SASS Wire Forum

Chiefs/Bills

4 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

As I said yesterday, my wife likes to watch football and to me it’s basically background noise, even when it’s a Chiefs game. The last few minutes of this one however, were totally amazing!  A rarity in the NFL. 

All the games this weekend were nail biters at the end... exactly what playoff games should be.

I agree.  I just tuned into the station because there was a show on after the game I wanted to watch.  Caught it at about the two minute mark.  Unbelieveable last two minutes!

Great weekend for football!  Both of my teams are out now!!

C’mon racing season!!

Two weeks ‘til the Rolex 24!!

10 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

Only a week?   Planning on watching the end live.  Was a great end last year.  

As I said, both of the teams that I would support have been eliminated.  The teams that I want to see eliminated are also out, so I’m ready for racing season and after that, maybe some baseball.

I may come back and watch the Super Bowl if doesn’t conflict with the Rolex 24 and if I don’t have something to do in the shop.  

I’m a long way from having my Model T ready, but I COULD get the Harley ready fairly quickly and cruising season is

right around the corner!

A little tweaking on my Rat Rod and it could be ready to go in a couple of days!!

If I’m not hobbled with another health, (read that problem with my foot) issue, I plan to be out of the house this spring!!

It sounds like yet another argument for doing away with sudden death overtime, though. I hate that a game comes down to a coin flip at the end.

50 minutes ago, DocWard said:

It sounds like yet another argument for doing away with sudden death overtime, though. I hate that a game comes down to a coin flip at the end.

Agreed. But..... If the Bill's defense had come onto the field there would have been no overtime.

11 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Or if the Chiefs kicker hadn’t missed a routine field goal and extra point, there wouldn’t have been an OT. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Them’s the vagaries of sports. 

I still think both sides should have a shot, as in college ball.

Not that long ago, the OT rules allowed each team a possession, and before that it was sudden death, no matter the manner of scoring. But folks complained sudden death wasn’t fair, so they came up with the more “equitable” two possession rule.

Problem was, the score would tie again during OT, extending the game further and fans were complaining about the length of the game. I'm also guessing that advertisers and producers of shows that got delayed were pitching a fit, and probably played a bigger role in the decision than fans. A regulation length game takes well over three hours to broadcast and overtime adds considerably to an already-too-long game.

2 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

before that it was sudden death, no matter the manner of scoring

Which was OK when a really long field goal was 45 yards.  But with the techniques now 45 yards is pretty ho-hum.  Pretty much the team that won the toss in OT got to about the opposite 35 and kick a FG.  

I don't know the answer.  Maybe just play shortened "quarters" for whatever time is set for them.

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Which was OK when a really long field goal was 45 yards.  But with the techniques now 45 yards is pretty ho-hum.  Pretty much the team that won the toss in OT got to about the opposite 35 and kick a FG.  

I don't know the answer.  Maybe just play shortened "quarters" for whatever time is set for them.

The length of the quarters isn’t the problem. It’s all the time outs, instant replay/official reviews, coaches challenges and all the other stuff that delays the game. I’m old enough to remember when the game could be played in 2-plus hours. Some of this mollifies the “it was a complete/incomplete pass” arguments. But more importantly, it gives the NFL more opportunities for ad revenue. I don’t think they’ll ever move to shorten the game unless the networks see a drop in revenue from delaying other shows. 

However, I think in our lifetime the NFL will move to an all streaming subscription format like Hulu et al and drop over the air broadcasting altogether. We’re part way there already with ESPN Monday night and Amazon Prime/Fox Thursday games. 

Archived