SASS Wire Forum

Local Cabela's ammo

Dantankerous

The local Cabela's had tons of ammo yesterday. Tens of thousands of 9mm and 5.56, .308 and 45acp but they are also getting in more hunting ammo, calibers I have not seen in two years including 30-30 and .243. Prices not pre pandemic, but almost reasonable. They even had decent shotgun hunting loads and .357 mag!

Maybe we're seeing the end to this crapola finally.

Is that the Herter’s brand of ammo or various brands?

Now that you mention it the guys at my LGS told me last weekend that they were to receive a huge order of 9mm, .45 ACP, .223 and he mentioned something else I didn’t catch. Now I am hoping he said .308. I would like to take my Garand out to play Monday and I don’t want to dip into my limited stash. 

19 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

The local Cabela's had tons of ammo yesterday. Tens of thousands of 9mm and 5.56, .308 and 45acp but they are also getting in more hunting ammo, calibers I have not seen in two years including 30-30 and .243. Prices not pre pandemic, but almost reasonable. They even had decent shotgun hunting loads and .357 mag!

Maybe we're seeing the end to this crapola finally.

Starting to But in 9mm 45acp. 5.56 7.62 I have more than they do . But since Bass Pro bought them they fill Bass pro and Cabelas becomes the Marines  and gets whats left .What sucks is Black Hills ammo is local  and they have been zero to retail for the last year   Miss Ultramax where I could walk in and buy bulk factory seconds off the dock

14 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Now that you mention it the guys at my LGS told me last weekend that they were to receive a huge order of 9mm, .45 ACP, .223 and he mentioned something else I didn’t catch. Now I am hoping he said .308. I would like to take my Garand out to play Monday and I don’t want to dip into my limited stash. 

Lots of different brands of ammo. Herters was just a small %.

I bet this store had 1000 rounds of various .308 just on the shelves.

IMO, we won't see a return to pre-pandemic prices any more than a new Chevy for $600 or a $14,000 house.

$100 primer bricks and $40+ pounds of powder are here to stay, I'm afraid.
People are willing to spend $70k+ for a pickup truck, so I figure they will pony up for ammo and guns also.

Walmart in Reno offers surprisingly good ammo prices when they can get stock.

2 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Any reloading components?

Yes, but not much. Some CCI and Federal LP Magnum primers,  small rifle primers and 6 lbs total powder of something I did not need nor do I recall exactly what. Good selection of bullets in many calibers though.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Our local Murdoch’s has had a stack (over 100) of 120 round ammo cans of 308/7.62 at $120 each for several weeks. Don’t know if that is a good price or not but counter guy says they have another pallet in the back and it is moving slow so will probably be on sale soon. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I'm seeing lots of rifle calibers and 9mm every time I drop by Bass, and other semi-auto pistol calibers.

But I've seen almost no revolver ammo; .45 Colt, .44 mag, .357 and .38. None. In fact, I bought more revolver ammo during the peak months of the shortage when they would roll out short supplies at various times. Even during those many months/year I was able to buy .45 and .38, and once in a blue moon .44 mag and .357. My supplies are good-- but now I'm seeing none on the shelves. 

I have no idea why. 

I went to my local favorite gun store and lo & behold they had PMC FMJ 147 grain .308 ammo. $24 per box of 20. I bought 4 boxes. $1.20 per round isn’t great but it sure beats $2.00 a round. 

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

But I've seen almost no revolver ammo; .45 Colt, .44 mag, .357 and .38. None. 

The LGS had no revolver ammo at all. Just 9mm, .45 ACP, .223/5.56 and .308. 

Now that the monthly child credit is no longer being deposited we might see a lot of things come back in stock and drop in price.  Cars might get back to normal.  

Gas going sky high will also eat into disposable income as well.

An executive from ADP was on cnbc the other day and said we still have not filled 4 million jobs that we lost during the pandemic.   All of the job gains were filling SOME of the lost jobs and now that many have not returned to the work force, the job they left may not return.  Some companies like McDonald's announced they are cutting hours since they can't find workers.  Companies are also automating, so as people can't get a job and the free money dries up, inventory will go up and prices will fall.

Was in Acadamy the other day and again today.

Shelves was full of ammo. 

But sadly. No Remington Shotgun shells. 

A bunch of AA light target. But no Remington (STS or Gun Club) 

Not a fan of the AA anymore.  

Ammo has been showing up in all the stores here but mostly 9mm, .223/5.56, , .308, .45 acp and .22lr . shotgun ammo is also becoming somewhat plentiful. 

10 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Was in Acadamy the other day and again today.

Shelves was full of ammo. 

But sadly. No Remington Shotgun shells. 

A bunch of AA light target. But no Remington (STS or Gun Club) 

Not a fan of the AA anymore.  

My Cabela's had one box of STS priced at $13.95.

19 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I'm seeing lots of rifle calibers and 9mm every time I drop by Bass, and other semi-auto pistol calibers.

But I've seen almost no revolver ammo; .45 Colt, .44 mag, .357 and .38. None. In fact, I bought more revolver ammo during the peak months of the shortage when they would roll out short supplies at various times. Even during those many months/year I was able to buy .45 and .38, and once in a blue moon .44 mag and .357. My supplies are good-- but now I'm seeing none on the shelves. 

I have no idea why. 

I am seeing revolver ammo hitting the shelves finally. All the calibers you mentioned and prices are coming down. Hopefully this trend continues and broadens geographically.

I saw lots of Hornady self defense 20 round boxes in all calibers. .357 in 158 grain JSP 50 round boxes. 44 Special and 44 Mag and 45 Colt 50 round lead and their price was still too high but not $1.50/round anymore, at least.

There is one ammo store chain here that is still sending out emails on “sales” where they took the gouging price and dropped it to a lower gouging price and called it a “sale”. :wacko:

I will be interested to see their pricing once ammo becomes more available. Regardless of their prices they’ll not see another dime of my money. They burned me one time too many. 

The name of this chain? LAX Ammo

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

There is one ammo store chain here that is still sending out emails on “sales” where they took the gouging price and dropped it to a lower gouging price and called it a “sale”. :wacko:

I will be interested to see their pricing once ammo becomes more available. Regardless of their prices they’ll not see another dime of my money. They burned me one time too many. 

Yup.

I just saw Hornady Critical Duty XTP 9mm at $21.95 per box (25 rounds). Add $10 shipping. Same shipping for a case instead of a box.

Not great but near the old normal. Still not seeing fmj plinking ammo at a fair price but it is off of the peak.

I expect to see other calibers to start showing up and dropping in price once the "big 3" calibers saturate the market. Most ammo if available still looks to be 2-1/2 to 3 times the best prices from a few years ago.

Shotgun shell supplies still seem surprisingly thin; is it a lack of manufacturing or still selling out as soon as it is made? I don't know...

Walmarts around here will have pallets of boxes of clay targets but no shotgun shells. Go figure.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am always amazed at the high prices in my email ads.

Archived