SASS Wire Forum

Greener Experts

Hermann Kuhl

I have a chance at a good deal on a true 1879 production WW Greener 10 gauge and I figure since it will show up at matches, y'all might be willing to help a guy out.

Anyone know a thing or two on these I could learn from?

So this one keeps getting weirder. I've reached out to W. W. Greener as well as odered a copy of "The Book" for more information. 

I expect they will tell me it was an 1879 production 11 bore choked to 12 with 30" barrels. Probably a middle/low grade gun.

Looks like it was rechambered but never reproofed for 10 gauge at some point long past. The screws are all boogered like it was taken apart by someone with the wrong screwdrivers (ie. not Greener or a british gunsmith). It's been a wall hanger for 60 years or more and I imagine that the unavailable shells have a lot to do with it.

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg

PLUS ONE for Sedalia Dave.  Shooting that one with modern ammunition, or even BP would be a fools errand.  Unless, of course, you can find cheap replacement eyes and hands.

Yeah I thought about it long enough to give up on pursuing it.

Present owner was simultaneously "not interested in looking into it (and looking to sell)" and then suddenly the price went to "no low balls, I know what I got". I know what he's got too...a shotgun shaped decoration.

Well, a fool and his money...

And I may be a fool. But I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

Got word back from Graham Greener at WW Greener (the same) with information that leads me to believe the gun is in an unaltered state so far as BP proofed barrels are concerned. It is not a Damascus gun but certainly never proofed for smokeless/nitro. Information was limited as it is over 140 years old but by the look of things it is a good example of a late Anson & Deeley action WW Greener. The book will help things as well.

With that in mind, I've made a good offer which defrays the cost of 10 gauge BP loads and the risk of buying nothing more than an object d'arte and the seller has accepted. Now to get a good supply of linseed oil and turpentine...

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 1873 WW Greener that has been in the family for 4 generations (it came into the family during the Depression so my Great Grandfather could feed the family).

I too contacted Greener direct and got a little history of the gun and the Book as well.

Unfortunately my Grandfather used smokeless rounds in it and the bulges that resulted make it a keepsake only.

I don't know how long and what fate this one will have for us but I do count myself lucky to have found it.

I was sort of secretly hoping it might have been in worse condition thus justifying a CAS "conversion" and eventual rework as a BP-Express rifle. She's a little rough in some ways but so very pristine in the one's which matter that I think, once a good cleaning and a little polishing is done, she'll be an heirloom hunting arm. Still might sleeve the barrel for 12 gauge though. 10 gauge is nuts.

Archived