SASS Wire Forum

Zoot, an interesting offshoot of CAS, in Poland!

Apparently, short barrels and open bolts are not a problem in Poland!

For a game similar to ours, but obviously different, check out the video.

Sadly, it seems to have died out here in its country of origin.   Glad I made it out to Colorado for the World Championship a few years ago.

I wish we could get SASS to include Zoot, it is a load of fun, even though they do allow double action guns.

9 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I wish we could get SASS to include Zoot, it is a load of fun, even though they do allow double action guns.

I don't see why we can't do a Zoot side match at the larger shoots.

It's kind of a cross between Cowboy and Wild Bunch, with the cut off being 1949.

For pistols, you can use either 1 automatic, reloading as needed, a revolver, reloading as needed, or you can even stage multiple revolvers, swapping them out as needed.   And, unlike in the video, you can load the magazines to their maximum capacity.   So if you've got a Broomhandle with 30 round fixed mag, load it up!   Or, slap on the shoulderstock, and use it for your rifle.   (Or a Browning Hi Power for that matter)

For the rifle, Thompsons dominate, but I've seen just about every semi auto rifle that fires a pistol type cartridge that existed before the cutoff date, including the M1 Carbine.

For shotguns, things like the 97, Model 12, 87, and Browning Auto 5 seem to be preferred, along with a few other oddities.

One club where I used to shoot a lot, since they were restricted to steel shot, allowed ANY pump action or semi-auto shotgun, with a normal size magazine, because older designs could not handle steel.  

The place I shot also added a pocket pistol, think something like Colt Detective Special or a 1903 Pocket hammerless, on every stage.   

If I recall correctly, the rules allow for a mixture of steel and paper targets.   Things farther out tended to be steel, bang and clang, but it was not uncommon to see paper targets, and the closer you got to the 10 ring, you got more of a bonus.   As long as you hit it there was no penalty.   It was a bit complicated as I understood it. but for a side match it could be simplified, I suppose.

It's a hoot and half of fun.

Yup, it is a load of fun. .30 Mauser or 7.62 Tokarev is the minimum for diameter for main match guns. I would love to run my 1911 Super 38 or some of my 1917 S&Ws.

6 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Yup, it is a load of fun. .30 Mauser or 7.62 Tokarev is the minimum for diameter for main match guns. I would love to run my 1911 Super 38 or some of my 1917 S&Ws.

And .30 Luger.  :)

Running a Tokarev pistol along with a PPSh 41 is ridiculously fun as well.

Are you Bad Czech? I'm Deacon over there.

So what, 1930s Chicago gangster as portrayed in the movies?

You are making it sound like I need another outfit and another set of guns and gear. And an English translation of the rules. Anyone got an English translation of the rules? Asking for a friend.

Trying to find my copy of the rules right now. But yes, Prohibition Era, any gun made before 1950. Lead ammo of course.

I'm still waiting for Pirate Action Shooting.  I filled out an online questionnaire  years ago on Talk Like A Pirate Day and it assigned me my Pirate name: Black Davy Cash.   Just need two single shot pistols, a blunderbuss, and a sabre.  Arrrgghhh!

If you shoot the flintlock category, don't need no stinkin' primers!

:)

Notice the guy in the pith helmet has an 1866 Musket on the table.

CAS, Wild Bunch, Zoot, Pirate, Grand Army of the Frontier (Spanish American War thru the Philippine Insurrection), Civil War, WWI, WWII, _______.   (Fill in the blank.)

When you think about it, the basic template of our game could be adapted to a whole plethora of different ones.   Just determine the "era" and what the useable guns would be.

WOW that looks a real grin. And they say only America has guns! That would be a ball to play!

That's an older edition of the rules, but I do remember it.    A couple of specific changes I am aware of is that .30 Mauser, .30 Luger and .30 Tokarev are legal calibers, as are the guns that use them.    Pretty much any gun made in or before (or replica thereof) 1949 is okay.   I've seen people Zoot with reproduction Sterlings, Russian Burp Guns, Browning Hi Powers, and so on and so forth.

As mentioned, this is nothing new. Like SteamPunk, some have advocated for it being a SASS event.

I expect as the old cowboys head for the last roundup and younger generations take over, it might happen.in 50 years SASS may be unrecognizable. :(

I don’t really see anything related to Zoot in this though. Looks like just a shoot what ya brung match.

A007B436-0AE1-437E-8E59-239BAFB5AD74.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Seems to have faded from popularity, I remember Michael Bane doing a show on it once , looked interesting 

Not many silver screen Zoot Suiters to emulate though. ;)

I always thought it would be cool to have a Cops and Robbers match set in the 1960’s and 70’s using revolvers, shotguns and long guns the police used then. The robbers are the targets and they don’t shoot back…like CAS targets. ;)

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not many silver screen Zoot Suiters to emulate though. ;)

Maybe they need to go with a roaring 20’s theme instead, lot of old mob movies, newer stuff like boardwalk empire . 

The popular idea is that Zoot Suits are a thing of the Roaring Twenties al Capone gangster era. In fact they were popularized by black jazz musicians in the late 30s. Cab Callaway wore one. They were controversial and banned during the war for using too much material. The fashion was picked up by young Latinos in So Cal. And sparked the Zoot Suit riots in 43 which were parodied in  the movie “1941”.

Not really much tie in with firearms and Zoot Suits. No gun totin Mafioso would ever be caught dead in one. ;)

4 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Peeky Blinders is a pretty popular series right now, could even have international appeal like CAS 

Love that show. 

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

That's an older edition of the rules, but I do remember it.    A couple of specific changes I am aware of is that .30 Mauser, .30 Luger and .30 Tokarev are legal calibers, as are the guns that use them.    Pretty much any gun made in or before (or replica thereof) 1949 is okay.   I've seen people Zoot with reproduction Sterlings, Russian Burp Guns, Browning Hi Powers, and so on and so forth.

That is correct, those calibers are now legal.

Archived