SASS Wire Forum

Ukraine

Utah Bob #35998

So they changed the spelling of Kiev to Kyiv. And now they seem to be pronouncing it Keev.

This is getting as confusing as when I turned on the radio and they said Russia had invaded Georgia! 
“For the peaches?”, was my first thought.

Maybe they’re trying to confuse Putin.

I think I wasted my time in geography years ago. Most of the countries I learned have all changed their names. .......Stan seems to be popular.

Just checked my globe (that I got in the 50's) and it says "Kiev". However, it also has the Belgian Congo, French Indo China, French West Africa, Dutch East Indies, etc.

Eyesa - I couldn't find any "stans" on it. :D

18 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

So they changed the spelling of Kiev to Kyiv. And now they seem to be pronouncing it Keev.

This is getting as confusing as when I turned on the radio and they said Russia had invaded Georgia! 

Like when Cuba invaded Grenada.  Some folks in Memphis, about 100 miles north of Grenada, Mississippi got excited.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Great. Now the guy thinks he's Sherman. 

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I think I wasted my time in geography years ago. Most of the countries I learned have all changed their names. .......Stan seems to be popular.

A huge percentage of the countries I knew don't even exist any more.

The Germanys, Korea, North and South Vietnam, East and west Pakistan, half of Africa, USSR, and a host of others have vanished or changed their names or merged with someone else, divided into more countries with different names, or just appeared form our of some void somewhere....and I simply don't care.

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Ukraine! Runnin' all roun' m'brain.....

You take Mary, I'll take Sue; ain't no diff'rence 'twixt the two.....Ukraine...

Wow, haven't thought about that song in many, many years.

Archived