SASS Wire Forum

There's needs to be a 'Talk like a Cowboy' day

Buckshot Bear

I'm sorry but I find Deadwood the Movie to Be insulting, the Language is Crude to the extreem far and away more swear words than I can Remember hearing back in the 1970 and onward while working on a very large Ranch in central B. C. Canada ...

And we MOST certainly did Not use that kind of Language in front of the Fairer Sex !!!  And We Still don't .

Everytime I try to watch Deadwood I turn it off, because of the Language ... I even own a copy but have never watched all of it.

I can better stand Rough Living than Rough Language that serves no purpose, yes I have heard plenty of Cuss words from some pretty Rough Characters but mostly even they tempered their Language when Ladies were present ...

I feel excessive cussing is a sign of a lower IQ.     

Jabez Cowboy

18 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I'm sorry but I find Deadwood the Movie to Be insulting, the Language is Crude to the extreem far and away more swear words than I can Remember hearing back in the 1970 and onward while working on a very large Ranch in central B. C. Canada ...

And we MOST certainly did Not use that kind of Language in front of the Fairer Sex !!!  And We Still don't .

Everytime I try to watch Deadwood I turn it off, because of the Language ... I even own a copy but have never watched all of it.

I can better stand Rough Living than Rough Language that serves no purpose, yes I have heard plenty of Cuss words from some pretty Rough Characters but mostly even they tempered their Language when Ladies were present ...

I feel excessive cussing is a sign of a lower IQ.     

Jabez Cowboy

We need to remember that Deadwood is not about Cowboys at all. It is about a very rough lawless (technically illegal) mining camp in the 1870s. And from what I have read, they were rough indeed.

Folks like Seth Bullock, Al Swearengen, Charlie Utter, Martha Jane Canary, and Bill Hickok (the real people) were tough characters kinda on the fringe of polite society.

The writers and producers wanted a realistic depiction and so the researched documents, letters, news articles, journals etc of that time period. What they found was that if they used the rough expressions that were common at the time, people would mostly be confused by the unfamiliar language of colorful curses used. So they just inserted modern swearing. I understand that the language caused lot of people to switch the channel. It was without a doubt the most vividly profane program ever to hit TV.

Even I was somewhat taken aback for the first few episodes. But the story and acting drew me in.

I understand that the language caused lot of people to switch the channel.

The Gem Theater and Saloon 

9D10CCE2-1770-47AD-B943-00F8AF576E24.gif

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:
¡Sí, seguramente! necesitamos un día de hablar como un vaquero!

Translation: “Yeah, sure, cowboy” :P:lol:

Actually, what it says is;

“Yes, surely! We need a day of talking like a cowboy!”

I used me that there translation thingy. 

The above is hillbilly, not cowboy. ;)

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

How does that work? Pirates is baseball and cowboys is football.

That's going to be one strange game.

Clearly you have forgotten about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  Bucs took down the Pokes 31-29 just last September. 

Seamus

On 1/22/2022 at 9:41 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

There's needs to be a 'Talk like a Cowboy' day, like the Talk like a Pirate Day in September.

Yeah yeah ...... I know you cowpokes talk like a cowboy 365/ 24/7 

cowboy-with-a-lasso-animated-clipart.gif.360daa16028692c902851a62d3c2877a.gif

ARrrr we gonna cut 'em of at the pass or whistle Dixie.

Well, July 23 is designated "Day of the Cowboy" this year. so should we combine the two?

We have been celebrating the "International Day of the Cowboy" the 4th. Saturday of July since the 1970s....

This was from before being a "Cowboy" was Cool......

Jabez Cowboy

Archived