SASS Wire Forum

Tried to give the NFL a second chance and they blew it

Trigger Mike

I tuned into see the last 2 minutes of thenfirst half of the playoffs yesterday and then once in a while after that.  

As the 49ers go down the field the final time the announcers promote a program on social justice sponsored by the NFL.  I quickly changed the channel.  They answered my question about if they finally focused on football instead of politics, which answered the question about if I was going to watch the playoffs and duper bowl 

I had to look up the half-time show:  

"Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem and Kendrick Lamar will join R&B singer Mary J. Blige during the 2022 halftime show. There are often surprise guests who show up during the performance, but that isn't expected for this year's show since there are already five headliners."

O Lordy.  Definitely directed to an audience that does not include me - or heck, most of the folk I know.  I hope they don't start with a rap version of the Anthem.    :huh:

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I tuned into see the last 2 minutes of thenfirst half of the playoffs yesterday and then once in a while after that.  

As the 49ers go down the field the final time the announcers promote a program on social justice sponsored by the NFL.  I quickly changed the channel.  They answered my question about if they finally focused on football instead of politics, which answered the question about if I was going to watch the playoffs and duper bowl 

I ignore all that and just watch the game. Football is still a great game. I don’t care about the social crap or the commercials for that matter!  I just like watching a good football game period!

25 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I ignore all that and just watch the game. Football is still a great game. I don’t care about the social crap or the commercials for that matter!  I just like watching a good football game period!

I am with you. America is about choice. I choose to watch occasionally.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Good on you.

I kind of always thought free speech went both ways - sometimes I will be exposed to opinions and propaganda that I don't agree with. 

But I am not such a delicate flower that my beliefs and personal ideology are in danger by a dissenting idea (or even ideas that I agree with in principle being ham handed force fed to me).

2 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I just don't want to give them money by watching.   They can do or say what they want to,  but I can also not let them profit off me doing it 

How are you spending money watching them? All these games are on regular TV. 

That last quarter was fun to watch.

I stopped watching when they thought it was OK to kneel for the Star Spangled Banner to support whatever social injustice they wanted to protest.  I’ve personally served side by side with men who have been killed in the protection of that very symbol of our country, and I will not watch overpaid athletes who enjoy the very freedoms that the flag represents dishonor their service or memory.   If you don’t like something by all means protest, speak out, bring awareness to your cause, but that is not the way.   How many of those same players have given up all or a good part of their salary for whatever cause their fighting for?  

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Right now the Rams seem to be trying to give the game away.  They had been up 27 to 3.  Now, with 2 minutes left, they are up 27 to 20.

AND fumbled ie away on their own 30!

Crud

I also root for Stanford , he deserves it for the time he served being the highlight for Detroit after Megatron retired 

Everyone has the right to watch or not watch.  Not watching doesn't make you more patriotic than those who watch.  Trying to shame or vilify those who watch puts you in the same camp as those who kneel, IMHO.

While Im sick of the heavy handed social engineering pontifications, life is too short to get all in a dither about it. And WAY too short to try to keep track of every corporation that caves to the social justice warriors.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I haven't watched a game in over five years and won't ever be watching again

13 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Right now the Rams seem to be trying to give the game away.  They had been up 27 to 3.  Now, with 2 minutes left, they are up 27 to 20.

AND fumbled ie away on their own 30!

Crud

Guess I gotta root for Stafford for the rest of the yr 

11 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I stopped watching when they thought it was OK to kneel for the Star Spangled Banner to support whatever social injustice they wanted to protest.  I’ve personally served side by side with men who have been killed in the protection of that very symbol of our country, and I will not watch overpaid athletes who enjoy the very freedoms that the flag represents dishonor their service or memory.   If you don’t like something by all means protest, speak out, bring awareness to your cause, but that is not the way.   How many of those same players have given up all or a good part of their salary for whatever cause their fighting for?  

I was under the impression that those men died for the PRINCIPLES and IDEAS that flag represents; up to and including speaking out against real or perceived injustices. 

The flag, the anthem is a symbol of everything we are supposed to represent and strive for - but they are only symbols - do not make the mistake of elevating those objects above the ideas they are supposed to stand for (and those symbols are much more diminished by our collective failures to uphold those ideas than by anyone exercising their right to not stand for them).

2 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I was under the impression that those men died for the PRINCIPLES and IDEAS that flag represents; up to and including speaking out against real or perceived injustices. 

The flag, the anthem is a symbol of everything we are supposed to represent and strive for - but they are only symbols - do not make the mistake of elevating those objects above the ideas they are supposed to stand for (and those symbols are much more diminished by our collective failures to uphold those ideas than by anyone exercising their right to not stand for them).

Yes, my men died for the Principles and Ideas that the flag represents, and yes that includes real or perceived injustices.  That does not mean that anything you do in the name of fighting for an injustice is acceptable.   And I’m not the one making a mistake, you are by belittling the very symbol of our freedom.   I’m proud of what the cloth of our nation stands for, and have risked my life in it’s defense, so don’t tell me “those symbols are much more diminished by our collective failures”.  That symbol represents our right to have failures and to try to change things.  

36 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

GOOD LORD!

All three playoff games this weekend have come down to the last 3 or seconds!

Be still my heart!

I believe all the winners have been visiting teams!! 

6 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Yes, my men died for the Principles and Ideas that the flag represents, and yes that includes real or perceived injustices.  That does not mean that anything you do in the name of fighting for an injustice is acceptable.   And I’m not the one making a mistake, you are by belittling the very symbol of our freedom.   I’m proud of what the cloth of our nation stands for, and have risked my life in it’s defense, so don’t tell me “those symbols are much more diminished by our collective failures”.  That symbol represents our right to have failures and to try to change things.  

Be very careful in generalizations.

You do not know me or my beliefs.

When you elevate the symbols and rituals above the values - when you contend that patriotism demands unwavering worship and silent, blind obedience - that is a danger.

This is the greatest country on earth but it is not great because of a flag or an anthem - the flag and anthem only hold value because of the greatness of our ideas and principles (and then only when we are striving to reach for them).

I didn't think he said anything about blind obedience or even unwavering. He did say basically there is a time and place for everything and during the anthem isn't it. And in that I totally agree 110%. 

And I agree with you that this is the greatest country on earth even with all its problems. You see I have worked in a lot of places over seas  in a 10 year span. And it isn't the anthem or the flag  per say. It is the men that chose to sign there life away for the duration of there service, especially those that fought and died in combat for our country. So its what that anthem and flag stand for , the great country you speak of and those men that died to preserve our way of life and our freedoms. 

So when you take a knee in my personal opinion you are disrespecting the fallen soldiers, the soldiers that served knowing they could be asked to forfeit their lives, and those serving now ready to answer the call to protect the people of this great country.

I see the blatant disrespect the vast majority of the players show by taking a knee on the field during the National Anthem. I do not like it , will not watch their games and will not support them by watching their games. SO if you want to support the disrespect and the agenda that they choose and that the media chooses to allow , by all means do so. It is your decision alone to make and why I served my country to help try to ensure your right to do so. Don't expect me to agree with it though, that is my right.

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Well said Tequila Shooter.

Semper Fi Brother

Advertisers pay based on projected views and market reached.  If I don't watch, then one less market is reached for their product.  Of enough do it, fewer add dollars are spent.  Add dollars are priced into the products they sell.

46 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Advertisers pay based on projected views and market reached.  If I don't watch, then one less market is reached for their product.  Of enough do it, fewer add dollars are spent.  Add dollars are priced into the products they sell.

Aren’t projected views done before the games? They don’t know if you watched or not. At least thats my guess but I’m no marketing genius!

Do they still use Nielson ratings?? <_<

9 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

You do not know me or my beliefs.

No, I don’t know you and at this time I don’t want to.  I’m going to take the high road here, I’ll follow the forum rules IRT political discussions and keeping it “clean”.  I’m ending my side of this argument so I won’t further debate your woke CRT views.

5 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

No, I don’t know you and at this time I don’t want to.  I’m ending my side of this argument so I won’t further debate your woke CRT views.

The feeling is entirely mutual.

And when your entire premise hinges on "It offends me" or "it hurts my feelings" - you're correct; you shouldn't debate.

Desiring to cancel the people who choose (as is their right) to not adhere to your beliefs or expectations; who disrepect a ritual and hurt your feelings sounds a lot more "woke" and social justicey than anything I said.

If your beliefs and rituals are so fragile as to be harmed by anothers exercise of free speech, free expression or peaceful protest or you are incited to anger because of the same - perhaps some inward examination is in order.

And since you wish to throw terms at me that I doubt you have researched further than parroting from whatever jingoistic news source you adhere to.

Here's a word for you to research;

Jingoism.

Back to football -  I dislike the Bills franchise , and hate the chiefs .

That said , after watching playoffs last two weekends ( among every week )........

Josh Allen IS the best quarterback in the NFL ! 

Tyreek Hill is the best receiver , Kelce is the best TE

From the first possession, Josh Allen played a serious, serious game last night !

Apparently sports franchises, actors, singers, artists, and even corporations now feel they have a right to use their public exposure to tell the rest of us how to think. That's fine, I guess the Bill of Rights allows that. But I also have the right not to listen to them or buy their products. Maybe if enough of us who feel that way put our money where our mouths are the "woke" people would realize their tactics aren't working.

Archived