SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaquero SASS One in a Thousand pair value

Mezcal Charlie

I am back and forth on this but I have a pair of the Ruger One of a Thousand NMV in Stainless hand engraved by Heidi Roos with 5.5” barrels in 45 LC. I also have OMV pairs, non sequential in 44-40 and 45 LC BCH. I am curious as to what people might think they’re worth. And I know they’re worth what someone is willing to pay but I’m looking for general opinions before I decide. Yes I could have 3 sets and you never have too many guns but here in the real world I need to behave myself. So do I keep these or the others? The 44-40’s I’m keeping (for now);)

These have the wood display case, the Ruger plastic cases and are in 98% condition. So throw in your two cents and help me out. 
   More pics may follow depending on my flu conditions improving. 

And yes I saw the pair auctioned on GunBroker but I’m not sure if that’s a fair example given that it was a NR seller and GB put a big “This May be a scam” box in the ad.  

BB81F703-AFA2-40F5-BED2-974B31C10C9A.jpeg

3916A470-7474-4C51-95ED-9FBB5C85BE33.jpeg

78AC1654-36EA-47EB-A55C-C5529BEEB717.jpeg

49A94B67-FC69-4B70-8C7D-3B1C59EDD52C.jpeg

Too pretty to shoot.  Just keeping the engraving clean would be a full-time job for me.

Someone with enough coins will surely want these.

I’m torn, most every gun I’ve owned was a tool. A utilitarian device beautiful in its execution of purpose not all shiny flash. Something I wouldn’t care if I dropped in the Jon boat or had out in the rain for a week. But these are special in that they are top notch in doing what they’re made to do and damn pretty to look at. Problem is, if I keep and shoot these a) hurts the value and that isn’t normally true on most guns and b) I have to sell a CHB OMV. 
   I’ve seen regular SASS pairs go for $1,800-3000 online. But I haven’t seen the sold price on one of these. If you have, tell me. 

Rugers are made to shoot. Engraving means little to the average shooter.

It's up to you if you want to look stylish.

Personally, when looking at guns I'm more likely to look at the bone stock versions vs engraved models. 

37 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Rugers are made to shoot. Engraving means little to the average shooter.

It's up to you if you want to look stylish.

Personally, when looking at guns I'm more likely to look at the bone stock versions vs engraved models. 

I don’t disagree but I wouldn’t buy a brand new Tundra mudding if I had a beater jeep. If I can find something else like a new lab puppy by selling them to someone else who either can afford to shoot them without concern of value or someone who collects then why not?

Sounds like you have already talked yourself into selling the pair.  I saw a 1 of 1000 sell at auction a year or two ago, price was around $4300 for the pair.  If your particular revolvers are new in box I suspect in today's market you could sell them for as much or more.  As Assassin pointed out, engraving means little to the average shooter.  Personally I'd list them on gunbroker and let the auction determine their value.

2 hours ago, July Smith said:

Sounds like you have already talked yourself into selling the pair.  I saw a 1 of 1000 sell at auction a year or two ago, price was around $4300 for the pair.  If your particular revolvers are new in box I suspect in today's market you could sell them for as much or more.  As Assassin pointed out, engraving means little to the average shooter.  Personally I'd list them on gunbroker and let the auction determine their value.

Thank you for the input and the only $ amount given. List price was $3,800 in 2005-06 but that doesn’t mean much here. I may be learning what Ruger learned; everyone wants but few want to pay. I think I’ll list here for a week and see. I may then sell the OMV pair in 45 instead. 

I have decided to keep and shoot these beautiful guns. I know some who saw them thought I was way too high but that was what I would take to give them up. I really do like them but was looking to generate some cash. But I had a change in my usual bad luck and Uncle Sam said that he owes me money from 2019. So I get to keep these and the OMV pair I have. Yeah for me!

So, did you decide to sell the 44-40s or the 45LCs?

I also have OMV pairs, non-sequential in 44-40 and 45 LC BCH. 

I have two sets one for shooting the other to as a gift for my grandson.  I my opinion unfired with original cases $4000.00 to $4500.00 is todays value. 

3 hours ago, Short Stack said:

I have two sets one for shooting the other to as a gift for my grandson.  I my opinion unfired with original cases $4000.00 to $4500.00 is todays value. 

That was my thinking and I didn’t want to shoot $4500 pair but there weren’t any takers so lucky me. They are beautiful. 

3 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

So, did you decide to sell the 44-40s or the 45LCs?

I also have OMV pairs, non-sequential in 44-40 and 45 LC BCH. 

I’m going to sell the 5.5” 45 LC CHB with ivory. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to buy a consecutive numbered pair of these today in 45 Colt. Both with original cases as well as a very nice Ruger Studio display case. IMO, i stole them at $3200. 

Archived