SASS Wire Forum

HUGLU COACH GUN

Buckshot Bear

Never had anything to do with one, but they sure are pretty.    GW

The safety does Not engage Unless you do it Manually, so if you don't want it on don't put it on .

I"m  super impressed with mine, it's a Cowboy deluxe, all the screws were "Timed" including the Butt plate Screws.

I having been using mine for about 2.5 years . I just wish it was a 16 ga. 

Jabez Cowboy

Huglu is the maker of the CZ Sharptail, sold in the US by CZ. I have one and it is quality. I would expect the hammered version to be the same. I cant answer the safety question. My Sharptail is as attractive as the pictured double.

Imis

11 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Does anyone own a Huglu coach gun?

Thinking of getting one.

How hard are they to disconnect the safety as easy as a Stoeger?

1.JPG.9eb509acc439c1ec425a33615997cbbd.JPG

2.JPG.34cf653380b75c4eba8822c523a22b2d.JPG

3.JPG.df202d0ce8bbb592181626a81d832526.JPG

If possible, I would suggest buying the CZ version if that is available, that way if something does go wrong (and I'm not saying it will) you'll have CZ's customer service to deal with and from what I have heard they have a pretty good reputation here in the U.S.

I have the earlier coach gun.  It is pretty and appears to be well made.  Each piece came in it's own blue velvet bag.

I do not use it as it has the dolls nose between the chambers, and I am not coordinated enough to load two shells around that protrusion.

I did keep it though as it is very pretty.

24 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

What are these like straight out of the box?

Most complain that they are stiff out of the box.  Just open and close it a few hundred times and shoot a flat of shells through it and it'll be loose enough. 

42 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

What's a doll nose? 

The correct name is dolls head.  It is an extension between the two chambers that goes into the receiver and provides an additional lock up.  It came out of the British shotgun trade of the late 1900's and was marketed as an "improvement" over the standard two lugs underneath the barrels that lock the shotgun closed.  From what I've read it isn't really necessary as the standard method (Purdey underbolt) is more than strong enough to handle the pressures of a standard shotgun shell.

There are numerous variations, the picture below is just one example:

th.jpg.b94dd2bf31446cafb169482beaf124c1.jpg

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

What are these like straight out of the box?

Right out of the box it did not open enough to load the shells. After some work it opened enough to use. DC

I bought my first hammered Huglu coach gun (HRZ) in 2018. I did some initial sanding on the chamber edges (not the hard chromed chambers themselves) and extractor plate. Yes, the shotgun will break in somewhat after firing a couple of boxes. The stiffness to open comes imho from the rods of the extractor. After sanding them a bit, mine was much better.

I got my second one end of last year, but haven't shot it yet, neither worked on it. Unfortunately, this new one has noticeably stiffer hammer springs. I want to have them replaced or reworked before I shoot it at a match.

About the safety: Yes, it is completeyl manually operated and stays where you left it all the time, unless you catch it with your hand while cocking the hammers simultaneously, like it happens to me now and then!! So, I try to pay more attention to that.*

Equanimous Phil

* Sure, I could also disconnect the safety. But while the chances that one of my firearms will be involved in an accident is close tho zero, I cannot completely exclude it, and in that case an opposing attorney would love a defective safety, even if it was completely unrelated to the occurrence. I already had enough bad experience with low probabilities in my life...

You can see in these two pics the centre barrel extractor. I had mine trimmed back (the second pic) as it tended to push the rounds apart when I was trying to load from over the top.

I really like this sxs.

huglu.jpg

Hug2.jpg

On 1/24/2022 at 11:09 PM, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

The safety does Not engage Unless you do it Manually, so if you don't want it on don't put it on .

I"m  super impressed with mine, it's a Cowboy deluxe, all the screws were "Timed" including the Butt plate Screws.

I having been using mine for about 2.5 years .  I just wish it was a 16 ga.

Jabez Cowboy

Ditto, and , say, 26" barrels.

Archived