SASS Wire Forum

Loading tray for C45S

Chief Rick

I have a couple of different loading trays but neither are really appropriate for C45S.

The holes that will allow the rim of the C45S case to fit swallows the short round and the shallow holes aren't big enough for the rim of the C45S.

Is there a short/shallow reloading tray that is appropriate for the C45S?

I've been using empty 45 colt trays from bought ammo. That said I typically don't use a tray until the round is finished. I load on a Lee Classic turret and generally set 10 cases on the bench and load each putting them in the tray as I finish each one. Ellis on MSGO at one time was making trays for loading. He could probably make what you want.

6 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

I've been using empty 45 colt trays from bought ammo. That said I typically don't use a tray until the round is finished. I load on a Lee Classic turret and generally set 10 cases on the bench and load each putting them in the tray as I finish each one. Ellis on MSGO at one time was making trays for loading. He could probably make what you want.

I drop the clean/empty brass into a loading tray so I can inspect the case mouth and give a quick spray of Hornady One Shot Case Lube before loading.

I'll cross-post and ask there.

Hey Chief

I'm probably no help at all.  I squirt a little case lube on the cases (laying on their side) in a empty shoe box then shake the cases > Dump them in the case feeder and go.  Don't need a loading tray.  Straight from the press to the cartridge box.  Same same routine  loading either smokeless (seldom anymore) or APP (My Fav)

My old Red (color) MTM loading trays will work for 45CS but I haven't used 'em in forever.

Can you find a loading tray for 45 Schofield (S&W) that is sufficiently short?

That's the problem with those dang wildcat cartridges - lack of trays.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hey Chief

I'm probably no help at all.  I squirt a little case lube on the cases (laying on their side) in a empty shoe box then shake the cases > Dump them in the case feeder and go.  Don't need a loading tray.  Straight from the press to the cartridge box.  Same same routine  loading either smokeless (seldom anymore) or APP (My Fav)

My old Red (color) MTM loading trays will work for 45CS but I haven't used 'em in forever.

1 hour ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

I usually tumble the brass, let dry, quick visual, spray with one shot and dump into the case feeder or bowl for loading.

KISS principle.

I don't have a case feeder.

I put my brass in load trays to check for split necks.  With the loading trays I have, the brass sits so far down in them that it's hard to see.

May be a little OCD but I don't like loading bad brass.

I hand check each of my brass by rolling it in my fingers and looking at the brass using a good light. Of course I'm shooting 38-40 bottle neck brass.

37 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I hand check each of my brass by rolling it in my fingers and looking at the brass using a good light. Of course I'm shooting 38-40 bottle neck brass.

After I drop my clean/empty brass in the loading tray I hold it under a desk light on one of my benches to check the necks.  I don't know if it's faster or slower than just picking up a piece of brass and inspecting but it's the way I do it.  It also keeps me organized, knowing I have enough brass to load a full tray of primers.

19 hours ago, Bingo Montana said:

The ones from Brownells work fine with C45S and are 10 bucks. 

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/case-preparation/loading-blocks/stalwart-wooden-loading-blocks-prod33205.aspx

25524FA8-DCFF-454E-A02B-51A790046DEE.jpeg

If they are too deep. A box of flat washers can make them any depth you want.

28 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I have a local that is going to make a couple up out of wood.  Preliminary pics look good.

33 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I was thinking of spacers in the hole, but any spacer that is loose will prevent you from dumping the brass out, or putting another tray on top and turning it over.  If you secured the spacers (glue?) to make a dedicated tray, that would work, though.

I make my own from 3/4" or 1" drops (offcuts) of wood from a local cabinet shop. They can be had for cheap or sometimes free.An inexpensive set of Forstner bits from HF,and you can make as many as you need.

Choctaw

Pics of one of the leading trays I was given with C45S brass in it.  Works like a charm.

Each tray will hold 60 pieces of brass. 

0124221739.thumb.jpg.7003c1434da8dca4b5f906be58c32c11.jpg

In the close-up, you can see a piece with a split.

0124221739a.thumb.jpg.0a322d3e6aa72bd8d1a8553c52c524f5.jpg

Archived