SASS Wire Forum

Josey Wales Matches

bgavin

I would like to know more about shooting a Josey Wales match.

Last weekend, I took a side trip to Heart Attack Hotel, and wound up with two stents.
This means no shotgun for a long X amount of time to avoid disrupting the stents.

During the current component shortage, one of my match directors has allowed me to shoot Single Six 22LR in lieu of center fire.
I also have a Henry Frontier rifle in 22LR, and a huge stock of 22 ammo.

Q: is there any allowance for mixing 22LR and 38SP for the required number of revolvers?

I would like to start shooting again, but cannot use the coach gun for 2022.
I don't have a clue as to how a JW match is operated.

During the shortages, we held a JW-style match with shooters using whatever combination of revolvers and ammo they had - all SASS legal. One used a DA 22 shot in single action mode only.  We also tried a "bring everything SASS legal you got" match using various combinations of CF and RF revolvers, 9mm and 45 auto 1911s, RF and CF rifles, and shotguns. Both worked out well, everyone had fun (most important), and we'll probly do it again this year!

As an aside, last year I had to have a dental implant on the left lower jaw. Being left-handed, the oral surgeon said NO long gun for at least 6 months, especially after the bone graft and the post install. So, I shot mostly revolvers till June - no problem with either club I shoot with. Accommodations can and should be made for everyone who wants to participate. Speak with the match MD.

JC

Our club offers a Josey Wales category at every monthly match, as well as our annual match, and even our Wild Bunch Match.  I think the biggest barrier to clubs allowing a Josey Wales category is having pistol bullets being shot at the normal shotgun targets.  Fortunately, our club's shotgun targets are up to the task.

As a reminder, the Josey Wales category is pistol only, so pistols are used for the pistol targets, the rifle targets, and the shotgun targets.  Typically, the pistols are holstered, the rifle/pistols are staged where the rifle would be, as is the shotgun.  The shotgun/pistol is loaded with 4 rounds, unless the stage calls for six, then it's loaded with five, and one round loaded on the clock.

When I shot Josey Wales, I would bring a 5 gallon bucket with three leather holsters mounted inside.  That would hold the three pistols I didn't have in my gun belt.  Other folks will put extra holsters on their belts to get the guns up to the firing line.

Josey Wales is the perfect category for someone that is healing up from surgery, or has some physical limitation that prevents them from shouldering a long gun.

9 minutes ago, Woody Shootem, SASS # 24816 said:

Our club offers a Josey Wales category at every monthly match, as well as our annual match, and even our Wild Bunch Match.  I think the biggest barrier to clubs allowing a Josey Wales category is having pistol bullets being shot at the normal shotgun targets.  Fortunately, our club's shotgun targets are up to the task.

As a reminder, the Josey Wales category is pistol only, so pistols are used for the pistol targets, the rifle targets, and the shotgun targets.  Typically, the pistols are holstered, the rifle/pistols are staged where the rifle would be, as is the shotgun.  The shotgun/pistol is loaded with 4 rounds, unless the stage calls for six, then it's loaded with five, and one round loaded on the clock.

When I shot Josey Wales, I would bring a 5 gallon bucket with three leather holsters mounted inside.  That would hold the three pistols I didn't have in my gun belt.  Other folks will put extra holsters on their belts to get the guns up to the firing line.

Josey Wales is the perfect category for someone that is healing up from surgery, or has some physical limitation that prevents them from shouldering a long gun.

When we did our combination match, we set standard pistol targets amongst the shotgun knockdowns for those using revolvers instead of shotguns. Worked well.

JC

Watching the W.C. video, I have to ask what is the difference between Duel Dualist and Gunfighter?

At my last match, I shot the same manner as W.C.
Single-hand cock and shoot of two loaded revolvers, in-hand.

[ edit ]

Sedalia Dave, my doctors are "English-not-first-language" types.
They are all educated in India, and utterly clueless about shooting sports.
Most are terse and speak as fast as an auctioneer.

The TRR club motto, one of many, is:  The most fun for the most cowfolk possible.

to that end we will let you mix and match calibers as you need to.

we also have a club category of Josey Wales available at every match  

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Watching the W.C. video, I have to ask what is the difference between Duel Dualist and Gunfighter?

At my last match, I shot the same manner as W.C.
Single-hand cock and shoot of two loaded revolvers, in-hand.

[ edit ]

Sedalia Dave, my doctors are "English-not-first-language" types.
They are all educated in India, and utterly clueless about shooting sports.
Most are terse and speak as fast as an auctioneer.

Duelist can only have 1 loaded pistol in hand at a time. So a double duelist can draw 1st pistol while 2nd pistol must stay in leather, once 1st pistol is empty you can draw the 2nd without holstering the 1st and fire the 2nd pistol, with the other hand (hence double duelist) till empty then holster both. Gunfighter can have both loaded pistols out of leather at the same time and can fire them one at a time or alternating.

Each club that offers this category has varying local rules, so check.  However, as Woody described above Josey Wales is shot with five pistols.  One for the shotgun, two for the rifle, and two for the pistol targets.  The shotgun and rifle pistols are staged per stage instructions.   This is a pretty open category, as to style of shooting and the ability to mix calibers.  Shotgun reloads and misses are club dependent rules.  It is a fun and challenging way to shoot.  Keeping up with five pistols at once can get a little confusing at times.    Good Luck with it, I think you will have fun.  

7 hours ago, bgavin said:

I would like to know more about shooting a Josey Wales match.

Last weekend, I took a side trip to Heart Attack Hotel, and wound up with two stents.
This means no shotgun for a long X amount of time to avoid disrupting the stents.

During the current component shortage, one of my match directors has allowed me to shoot Single Six 22LR in lieu of center fire.
I also have a Henry Frontier rifle in 22LR, and a huge stock of 22 ammo.

Q: is there any allowance for mixing 22LR and 38SP for the required number of revolvers?

I would like to start shooting again, but cannot use the coach gun for 2022.
I don't have a clue as to how a JW match is operated.

Best of luck to you.  If it was our club, under those circumstances, we'd let you shoot with .22 -- or a BB gun for that matter, if it keeps you shooting with us.  I hope other clubs see it that way too.  There's a lot more to this than competition.  

I have shot Josey Wales with five identical .45 pistols all the way to three different calibers, three very different brand and styles of SA pistols.  I find having different calibers helps keep from shooting the wrong targets with a pair of pistols and the resulting BIG penalties. At our club we load the SG pistols for the number of targets, hits that dont go down are a hit and if there are more than five targets then an on-the-clock reload is permissible but no more rounds than there are SG targets, no make ups.  We almost always shoot ten rifle targets so that one is pretty simple. The pistol targets are shot as normally done. Spotters must be reminded that SG target are scored like Bucaroos and must be hit and not knocked down. 

I use an old gunbelt with two straight drop holsters, two cross draw, a left and a right, worn on opposite sides as normal and a Gunbucket between the left pair of holsters. The whole rig is heavy even without pistols, so I have an additional pair of suspenders with no elastic.

I would be glad to talk with you about this and I can even text pix if you will PM me.

Imis    JW will also improve your pistol shooting

My cardiologist tells me I have a 3 month wait before shooting shotgun again.
He said my LAD coronary artery heals quickly after the insertion of two stents.
I am also a right handed shooter, which is farther from the heart itself, and farther from the left side affected artery.

April 16 would be the 3 month point, and the weather will be nice.

HA!!  NONE OF THE ABOVE!!

Iffin your gonna shoot Josey Wales, do it with FIVE Cap Guns!!  Prairie Dawg and Myself have been known to do dat.  Some kind of FUN you betcha.  Prairie Dawg even has a pair of Pietta Buntline 12 inch barrel 1851s to use as his "rifles."  Way too KOOL.  

Of course, between stages, your like a three legged kitty inna sand box re-charging 5 Cap Guns.

Archived