motioned them over to the table.  As Captain John sat down he said "well things are still in one piece here as well as he noticed several of his crew scattered around the saloon.  I've been going  around town checking up on everyone and so far there's been no trouble caused by any of my boys.  So I think it would be best if we head for home in the morning.  Amos go around the saloon and let the boys know the plan."  Amos got up and began making the rounds informing the cowboys in Captain John's crew.   Henry said" Cap, I won't be heading back with you all.  I've got some unfinished business with a gal I met.  Her daddy has a ranch east of here a ways.  I'm gonna go out there and continue where we left off when we were rudely interrupted.   "What's her father's name?" Captain John asked.  "I didnt get her last name or her daddy's name but he owns the Circle R ranch." Henry replied.  Captain John said "Owen Richard's.  I've met him.  He seems to be a decent man.  Henry we'll miss you on the ride home.  Come see me in the morning and collect your pay.  I sold the cattle and got a good price.  All of you boys will get a little extra for helping get the cattle here in good shape.  See you in the morning."  Captain John got up from his chair as he finished his drink and as he and Amos headed for the door he paused and directed this remark to those in his crew "you boys stay out of trouble for the rest of the night.  So far everyone has had a good time and no one has gotten thrown in jail.  Let's keep it that way.  Be ready to ride in the morning.  Good night."  He and Amos then left through the swinging doors.   Henry and CJ had another couple of drinks and talked of what happened, the war and such.  Henry then decided it was time to call it a night if he was going to get up early to collect his pay and get cleaned up to pay Anna Nichole a visit.

Morning found the cowboys slowly getting ready to hit the trail.  Some were saddling up others were in line at the chuckwagon where Captain John was doling out their pay.  When Henry got his pay be began saying his goodbyes to his friends.  As Santos and Cholo mounted their horses Henry waved to them and said "Hasta La Vista mi amigos."  He then headed to the mercantile for some new clothes, the bathhouse and barber shop.  He had also decided to ask brother Elmer to ride with him out to the Circle R ranch.  Marshall Matt gave the ok for Elmer to accompany Henry.  The two brothers saddled their horses and left town headed east.  They came upon the ranch mid afternoon.  When they got close to the gate of the ranch house, the sentry on the watch tower fired his Winchester into the air and hollered out "riders comin!"

Meanwhile back in town .

Matt is sipping his coffee and thinking about home and what Elmer told him about the red legs ransacking the farm and killing his  Ma and Pa .

Matt is happy to be reunited with his brothers.

With everything running threw his head , Matt says to himself I love this town .

What should I do ? 

Archived