SASS Wire Forum

Current Rumor …. Ammo & Primer Supply

John Boy

Here is the bad news that we just received;

Due to the shocking news gathered at Shot Show we wanted to update our partners and dealers regarding the continued ammo and component shortages. The ammo and primer markets seem to be taking a turn for the worse. Booths at Shot Show for imported ammo brands like Aguila, Magtech, Maxxtech, Sellier & Bellot, and PPU were mostly empty and all had similar things to say about ammo for the coming year.

Due to extreme shortages in powder and primers, brands like Sellier & Bellot and Magtech have stopped taking orders for components until 2023 because they won’t have enough components to load their own ammo. This will heavily impact the primer market in the USA as there will be very few imported primers to fill the void left by the domestic primer shortage. This will heavily affect small to midsize ammo manufacturers who rely on outside sources for components.

The possibility of Russia invading Ukraine, In addition to the component shortages, will have a massive impact on the 2022 ammo market. We expect all Russian imports of components and ammo to come to a halt immediately once the invasion occurs. With estimates being as high as 40% of the ammo sold in the USA being Russian, the price of ammo will skyrocket if this supply chain is closed.

No more negative waves, please. :blink:

Saw report on new primer manufacturing facility being built in north Texas. $100M invested in the plant conversion. Suppose to be operational this year, I believe they said. If true it's about time...

18 minutes ago, Slimy said:

Saw report on new primer manufacturing facility being built in north Texas.

I would venture to speculate that if they are investing $100 million they didn't start construction unless they had contracts in place to supply their product. Banks wouldn't load money or investors invest unless they had some solid understanding of immediate revenue upon opening.

13 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I would venture to speculate that if they are investing $100 million they didn't start construction unless they had contracts in place to supply their product. Banks wouldn't load money or investors invest unless they had some solid understanding of immediate revenue upon opening.

Expansion Industries  is an existing ammunition manufacturer headquartered in Dallas TX. They also have a plant in Goodman Missouri that appears to be manufacturing brass cases for their exclusive use. Head Stamp is

EXP-IND.COM along with the caliber

They are adding primer manufacturing to their existing capabilities. They bought one or more of the ammo manufacturing facilities that are no longer being used at the Red River Army Depot. Because the facilities are already constructed for the manufacturing of ammunition and components all they have to do is upgrade the equipment and they are in business. 

Now for the downside. It appears that they have a checkered and sordid past. One can hope that they finally have their act together. 

Questions to the group regarding primers made overseas... what foreign manufacturers of primers are there out there that aren't Russian and why aren't they or why can't they be imported and be made available on the US market?  Is it in anyway similar or related to the ban on import of Russian produced ammo that the current administration in DC recently levied?  Does anyone have any thoughts or intel on this?

1 hour ago, ZigMar said:

Questions to the group regarding primers made overseas... what foreign manufacturers of primers are there out there that aren't Russian and why aren't they or why can't they be imported and be made available on the US market?  Is it in anyway similar or related to the ban on import of Russian produced ammo that the current administration in DC recently levied?  Does anyone have any thoughts or intel on this?

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/328224-range-report-ginex-primers/

1 hour ago, ZigMar said:

what foreign manufacturers of primers are there out there that aren't Russian 

I just received a case of French-made Cheddite shotshell primers that I ordered from Ballistic Products.  They seem to go "bang" every time.

I also scored a case of Federal Small Pistol Primers from another online store.  When you see them, act fast.  They're usually gone in 10 minutes. 

1 hour ago, McCandless said:

I just received a case of French-made Cheddite shotshell primers that I ordered from Ballistic Products.  They seem to go "bang" every time.

I also scored a case of Federal Small Pistol Primers from another online store.  When you see them, act fast.  They're usually gone in 10 minutes. 

You shouldn't have any issues with the Cheddite primers. I have heard however that American primers will be a bit loose afterwards though. Since I went Cheddite I haven't gone back and if I do, I'll just use a new batch of hulls.

I think the situation is getting. a bit better.  I've monitored Federal SPP prices on Gunbroker for a while now, and currently they're as low as I've seen in a while.  You can buy 1,000 small magnum pistol primers for 99.99 with no CC fees but shipping is $55, or you can buy them for $139.99 no shipping or CC fees. 

That's horrible compared to the .03 a primer we were paying a few years ago, but it's a lot better than the peak when it was closer to .20 per primer and up.

I think if you're careful bidding on an auction you can probably get 5,000 Federals for around $800-$900 plus shipping.

I don't think it is going to get better any time soon.I started buying a thousand  primers and a couple pounds of powder every payday years ago. Can't say I saw this coming just like to shoot and cash was always tight.

12 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I think the situation is getting. a bit better.  I've monitored Federal SPP prices on Gunbroker for a while now, and currently they're as low as I've seen in a while.  You can buy 1,000 small magnum pistol primers for 99.99 with no CC fees but shipping is $55, or you can buy them for $139.99 no shipping or CC fees. 

That's horrible compared to the .03 a primer we were paying a few years ago, but it's a lot better than the peak when it was closer to .20 per primer and up.

I think if you're careful bidding on an auction you can probably get 5,000 Federals for around $800-$900 plus shipping.

I found an old post from mar 2020 where i picked up 5000 federal 155's for $170 shipped to my door on gunbroker and thought that price was outrageous... I refuse to pay even $.05 per primer, I'll quit shooting first... 

Personally I think its a ploy, create a shortage that drives prices up 4X or more, then slowly bring supply back and lower prices by 25% and all the consumers are happy that prices went down and supply is back while the manufactures are making 3x what they were before the "shortage"... 

18 cents per primer, these people are crazy, i love this game but not that much...

2 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

I found an old post from mar 2020 where i picked up 5000 federal 155's for $170 shipped to my door on gunbroker and thought that price was outrageous... I refuse to pay even $.05 per primer, I'll quit shooting first... 

Personally I think its a ploy, create a shortage that drives prices up 4X or more, then slowly bring supply back and lower prices by 25% and all the consumers are happy that prices went down and supply is back while the manufactures are making 3x what they were before the "shortage"... 

18 cents per primer, these people are crazy, i love this game but not that much...

I’m not being snarky, and I’m sad to say it, but if you really feel that way then I suspect your shooting days are over when your current supply is exhausted. We’re not going to see .05 a primer again.

I think anything below .1 will be as good as it gets. I got 10,000 from Natchez for just under $1,000 delivered several months ago.

I should have asked my neighbor to buy 10k and sell it to me.

18 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

You shouldn't have any issues with the Cheddite primers. I have heard however that American primers will be a bit loose afterwards though. Since I went Cheddite I haven't gone back and if I do, I'll just use a new batch of hulls.

You are right on Cheddite. My LGS guy shoots a lot of shotgun and he loves Cheddite for their reliability, but he told me before the scare started that once you start using Cheddite. only use them because they will open the holes a bit, but he has never had one not go bang

Ballistic Products sells a tool for conditioning primer pockets.

Largo

This component shortage does hurt the new shooter and also those on fixed incomes. I see no end in sight and worry this is death by 1000 cuts, SAD indeed. The shooting sports are hurting.

On 1/27/2022 at 9:41 AM, StirrupTrouble said:

You are right on Cheddite. My LGS guy shoots a lot of shotgun and he loves Cheddite for their reliability, but he told me before the scare started that once you start using Cheddite. only use them because they will open the holes a bit, but he has never had one not go bang

I’ve been told that was true with the Yellow/Black cartons of Cheddite but not true if your buying the Blue/Pink cartons of Cheddites. 

Hello Everyone,

From our position (we own Two Bear Arms gun Shop, We the People munitions and Paradise Pass Range).Our network of suppliers have shown some improvement in availability. While we are no where near getting everything we want, we have been able to get our racks full of good firearms ( 750+ guns in stock), we have been seeing batches of primers coming ( 30 or 40 K at a time in several styles and brands but yes some Federal). From our distributors, ammo has dropped over 30% in price since mid 2020 and where the suppliers used to only show small quantities available in 9mm, 22, etc.. we now can pretty much buy all that we want. Hunting rifle ammo is still tough and most shotgun shells are tough to get. But overall we have seen a massive improvement in the supply chain. 

There is little doubt that we are at best a year away for the normal supply chain levels and realistically probably 16 to 24 months. But improvement is still improvement. I hope this helps to curve the fear slightly.  

On 1/26/2022 at 3:14 PM, McCandless said:

I had good performance with light Reddot and APP shotshell loads.  I would buy more if I could them.

On 1/28/2022 at 5:27 PM, Caboose said:

I’ve been told that was true with the Yellow/Black cartons of Cheddite but not true if your buying the Blue/Pink cartons of Cheddites. 

Good to know. When he was talking to me it was the yellow boxes he had. If I see the other color I will try them

On 1/28/2022 at 5:27 PM, Caboose said:

I only just started using Cheddites and it is a blue/pink carton.  They are definitely harder to seat than Federals.

23 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I only just started using Cheddites and it is a blue/pink carton.  They are definitely harder to seat than Federals.

Take your calibers and check the O.D. of each.

Archived