SASS Wire Forum

Lone Ranger

Utah Bob #35998

Watching Season 1 on the FETV channel. Whoever came up with the idea of using the William Tell Overature was a genius.

A High School buddy said if you can listen to William Tell Overture and NOT think of the Lone Ranger, then you're a "longhair".

I flew with a Captain at Continental who was a bit of a maverick. He played the William Tell Overture on the PA during takeoff. The passengers loved it but management found out about it and they were not amused. 

PF

On 1/22/2022 at 6:32 PM, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

We weren't allowed to play the Overture in music class.

Too bad. It would have encouraged the students a lot more than some of the selections we were forced to try!!

Our music teacher, Mr. Mills, who could brain you with a hunk of chalk when provoked, often let us work on pieces WE wanted to try and we did a lot better, learning our instruments.

7 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Too bad. It would have encouraged the students a lot more than some of the selections we were forced to try!!

Our music teacher, Mr. Mills, who could brain you with a hunk of chalk when provoked, often let us work on pieces WE wanted to try and we did a lot better, learning our instruments.

Ours would just break his baton and storm into his office. Usually for about 10 minutes. :lol:

Funny enough, although I'm Generation X and the Lone Ranger series was already an old rerun by the time I was a kid, I have never seen the movie with Johnny Derp (yes, I did that on purpose).  I've seen all the black and white episodes, though.  The movie previews looked lame, and I hate Johnny Derp's acting. 

On 1/22/2022 at 5:27 PM, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

A High School buddy said if you can listen to William Tell Overture and NOT think of the Lone Ranger, then you're a "longhair".

I’ve been at athletic events where the pep band played the overture and it never sounded right. 

The voice in my head kept saying “That’s the Lone Ranger’s song!”

Definite long hair here , from 68 -but just  entered the world then .

As a pre teen in the seventies no GI Joes or Evel Knievel (wanted badly though ),

I definitely had the masked man , Silver & Scout action figures and the wagon too !

I can definitely remember watching the original story like it was yesterday, probably was 6 or 7.

The thing I remember mostly was The Ranger had morals , honor and always did the right thing.

i post , and the ironic thing is - the first custom ringtone I ever had ( free) was William Tell Overture .

Later that day , I sadly found out Clayton Moore departed that very day .

3 hours ago, E.D. BLACK said:

The Ranger had morals , honor and always did the right thing.

The Lone Ranger Creed

"I believe...

That to have a friend, a man must be one.

That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

That God put the firewood there but that every man must gather and light it himself.

In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.

That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

That 'This government, of the people, by the people and for the people' shall live always.

That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

That sooner or later ... somewhere ... somehow ... we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

That all things change but truth, and that truth alone, lives on forever.

In my Creator, my country, my fellow man."

The Guidelines

11 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

A “highbrow”

I remember when classical music fans were commonly referred to as "longhairs." 

long-hair (n.) ... + hair (n.). As "intellectual," especially in musical tastes, "devotee of classical music," 1920 (late 19c. long hair was noted as a characteristic of classical musicians, perhaps inspired by the famous locks of Liszt).

Even Bugs!  ^_^

content//com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/1643103896755991638955.jpg

Someone put something on Facebook that a true classical music lover and a high brow can listen to the Overture and not think of the Lone Ranger!:o

Not me! i grew up with the Lone Ranger!

One of the patients down at the fool farm was trying to convince the doctor that he was cured. The doctor said they would test him.

They brought in eight naked women. One facing him, one with her back to him, one facing, one with her back, one facing, and the next three with their backs to him. The doctor pointed to the row of women and asked what it was.

"The Lone Ranger."

The doctor was shocked. "How do you possibly see The Lone Ranger?"

"Titty rump titty rump titty rump rump rump."

The Lone Ranger TV show lasted:lol: from 1949 to 1957. I had to look that up. Anyway, we had black and white TVs when I was a kid so all shows were in black and white and I remember being surprised when I found out that The Lone Ranger show were reruns. I just assumed we had a new adventure each week. :)

I do recall in High School commenting to one teacher that I found it odd that she thought the Lone Ranger Theme was “Classical Music”. :lol:

She was actually pretty amused by it and explained it’s origin. 
I was telling a friend about it, who was in the Marching Band and he said it was a good thing I never said that in front of the band director. Apparently Mr. Cappelletti threw an eraser at someone for calling the William Tell Overture “The Line Ranger song”. Mr. Cappelletti was wrapped too tight to be around kids. What a Maroon! :D

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

One of the patients down at the fool farm was trying to convince the doctor that he was cured. The doctor said they would test him.

They brought in eight naked women. One facing him, one with her back to him, one facing, one with her back, one facing, and the next three with their backs to him. The doctor pointed to the row of women and asked what it was.

"The Lone Ranger."

I will bet you have been saving this one for a while for just the right moment. HAHAHAHA :lol: Good One! :D

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

"The Lone Ranger."

I nearly sprayed coffee on that one! Don't do that!

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

The Lone Ranger was not the only TV show to use the Overture as a theme:

I remember that. Hideous!! Thank goodness they didn’t write lyrics for the Lone Ranger.

Here he comes, here he comes, on a big white horse

He’s good but he wears a mask of course

Catching crooks for him is a real fun hobby
A Tonto calls him Kemosabe!

:wacko:

I read, many years ago, where the Smithsonian Magazine hired some scholars to figure out what tribe Tonto was supposed to be from. Their only clue was that kemosabe meant trusted scout.

They studied and they researched and they checked every tribe of Indians in both North and South America. Nothing.

Then someone mentioned that in Spanish, kemosabe means one who knows, and Tonto means stupid.

Archived