SASS Wire Forum

Need to change powder - Advice appreciated

Buckshot Bear

I need to change my powder from ADI AP50N as I'm getting really low as we've burnt through a helluva' lot and need to keep what I have of it left for loading 9mm.

I have -

Win231 but need to save that for .32 wadcutters

ADI AS50N (jug)

ADI AS30N (jug)

ADI APS350N (jug)

ADI Trailboss (jug)

My current loading for .38's is ADI AP50N 3.4gn pushing a 125gn pill and its just a really nice load to shoot. My wife Jenorado, two sons and two daughter in laws all like it so I'd like to try and emulate it as close as possible with one of the above powders.

Been able find this information on the ADI website and also below, the velocities that I'm getting with the current load out of my rifle -

2.JPG.8383ac5cd2e908986f5fca9e3d94b306.JPG

3.JPG.0bf00ea2764a0f868d4fe42261775f19.JPG

Capture.JPG.435a517627a5dd4c7944b08302082fab.JPG

Capture.JPG.69abee456a11bc63c6f7ce05d5abcc96.JPG

As always....I know I'm asking a LOT of questions continuously and I do really appreciate all the answers and advice that comes my way, thanks pards.

The only one I have used is Trail Boss. Works well, but does flow slowly through powder measures, so watch it closely.

I never loaded to a power factor greater than 100 with a 125 grain bullet in .38 special.   That would seem to be something like that 30N powder, using the starting load listed above, to make 800 FPS.   Low recoil, accurate enough and powerful enough for most distances and most knockdowns.

But YOU know the AS powders so much better than we do, so perhaps there would be something wrong with that suggestion.

I just like a little bit of fast powder for Cowboy, rather than lots of slower powder.

And, why start loadng Trail Boss now if it is going to become unavailable until 2023.  You have 6 shooters to fill cases for, right?

good luck, GJ

4 jugs..doesn't matter what you start with..ya' gunna use em all !!

The new 350 doesn't burn as well as AS30..need to use a bit more if for the shotgun & using light loads.

AS30  is Clays.

AS50 is probably the one to start with, as has been said leave the TB till last.

Really ...flip a coin .

Bear I dont know about the powders available to you at this time. I have become a True Believer in Shooters World Cleanshot. I use it in 38/357, 9mm, .44 and .45 for cowboy loads. Also 12 Ga shotgun. I use 3.0 gr foe spp loads with 125 gr bullets. I also use 4.4 gr for lpp loads with 200gr bullets for COWBOY loads. It even works with 7/8 oz loads in 12Ga sg, 14.1 gr of Cs. It is an absolute joy to meter and is exceptionally consistent charge to charge. Good luck

Imis

27 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Bear I dont know about the powders available to you at this time. I have become a True Believer in Shooters World Cleanshot. I use it in 38/357, 9mm, .44 and .45 for cowboy loads. Also 12 Ga shotgun. I use 3.0 gr foe spp loads with 125 gr bullets. I also use 4.4 gr for lpp loads with 200gr bullets for COWBOY loads. It even works with 7/8 oz loads in 12Ga sg, 14.1 gr of Cs. It is an absolute joy to meter and is exceptionally consistent charge to charge. Good luck

Imis

Ditto. ^^^^^

In my 9mm's, and a few other pistols/rifles, I use CLEAN SHOT by "SHOOTERS WORLD".

Its VERY good stuff for its designed applications.   And, I have found it NOT to be temperature sensitive.    Hot or cold weather, it performs the same.

AND..... it flows thru your powder hopper like liquid mercury..... ;)

Its super consistant in its measured amounts.

..........Widder

6 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

AS30  is Clays.

Then that for SURE would be what I'd use, and try to find more of it.  Excellent for pistol cartridge and excellent for light 12 gauge.

All the others would be "not quite as good for Cowboy" in my book.

good luck, GJ

16 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I never loaded to a power factor greater than 100 with a 125 grain bullet in .38 special.   That would seem to be something like that 30N powder, using the starting load listed above, to make 800 FPS.   Low recoil, accurate enough and powerful enough for most distances and most knockdowns.

But YOU know the AS powders so much better than we do, so perhaps there would be something wrong with that suggestion.

I just like a little bit of fast powder for Cowboy, rather than lots of slower powder.

And, why start loadng Trail Boss now if it is going to become unavailable until 2023.  You have 6 shooters to fills cases for, right?

good luck, GJ

G'day GJ,

Pretty much Eeny, meeny, miny, moe choosing one of the powders I have, with the shortages (read NO powder) who knows when I will be able to replace any of the ones that I have left. 

23 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

ADI AS50N (jug)

ADI AS30N (jug)

ADI APS350N (jug)

ADI Trailboss (jug)

You gotta speak Merican.  We don't speak ADI.

19 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

YES!!

I hate it when manufacturers use the same name on different products.  Clays, Universal Clays and International Clays are all different.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I hate it when manufacturers use the same name on different products.  Clays, Universal Clays and International Clays are all different.

You get your wish......they have been renamed Clays, Universal and International now for about  2 years.

good luck, GJ

And if ya' get real stuck Bear [ gunna' whisper this cos' otheres will say 'no way ' ]...go to Combat Simulations in Lithgow..ask them if they have any black blasting powder, hunks of F' powder some as big as your finger nail, should come in a sausage bag shape & 2  1 / 2 kg's [touch over 5 LB ] ..when you get it home wet  down & crush  up with a wooden mallet..have it like play dough ..not to soft -not to wet..use some pure alcohol  [ isiprocol ] if you like but not a necessity, make a ball in your hands when it's 3/ 4 dry  press & rub it thru a  wire kitchen sieve into a container..will come out as small clumps & flakes. When dry it's a goer  !!

They may not have it down there..Combat Simulations in Helidon  Queensland  is only 40 mins from my home & they have some.

I've done this procedure with no problems as when you wet BP it becomes inert.

Makes 'Penty smoke & performs well. The price here is $ 100 including GST.

Not everyones cup of tea but will get you shooting..iffin' you want to use BP.

As an example speaking in grains ..I use 17  for 44-40 & 20  for C & B.

I don't use it a lot as I have ample smokeless & Wano BP , if stuck though  I would not hesitate to use .

IIRC there was a thread on this forum a few months back that concerned the powder Clays. When comparing an older lot of Clays to newer or the newest production, there was a noticeable change in appearance.  

My conjecture is that AS30N was first marketed as Clays, and when ADI improved AS30N to APS350, did Hodgdon continued to market it as Clays? ADI data differs between the two, is APS350 equivalent to another Hodgdon powder?

On the downside, ADI doesn't seem to be producing any of the APS powders at the present time. 

APS Propellants – As we’ve previously informed, we’ve had to make the incredibly difficult decision to pause active development projects and cease production of commercial reloading products under the Australian Pistol & Shotgun (APS) range for the foreseeable future." December 2021. (I suspect this may have something to do with the banning of Diphenylamine, one of the powders ingredients)

BB

14 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

And if ya' get real stuck Bear [ gunna' whisper this cos' otheres will say 'no way ' ]...go to Combat Simulations in Lithgow..ask them if they have any black blasting powder, hunks of F' powder some as big as your finger nail, should come in a sausage bag shape & 2  1 / 2 kg's [touch over 5 LB ] ..when you get it home wet  down & crush  up with a wooden mallet..have it like play dough ..not to soft -not to wet..use some pure alcohol  [ isiprocol ] if you like but not a necessity, make a ball in your hands when it's 3/ 4 dry  press & rub it thru a  wire kitchen sieve into a container..will come out as small clumps & flakes. When dry it's a goer  !!

They may not have it down there..Combat Simulations in Helidon  Queensland  is only 40 mins from my home & they have some.

I've done this procedure with no problems as when you wet BP it becomes inert.

Makes 'Penty smoke & performs well. The price here is $ 100 including GST.

Not everyones cup of tea but will get you shooting..iffin' you want to use BP.

As an example speaking in grains ..I use 17  for 44-40 & 20  for C & B.

I don't use it a lot as I have ample smokeless & Wano BP , if stuck though  I would not hesitate to use .

I have a good supply presently Mohawk, a few blokes are sourcing from a pyro company in Wollongong I've heard.

They've made it really hard for many gunshops to qualify to be able to store smokeless and BP on the premises. 

Archived