SASS Wire Forum

New SASS AMMO TO TRY OUT, A +++ So Far- Tite-Gorup, 125gr LTC, Powder Coated

Buscadaro Bob

Hello Pards, 

Well with things being hard to get this day in time, I've decided to do some load development. Well I took my 125gr tc 9mm mold and casted a few just to see. Came out of mold at .357”. Added powder coat made them .359” so I ran through sizer and boom .358”. Casted from wheel weights and Eastwood Ford Light Blue.

Load some and tried them under some Titegroup and they are nice. 715fps chrono. The group is 5 shots off hand from my 4.58" smoke wagons at 45'..

dKxVc2o.jpg

gZ23VFJ.jpg

5 Shot Group 45' 

Au3oNiD.jpg

Power Factor

I sure does look like a load with some potential. I am curious, did you test for sensitivity to powder position. I usually chronograph 5 rounds with the powder forward and 5 with the powder against the primer. This can be revealing. For us chronograph guys, the Es and Sd are also a good stat to know. I'm not sure why the mystery on the amount of powder, or not mentioning the primer you used. 

There are so many combinations, it's nice to share data. A fellow cowboy shared his load with me at the range, and it aided in fine tuning my own load. We were using the same powder, same amount, in the same case, but different primers. 

Calibre

357 Mag

Date Loaded

2019-06-04

Powder

TiteGroup

Weight in Grains

3.3 (1S)

Bullet

Xmetal Hi-Tek

Weight in Grains

Primer

Fed 100

Loaded OAL

Case

Federal 357 Magnum

Weight in Grains

Times Loaded

Number loaded

Firearm

Barrel clean/fouled

Velocity Av

704/719

Es

34/28

Sd

13.5/13

Shots

5>/5<

My TiteGroup foray was not that extensive, showed promise but was set aside for some other load.

BB

My guess is about 3.1 grains!!  With 125 gr TCFP coated bullet from Chey-cast and 3.1 grains of titegroup, I get a 6 shot average velocity of 721 fps from one of my 5.5 inch Ubertis and an average of 710 fps from the other

I’ve been using 3.6 grs of TiteGroup with a 125 gr bullet for the last 3 years. Great round!;)

On 1/22/2022 at 4:23 PM, Buscadaro Bob said:

Hello Pards, 

Well with things being hard to get this day in time, I've decided to do some load development. Well I took my 125gr tc 9mm mold and casted a few just to see. Came out of mold at .357”. Added powder coat made them .359” so I ran through sizer and boom .358”. Casted from wheel weights and Eastwood Ford Light Blue.

Load some and tried them under some Titegroup and they are nice. 715fps chrono. The group is 5 shots off hand from my 4.58" smoke wagons at 45'..

dKxVc2o.jpg

gZ23VFJ.jpg

5 Shot Group 45' 

Au3oNiD.jpg

Power Factor

If those are 38s, I am not seeing the extended COL so many use to run in their rifle.

On 1/25/2022 at 12:13 PM, Buscadaro Bob said:

1.45" C.O.L 

Sample I have is 1.499, and I have seen mention of 1.50 as the nominal in common use. Basically it is a .357 Magnum, because that is what the common 1873 rifle was designed to shoot.

Archived