SASS Wire Forum

walking on ice

4 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

image.png.f1a67331a943d2bdbf4164428d724f62.png

I've been telling people this for the last few years! Thanks for posting it.

Five six years ago I was visiting my daughter in Atlanta over Christmas. And it snowed.

When I took the dog out the next day, I was very careful as I walked. I took steps about 6 inches long. Had the leash in my left hand and my cane IN my right hand and I was being very very careful. Until I got out in the parking lot.

Up by the apartment, in the shade, there was snow and ice everywhere. But out in the parking lot, where the Sun was shining on it, it had all melted.

I figured it was safe to walk on it. Actually walk on it.

That was my introduction to Black Ice. I had made about three steps out into the parking lot when Idiot Child decided she wanted to go left, and I went down. And I couldn't get up. No traction. I crawled, on my hands and knees, across the parking lot to the gutter, where I could get up onto the grass. Then I could stand.

And I stayed on the grass. Going back to the apartment I circled the parking lot, staying on the grass and snow, and taking 6-inch steps.

Worst ice situation I ever faced was after an ice storm (freezing rain) that turned the sidewalk into a skating rink.  Didn't fall, but no way to walk. Got down on my hands and knees, crawled to the grass and crawled a block-and-a-half to my boarding house!

years ago my Girlfriend was snow skiiing in Lake Tahoe  4 days of double black diamond skiing fine

then loading the truck to come home she slips and lands on her tailbone

a very painfull 4hour drive home and 4 weeks of No boomboom for me 

Footwear.

Those deeply lugged soles with aggressive looking pointed treads may work well for climbing rocks, but will kill you on ice.

Do you know what Sperry Topsider soles are? Soft rubber, flat, with lotsa tiny grooves to squirt water out.  If you must walk on ice, get boots or shoes with soles like that.  Maximize the footprint area, and heed the recommendations in the first post.

Steel spiked golf shoes work well, but are hard to find these days.

12 years inspecting packing house freezers…

Howdy,

I have a water bottle full of gravel in the door of the car.

It has come in handy several times.

Ive been using it for many winters.

Kitty litter or oil dry  sure work better than nothing.

Best

CR

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Footwear.

Those deeply lugged soles with aggressive looking pointed treads may work well for climbing rocks, but will kill you on ice.

Do you know what Sperry Topsider soles are? Soft rubber, flat, with lotsa tiny grooves to squirt water out.  If you must walk on ice, get boots or shoes with soles like that.  Maximize the footprint area, and heed the recommendations in the first post.

Steel spiked golf shoes work well, but are hard to find these days.

12 years inspecting packing house freezers…

Best boots I had for ice were these funny army surplus white cloth material boots made for arctic use. They weren’t the “Mickey Mouse” boots but were similar. They hat nearly flat soles with little siping lines in them. They kept my feet warm and were great on ice. On snow, not so much. 

The best all around winter boots I have found are Sorels. Wonderful winter boots. 

I found carbide tipped inserts for fishing wader in sale bin at Cabelas.    I screw 3 of these into the heel of my Sorrel boots.  My reasoning is when you walk it's when your heel contacts the icy surface is when the fall begins.  Rarely slip when the foot is planted. similar to Crooked River Pete's  posting    Does not hurt that I carry enough weight to make the studs dig in either     GW

It works most of the time. Remember it’s still ICE. 

Archived